DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do "stealth" props make any difference?

The only difference they definitely make is in the weight of your wallet.

Do you think 4 blade stealth props would make any performance gains??

Attachments

• 6BA33A23-6870-428E-A9F7-A42D87FE25BC.jpeg
    6BA33A23-6870-428E-A9F7-A42D87FE25BC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
I just recently got a mavic mini and I am looking to change the props, but can’t seem to find them besides amazon which I dont really trust. Any suggestions from pilots with experience? Thanks guys

I've been recently reading some companies sell "stealth" propellers which "improve performance and are more quiet". Do these really make any difference? I mean, are they much more quieter or there is no difference?
I have the Mavic 3 version, it's not quieter but much lower pitch sound seems to be quieter

Yes, they are quieter, but only if the drone is further away, then you can hear a difference. They simply blend in better with the surrounding noise, and yes, they are quieter. ma1

Been using the Master Airscrew stealth props on my Air 2S. Just went with the usual black ones. To my own ears they're a fair bit less noticeable. Though I'm sure the decibel level is about the same, just the lower pitch makes them much less annoying and much less alarming to people. Haven't really noticed all the other claims they've made (ie: little faster, little longer battery life, etc), but I only got them so they didn't sound like a bag of angry hornets.

The lower pitch against an urban background seems almost non-existent.

Been using the Master Airscrew stealth props on my Air 2S. Just went with the usual black ones. To my own ears they're a fair bit less noticeable. Though I'm sure the decibel level is about the same, just the lower pitch makes them much less annoying and much less alarming to people. Haven't really noticed all the other claims they've made (ie: little faster, little longer battery life, etc), but I only got them so they didn't sound like a bag of angry hornets.

The lower pitch against an urban background seems almost non-existent.
little longer battery life - yes . faster - no

I've been recently reading some companies sell "stealth" propellers which "improve performance and are more quiet". Do these really make any difference? I mean, are they much more quieter or there is no difference?
Have a set of MasterScrews for a mini 2, haven't noticed anything other than a different noise pitch, still loud, can't tell any difference in flight time, no real speed gained, if anything it seems a little more sketchy hovering and do notice some twitching from time to time in live view

Have a set of MasterScrews for a mini 2, haven't noticed anything other than a different noise pitch, still loud, can't tell any difference in flight time, no real speed gained, if anything it seems a little more sketchy hovering and do notice some twitching from time to time in live view
If they are causing any negative impact definitely get ahold of the manufacturer, they're very good about resolving that as they should perform just as good as the OEM if not a lil better.

They are weaker and more fragile due to the effort to lower weight and i would prefer they were same density and weight as dji props. The dji props are just more sturdy and thats not speculation.
That's been my experience as well! The Master Screw props shatter like glass in any impact, wheres the DJI props bend and rip instead, and are more likely to make it back home, after any impact!

As others have said my personal experience is they are not much quieter.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
As others have said my personal experience is they are not much quieter.
If anything, their pitch is slightly different, making them seem slightly quieter, but it is marginal at best. Certainly not "stealthy."

If someone who has the props (I don't or I would do it) and an extra tablet or phone could download a decimal meter app (there are several free ones) and put the device on the floor hover the drone above it in a quiet room then do the same with the OE props at the same height and location. This would be very easy to do and should be pretty accurate (as long as height and location to the phone are the same) the pitch won't effect the volume. That will answer if it is actually quieter or just perceived as quieter.

If someone who has the props (I don't or I would do it) and an extra tablet or phone could download a decimal meter app (there are several free ones) and put the device on the floor hover the drone above it in a quiet room then do the same with the OE props at the same height and location. This would be very easy to do and should be pretty accurate (as long as height and location to the phone are the same) the pitch won't effect the volume. That will answer if it is actually quieter or just perceived as quieter.

I've done that for my M1P (and Spark).

From what I've read about newer model drone props from MAS, many say they at least notice a less annoying pitch, and probably are a little less attention getting from that perspective.

They seem really quiet on take off for both my older model drones.

Both are definitely less pitch, lower RPMs, and lower Db reading.

All the YT description info . . .

Data on Db levels, taken by iPhone decibel meter app from Devnex.
Distance from M1P 3 feet (approx 91cm), 30 seconds of avg Db reading.
It was quite a windy day, hovering low in scrub was reasonably still for test.

Average ambient Db reading was 50Db.
M1P OEM 8330 props Avg Db reading 72Db Motor RPMs 538
MPP OEM 8331 props Avg Db reading 70Db Motor RPMs 490
MAS Stealth props Avg Db reading 68Db Motor RPMs 465

The only difference they definitely make is in the weight of your wallet.

As the MAS props come in a set of 4, instead of pairs from DJI, the MAS actually worked out for me to be less expensive.
Though I did buy about 10 sets for the M1P and Spark.

Regarding my 2 db steps between props, I recall some sort of factor about how db are perceived for actual difference.

Just noted on checking online . . .

"In general, to measure loudness, a sound must be increased by 10 dB to be perceived as twice as loud."

Reactions: GadgetGuy
So that would support MS clams of a 2db decrease in sound
For intensity the formula is 10 log X (if something is X times louder, its 10 log X more db). So, 10logx=2, logx=0.2 so 2 db would be 10^0.2 times louder. This isn't much but the human earn can hear it and with the tone being lower it is perceived as an even greater decrease

So that would support MS clams of a 2db decrease in sound

Well I was sure it wasn't a truly scientific test, but I did repeat the db test twice each prop, and it was consistent.
The app seemed to work reliably.

I suppose a little better than a simple 'seems quieter' type of assessment :)

Reactions: Frank Dracman
Well I was sure it wasn't a truly scientific test, but I did repeat the db test twice each prop, and it was consistent.
The app seemed to work reliably.

I suppose a little better than a simple 'seems quieter' type of assessment :)
Noise is subjective anyway. It's really an issue of annoyance, rather than volume, db, and pitch. It's also not the pilot's perception that matters, but those around them that may be annoyed, and want to complain, or interrupt your flying. DJI has also made major strides in quieting their own props over time, further reducing any improvement that MS can achieve, at the expense of a much more fragile prop.

Ok so when we flew RC planes a prop with more blades, pitch and/or larger diameter could quiet the noise by the prop travelling slower . Do these quieter props have any visible difference in pitch or swept diameter or other differences ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karthikeyan103