DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you format cards in aircraft or in computer?

Odd. I don't format mine, I just delete all the files once I'm happy I have them transferred. I see no point in formatting a drive that doesn't require it.

Odd. I don't format mine, I just delete all the files once I'm happy I have them transferred. I see no point in formatting a drive that doesn't require it.
Me too. Maybe if you had 64 gb to transfer it might be faster to pull the sd card, but I doubt it.

Eventually you’ll have a full memory card. Copying files to another location does not delete the ones on the card. Then you have to reformat (erase) the card.
Nope. Once the files have been transferred, delete them from the card. Or use a move function in which case no deleting is required. Either way, format not required. A quick format would mark the entries as usable, so is almost the same thing as deleting files.

The difference to formatting the SD card rather then deleting/erasing all the files is, that a quick format simply doesn't put on many write cycles on your card, let's assume, with hundreds of images. They space is marked free, when the respective allocation table is reset with it.

In theory you should get a higher life expectancy of your card but in practice, it's negligible for consumer use with a good card from a well-known manufacturer. ;)

Reactions: BossBob and PAW
Well, Meta4 has certainly the right to give his opinion.

So here is another one:
At some point, this SD card will fail. Not IF but WHEN. One way to delay the inevitable is to keep and format that card with the same device.
Keep the Go pro SD card wih Gopro formating.
Keep DJI formating with DJI device.
Keep DSLR formating with DSLR device and so on.
It seems that a card can’t take various way of formating very well.
I would be amazed if you might be able to provide any evidence to support your claims here. It seems it is a poor assumption. I am genuinely interested.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I would be amazed if you might be able to provide any evidence to support your claims here. It seems it is a poor assumption. I am genuinely interested.
Haha .. I missed that first time around.
I'd also like to see anything to substantiate it, it sounds laughable.
But in any case, I don't have anything to worry about.
I only ever format my camera and drone cards in the computer ...
... because it's convenient and it works just fine (despite the myth that some love to push).

Haha .. I missed that first time around.
I'd also like to see anything to substantiate it, it sounds laughable.
But in any case, I don't have anything to worry about.
I only ever format my camera and drone cards in the computer ...
... because it's convenient and it works just fine (despite the myth that some love to push).
I format in my devices (camera or drone) simply because it is my workflow. I know I won’t have a card fill up mid session however the main benefit is a successful format completion in the device gives me comfort the card is working. Probably a little paranoid- the one lot of photos I can’t get again and never got was all it took. I’m just as comfortable with a successful format from my computers though.

I format in my devices (camera or drone) simply because it is my workflow. I know I won’t have a card fill up mid session however the main benefit is a successful format completion in the device gives me comfort the card is working. Probably a little paranoid- the one lot of photos I can’t get again and never got was all it took. I’m just as comfortable with a successful format from my computers though.
Whatever fits the way you like to work is good.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique