DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

do you need a cell phone to fly the avata2

I have just ordered the Avata 2 Combo.
This will be my first FPV so it will be all new with pairing and flying.
Am in Australia so we fortunately don’t have these restrictions over here.
Seems that US is getting very restrictive.
Am flying Air 2 S and Mini 4 Pro.

I’m in UK, I’ve had my Avata 2 for a week now and you only need the phone to activate the drone and pair the goggles and controller via the fly app (and also firmware updates)

Afterwards the phone is not needed when flying.

Simply turn on goggles 3, MC3, and drone and you are ready to go.

Reactions: Torque
I’m in UK, I’ve had my Avata 2 for a week now and you only need the phone to activate the drone and pair the goggles and controller via the fly app (and also firmware updates)

Afterwards the phone is not needed when flying.

Simply turn on goggles 3, MC3, and drone and you are ready to go.
my problem was I couldn't get the fly app to download. I messed with it for 2 days got sick of the frustration. Maybe I was doing it wrong but after 2 day I give up.
I'm thinking about getting the goggole and controler to do my mp4 FPV cause I'd still like to try FPV but if I'm gonna have the same problems trying to set that up I, just don't know. Like I said I'm no techy and I get frustrated easy when thing don't go the way there suppose to.

Do I have to download the fly app to use my mini pro for with the goggle and motion control

my problem was I couldn't get the fly app to download. I messed with it for 2 days got sick of the frustration. Maybe I was doing it wrong but after 2 day I give up.
I'm thinking about getting the goggole and controler to do my mp4 FPV cause I'd still like to try FPV but if I'm gonna have the same problems trying to set that up I, just don't know. Like I said I'm no techy and I get frustrated easy when thing don't go the way there suppose to.

Do I have to download the fly app to use my mini pro for with the goggle and motion control
You have to download the app from the DJI website, not from the phone's app store. Not sure if that was the problem?

Reactions: KLRSKIR
You have to download the app from the DJI website, not from the phone's app store. Not sure if that was the problem?
well it would have been nice if they told you that. I was trying to download from Playstore dam

well it would have been nice if they told you that. I was trying to download from Playstore dam
Oh man, I am so sorry! I was just reading back through this and saw nobody had mentioned that. It is a common problem. But yeah, that was the issue that prevented you from getting the app downloaded.

Sorry too I guess I just considered you would have know that since we've seen you around the forum for more than a few and it has been discussed specifically several times. Kinda shocked DJI didn't mention it when you asked for help. After asking less than 5 questions, if they were really being helpful they would have spotted that almost immediately.

well It gone now.
Do I have to download the fly app to use my mini pro4 with the goggle and motion controls gone now.

well It gone now.
Do I have to download the fly app to use my mini pro4 with the goggle and motion controls gone now.
I still don't understand; you have a mini 4 pro? You cannot fly the mini 4 pro without the Fly app....you already have the DJI Fly app, why do you keep asking if you need to download it, how have you been getting along with your Mini 4 Pro without it? Did you download some other app (instead of the correct one) to use with your Mini 4 Pro? If so, you need to ditch it please and get the correct (authentic) DJI Fly app because YES you need it is the short answer. Just get it using the approved link and you won't ever have to worry about whether you need it or not with anything drones or controllers you buy from DJI. ;)

I don't understand If I buy the goggle and the motion control Im not using a phone at all were does the fly app come in

well it would have been nice if they told you that.
It's on a big yellow sticker that's right in your face when you open the box.

I don't understand If I buy the goggle and the motion control Im not using a phone at all were does the fly app come in
So you are using the Fly app, just on a "phone" that's built into the controller.

You will most likely need a phone with the Fly app to update the new goggles and the MC 3.

When using Goggles 3 to connect to Mini 4 Pro, can I control with the DJI RC 2?

Yes. However, the live feed will only display on the screens of Goggles 3 and not on the screen of DJI RC 2.

Source

Why can't I do this on a PC, why does a phone have to be involved. Can't I just plug the stuff into a PC and do the update there . Doesn't seem reasonable that I can't do it on a PC.

Like im getting frustrated again trying to get answers so I think I'll just not bother getting the Goggles and MC. If its this much trouble trying to find out about using a PC insted of a phone I can't imagine what problems I'll have if I did buy the goggles and MC . I really wanted to try FPV but I guess I'm just not tecy enough to do it.

Why can't I do this on a PC, why does a phone have to be involved. Can't I just plug the stuff into a PC and do the update there . Doesn't seem reasonable that I can't do it on a PC.
Yes, you can do it with a PC as well. Just go to the DJI website and download the fly app from their site to the PC, then activate the drone, goggles and controller via the PC. You repeat the procedure for all firmware updates.
So phone or PC, either will do what you need.

Like im getting frustrated again trying to get answers so I think I'll just not bother getting the Goggles and MC. If its this much trouble trying to find out about using a PC insted of a phone I can't imagine what problems I'll have if I did buy the goggles and MC . I really wanted to try FPV but I guess I'm just not tecy enough to do it.
Is it too much to ask to get a cellphone involved, even if it means just temporary? I think the reason why many cannot answer "for sure" is because it isn't the normal or popular way to activate. However, for me....it is. I strictly use the Mac and software for all equipment activation and software updates first and the over-the-air process is secondary. However, it's been awhile since I've done it and I don't want to tell you it can be done for sure unless I recall precisely. Especially for the FPV equipment which is reused from previous drones so when you buy and activate the drone itself, you don't generally need to do the same for the accessories; just update the software.

I prefer not to use a mobile because I find the computer to be more reliable and straightforward and not as much subject to IOS or Android details like cell vs wifi or memory or screen that don't pop up correctly. I know for sure you can update the software with a PC for everything, it's just the activation piece I don't remember for sure. If I plan to snag care refresh at time of activation, I tend to go with the non-PC because I remember you are prompted immediately upon activation and you can easily complete it there. Otherwise, none of it is particularly hard or difficult unless you run into errors or unforeseen problems. Honestly DJI has done amazing work to make this a really non-technically process, you just have to follow the instructions precisely and details matter. Long gone are the days of updates crashing in the middle and bricking devices, screens freezing up and refusing to reboot, drivers being incompatible and failing to detect, and other mismatch and incompatible ridiculous errors we used to spend hours troubleshooting. Oh, and the is forum *will* help for sure; we just need pictures and videos. ;)

Yes, you can do it with a PC as well. Just go to the DJI website and download the fly app from their site to the PC, then activate the drone, goggles and controller via the PC. You repeat the procedure for all firmware updates.
So phone or PC, either will do what you need.
Thank you i can do it all on PC no phone yeahhh

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661