DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you fly within VLOS?

Do you fly within VLOS?

• Yes, of course, every single time.

Votes: 64 15.5%
  • I almost always do but occasionally have lost sight of my bird by mistake.

Votes: 141 34.2%
  • Usually I fly within VLOS but I will also fly outside VLOS as well.

Votes: 134 32.5%
  • I don’t usually fly within VLOS.

Votes: 66 16.0%
  • No, never, what’s VLOS?

Votes: 7 1.7%

• Total voters
I don't think the FAA expects operators to visually look at the aircraft 100% of the flight when there are several valid reasons to pay attention to your screen stats from time to time. However I doubt they would allow blindly flying around (out of VLOS) in the national airspace even if it is below 400'AGL. I do agree I spend more time at the screen to pilot the drone and capture a photo/video, but like any pilot I'm also looking for other aircraft and paying attention to the surrounding area my drone is in. I've always figured the reason to fly VLOS is to be able to make way for manned aircraft.

Exactly. If you are vlos, are hovering, look down at your controller for a moment or two, you are still in vlos.

Exactly. If you are vlos, are hovering, look down at your controller for a moment or two, you are still in vlos.

A good point, superstarpup. But one major consideration in flying beyond VLOS is this: Say your bird causes damage while BVLOS. It can be proven in court that you were NOT flying according to "generally accepted safety rules", and were therefor negligent. Most liability insurance companies would not back you, AND you may be liable for criminal prosecution.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR