DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you need to do a compass calibration if your last flight ended on a metal object ?

two important things to take from this thread
(1)the reasons for doing a compass calibration can vary considerably, and if you decide to do a calibration it might make things worse, if it is done in an area where there is a magnetic anomaly causing it in the first place,so just a simple move a short distance can resolve the issue
(2) the rights and wrongs of choosing whether to only calibrate if the drone asks for it ,or choosing to do more often is really a personal choice for each pilot to make

Never said it had anything to do with magnetic interference it has to do with geo location and its return the home standing next to a metal structure interfers with that. Try it with a compass and see if you can find your bearings further l said flight session not each flight
  1. What kind of "interferences" were you referring to when you wrote "each day and site has different layouts and interferences", if you did not mean magnetic interference?
  2. What does compass calibration have to do with geo location?
  3. How is a compass calibration going to help if you are standing next to a metal building that interferes with the compass?

Each person has their own procedures l was taught to carry out the check as part of my Certification rightly or wrongly.

That's fine, but the amount of misinformation I've seen from allegedly professional trainers is disappointingly high. It's worth keeping an open enough mind to consider that they can be wrong - especially on the more technical aspects where they don't really understand the science.

That's fine, but the amount of misinformation I've seen from allegedly professional trainers is disappointingly high. It's worth keeping an open enough mind to consider that they can be wrong - especially on the more technical aspects where they don't really understand the science.
I suspect as we are in the UK it may be different to the US. I do know the CAA provide the trainers with the requirements for certification.

I suspect as we are in the UK it may be different to the US. I do know the CAA provide the trainers with the requirements for certification.

What may be different? If you mean the quality of trainers, maybe. Either way, what you were taught is incorrect.

I will agree to disagree as l said everyone has a procedure for startup. If you dont feel you don't have to do it thats fine by me.

Obviously you can have whatever startup procedure you like. I was questioning the reasons you gave for that procedure, but if you are not interested in discussing them then fair enough.

It is always good practice to run a compass calibration before each flight session. ... Doing so will avoid complications during flights.
as l said everyone has a procedure for startup.
It's even better practice to understand what compass calibration really does (and doesn't do).
That will have a genuine positive impact on your flight safety, wheras unnecessarily recalibrating as a superstitious ritual before each flight won't.
it has to do with geo location and its return the home standing next to a metal structure interfers with that.
Try it with a compass and see if you can find your bearings further l said flight session not each flight
That confirms that you've been trained by someone that has no idea of what compass calibration actually does.
It's all about the drone and the magnetic fields that are part of the drone.
Compass calibration has nothing to do with anything outside the drone, nothing at all to do with where the drone is or what's around it.

Early on in droning, there was a lot of misinformation about compass calibration.
The facts are well known nowdays but old myths still persist.

Reactions: sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121