DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you ever fly over 400 ft in US?

Do you always drive the speed limit? 400 ft AGL or above an "approved" structure....period.
Drive fast...get a ticket....fly too high....gives the public another reason to bad mouth droners.:)

Where I live (south fla) Everyone drives 15-20 mph over the speed limit. I’ve broken the 400 ft rule twice...by mistake.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Not to be the drone Police but if I see a video that looks to be over 400 feet I am going to start reporting them. It is because of these people, there are so many rules and regulations that are hurting our hobby and because of the time and effort I put in to be legal I just don’t feel like my fun should be ruined by them.

Did it ever occur to you that by you turning them in, you may in fact be shining a light onto a problem that might have otherwise not had a light shone on it? Are you helping anything, or potentially making things worse?

Another thing to observe here is how conditioned people are for fear of authoritarianism. Don’t get me wrong, the logic is sound. The fear is that so many other people are breaking rules and eventually the authorities will come in lazily with a broad brush and take things away. The attitude SHOULD be an expectation that the individual offender be held accountable for mishandling the object. Rather, in 2020, we’re just conditioned to operate as if it’s a foregone conclusion to just lose liberties all the time because a small percentage of people cause a problem. It’s too much to ask that any energy be spent to hold those people accountable. It’s just easy to strip things away from everyone. That’s what you should get mad at. Sure, a guy did a stupid thing with his drone, but what does that have to do with me? Why do I have to worry about my liberties as it relates to how others behave? You DO know that things are not supposed to work that way in this country right?

Obviously I’m going in on something of a larger “big picture” issue, but I see a lot of this type of wrong thinking when it comes to drones and the worries of new regs. I guess we’re now thoroughly populated by people who don’t understand what country they live in anymore.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Did it ever occur to you that by you turning them in, you may in fact be shining a light onto a problem that might have otherwise not had a light shone on it? Are you helping anything, or potentially making things worse?

Another thing to observe here is how conditioned people are for fear of authoritarianism. Don’t get me wrong, the logic is sound. The fear is that so many other people are breaking rules and eventually the authorities will come in lazily with a broad brush and take things away. The attitude SHOULD be an expectation that the individual offender be held accountable for mishandling the object. Rather, in 2020, we’re just conditioned to operate as if it’s a foregone conclusion to just lose liberties all the time because a small percentage of people cause a problem. It’s too much to ask that any energy be spent to hold those people accountable. It’s just easy to strip things away from everyone. That’s what you should get mad at. Sure, a guy did a stupid thing with his drone, but what does that have to do with me? Why do I have to worry about my liberties as it relates to how others behave? You DO know that things are not supposed to work that way in this country right?

Obviously I’m going in on something of a larger “big picture” issue, but I see a lot of this type of wrong thinking when it comes to drones and the worries of new regs. I guess we’re now thoroughly populated by people who don’t understand what country they live in anymore.

It actually appears that knight48 is too self absorbed, to care about anyone but himself. If he is part of the group that gets even more rules imparted on us, or our ability to fly drones at all, he doesn't give a care. As long as he gets to be a rat, he is happy.
So, sadly for you, he won't care at all about your well written post.

Last edited:
Don't bother. I got a first hand lesson there is absolutely nothing they can do. I contacted the FAA regional office responsible for NYC air traffic violations and they said unless they literally caught someone in the act there's nothing they can do. This [Language removed by ADMIN] had video's of himself flying over the hudson river. Maybe the most restricted and congested airspace in the country outside of Washington DC.

That statement from the FAA is very inaccurate to say the least. If that is how it was stated that person needs some re-training badly. I can tell you FIRST HAND that the FAA does investigate and take action WHEN they can get enough information that can be used to build a case. I've been involved with such cases and actions were taken (albeit a painfully slow process unless there is an actual incident).

If you have the correspondence available between you and the FAA Regional Office representative I would love to see it and pass it up the line. I'm confident that representative should be reassigned to another task besides speaking on behalf of the FAA. Feel free to PM me directly if you'd like.

Reactions: sar104
It actually appears that knight48 is too self absorbed, to care about anyone but himself. If he is part of the group that gets even more rules imparted on us, or our ability to fly drones at all, he doesn't give a care. As long as he gets to be a rat, he is happy.
So, sadly for you, he won't care at all about your well written post.
Blow it out your A—

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird