DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you format cards in aircraft or in computer?

I’ve always did mine in bird after I have dumped all in PC
In a file with the date. Then sort through later. So I guess
It really is just your habit. I just do it at the start of every
outing.

I like the format them from DJI GO.

Whether the drone or the camera, I choose to format my cards in the thing they are going to shoot in. Not sure it makes a difference but my thinking is that formatting it in the appliance/vehicle makes it more likely to "behave." I've not had problems doing this and this reinforces the process of dumping the content in the computer and formatting in the end user.

Format in the MAV - works fine.

Reactions: awsan5
Looks like I am in the minority ? but like I say old habits die hard.
I can make sure the format worked properly on my PC rather than hope whatever device it’s inserted in dose the expected.
Whatever works for you is the best.

Reactions: PAW and dirkclod
Looks like I am in the minority ? but like I say old habits die hard.
I can make sure the format worked properly on my PC rather than hope whatever device it’s inserted in dose the expected.
Whatever works for you is the best.
There will always be people that tell you you shouldn't format in anything other than the camera/drone.
But it really makes no difference.
Format wherever it's convenient for you.
For me, that's the computer after I copy the images across.
In doing it a couple of thousand times each year since I went to digital, I've never encountered a problem.

There will always be people that tell you you shouldn't format in anything other than the camera/drone.
But it really makes no difference.

Well, Meta4 has certainly the right to give his opinion.

So here is another one:
At some point, this SD card will fail. Not IF but WHEN. One way to delay the inevitable is to keep and format that card with the same device.
Keep the Go pro SD card wih Gopro formating.
Keep DJI formating with DJI device.
Keep DSLR formating with DSLR device and so on.
It seems that a card can’t take various way of formating very well.

Well, Meta4 has certainly the right to give his opinion.
Keep DJI formating with DJI device.
Keep DSLR formating with DSLR device and so on.
It seems that a card can’t take various way of formating very well.
It seems you've assumed that various devices have different ways of formatting SD cards.
There's no difference in the way, DJI drones, Windows computers and all digital cameras I've ever used, have the same kind of formatting for SD cards.

After flying when i get home i copy files from card to NAS.and check they are good copies. Next day i check that the overnight backup of NAS is OK and if so format card in computer

If away from home I download card to laptop and then download to NAS when net is available. Format only when sure of backup.

Every once in a while I will hit it with SD Formatter.
I was directed to it when I thought a sport camera was defective.
Professional photographers swear by its functionality.
You get to the download through this SanDisk link.

It seems you've assumed that various devices have different ways of formatting SD cards.
There's no difference in the way, DJI drones, Windows computers and all digital cameras I've ever used, have the same kind of formatting for SD cards.
Well in Windows don't you get the choice of exFAT32 or NTSC? Sureley there is a possible difference right there?

Well in Windows don't you get the choice of exFAT32 or NTSC? Sureley there is a possible difference right there?
If you dig deeper there are options but the default standard is FAT32 - exactly the same as what any DJI drone uses.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78