DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you really need a license to fly in Costa Rica?

Morketh

Reactions
I am going to Costa Rica in a week or so and I was hoping to bring my Mavic but after reading that you need a license that consists of 48 hours of theoretical training and 10 hours of practical training by schools authorized by the DGAC I'm not so sure I should even bother...

All I want to do is fly it for maybe 30 minutes and get some video of the area and maybe a pic of me in a pool or something. Kind of lame to need to get a license just to do that...

Reactions: Chadnovz

Yo new regulations out last aug 13, 2017. Google july 7, 2017 costa rica star drone news. You need a license to fly and it’s ridiculous their requirements lol leaning on not bringing my drone anymore to costa rica. Its such a hassle now.

I am going to Costa Rica in a week or so and I was hoping to bring my Mavic but after reading that you need a license that consists of 48 hours of theoretical training and 10 hours of practical training by schools authorized by the DGAC I'm not so sure I should even bother...

All I want to do is fly it for maybe 30 minutes and get some video of the area and maybe a pic of me in a pool or something. Kind of lame to need to get a license just to do that...

I agree. I just read the regulations. Sucks big time

I just read up on this. I was wondering if the DGAC would accept a 107 certificate in lieu of their license but also noticed that Costa Rica does not have what you call a bi-lateral agreement with the US where certain certifications would be honored in a host country, I think my drones are staying home! :(

Hi there. I sent this email to a DGAC inspector and got the answer below...

Dear Mr. Xxx

In a couple of days, we will come to Costa Rica for vacation. I planned to bring my dji Mavic Pro drone with me to make some pictures and videos for personal use. I was looking for the current laws concerning drones, but unfortunately i only find very contradictory informations.

What i found so far is the following:

• You cannot fly higher than 120 meters (400 feet)
  • You must fly stay at least 8km (5 miles) from an airport
  • You cannot fly within 30 meters (100 feet) of any house or building
  • You cannot fly over large activities or groups of people without prior authorization
  • The following areas are completely off limits to drones, La Reforma Prison, The Presidential House, El Ministerio de seguridad publica, Arenal volcano, La palma passage, The Zurqui Tunnel, El Murcielago Police Training Center
Are there any licenses or permits needed to fly a drone in Costa Rica?

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Kind regards

Answer

Greetings Mr. Xxx, for recreational use of the drone you must only comply with the operating limitations (attached).

See the attached document.

Attachments

• cc05_15 opr drones AIC.pdf
    15.5 KB · Views: 211
I'm having te same problem, I needed to take mine for my PhD but we called yesterday and she said for recreational purposes you don't need a certificate or a license. They don't make it easy though the regulations seem to say you need the license but now with both our confirmation's I think we can assume it's okay

I'm having te same problem, I needed to take mine for my PhD but we called yesterday and she said for recreational purposes you don't need a certificate or a license. They don't make it easy though the regulations seem to say you need the license but now with both our confirmation's I think we can assume it's okay

Fly away! Thank you

Help!! Has anyone nailed down the requirements for recreation drone use in Costa Rica? I wrote the DGAC regarding this new law effective Aug 2017 (waiting for a response). I am going in January and was super excited until reading reading about these new laws online. I am also wondering if I wanted to comply with these ridiculous regulations, anyone know how to get a recognized certification in Canada? I know it’s totallt not worth it for a two week trip but I really really want to get some Costa Rica footage :)

Help!! Has anyone nailed down the requirements for recreation drone use in Costa Rica? I wrote the DGAC regarding this new law effective Aug 2017 (waiting for a response). I am going in January and was super excited until reading reading about these new laws online. I am also wondering if I wanted to comply with these ridiculous regulations, anyone know how to get a recognized certification in Canada? I know it’s totallt not worth it for a two week trip but I really really want to get some Costa Rica footage :)

Hello. Ive been posting threads about costa rica. Check it out bud. Basically no need to get license for recreational flying. I also read that law back in aug 2017. Check reply #9 in this thread

Also you dont need certification in canada. Unless youre flying for commercial

Thanks for the reply! I know I don’t need certification in Canada for recreation I was just wondering how to get certification in Canada to be recognized and able to fly in Costa Rica. So from what I can tell Costa Rica has a new law BUT the people who work at DGAC are unaware or providing information that does not agree with their own standards and laws LOL. Talk about confusing! I have also written them and asked the same question. I want them to answer me directly with the same answer so that I can at least show the airport security the email should they give me a hard time. Was there any questions at the airport in CR about the Mavic or just walk on through? I would imagine that even if you did require a license, transporting the drone would not be an offender (as you may be going to another country next that allows it like the US).

Please keep posting your experiences!
I have been researching this issue with regulations and restrictions regarding drone laws for months and I STILL have not been able to clear things up. I emailed 3 different DGAC officials with no reply; I have spoken to the FAA multiple times and they gave me no help. I am a high school senior and I will be traveling to Costa Rica in April with my high school on a tour. It's my dream to take footage with my drone.
Apparently, the restrictions that were put into place on August 13, 2017 fully go into effect 6 months later (February 13, 2018). I still do not know if the license/hours of training/high school diploma applies to tourists using their drone in Costa Rica.

I have been going through the same thing. After many weeks of researching I found someone on the forum here who was a saving grace. He sent an email to multiple staff at DGAC and received a response stating that for recreation use, license is not required. They attached the restrictions (which are basically same as US/CAN ie where you can can’t fly etc) and said that those only need to be followed. I have this email in my possession and plan to show it to officials should I have any issues.

I have also registered on the DGAC website and received a “License Number” for my Mavic.

I am going there on Jan 20. I will post of my experience. No freaking way I’m leaving my Mavic behind with so many ridiculous photo ops in Costa Rica.

I have been going through the same thing. After many weeks of researching I found someone on the forum here who was a saving grace. He sent an email to multiple staff at DGAC and received a response stating that for recreation use, license is not required. They attached the restrictions (which are basically same as US/CAN ie where you can can’t fly etc) and said that those only need to be followed. I have this email in my possession and plan to show it to officials should I have any issues.

I have also registered on the DGAC website and received a “License Number” for my Mavic.

I am going there on Jan 20. I will post of my experience. No freaking way I’m leaving my Mavic behind with so many ridiculous photo ops in Costa Rica.
I can help you with this
I can help you with this
I can help you with this

This is the guy who helped me!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan