DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you really need a license to fly in Costa Rica?

I have been going through the same thing. After many weeks of researching I found someone on the forum here who was a saving grace. He sent an email to multiple staff at DGAC and received a response stating that for recreation use, license is not required. They attached the restrictions (which are basically same as US/CAN ie where you can can’t fly etc) and said that those only need to be followed. I have this email in my possession and plan to show it to officials should I have any issues.

I have also registered on the DGAC website and received a “License Number” for my Mavic.

I am going there on Jan 20. I will post of my experience. No freaking way I’m leaving my Mavic behind with so many ridiculous photo ops in Costa Rica.

Yeah dude post your experience as soon as you arrive at costa rica airport

I have been going through the same thing. After many weeks of researching I found someone on the forum here who was a saving grace. He sent an email to multiple staff at DGAC and received a response stating that for recreation use, license is not required. They attached the restrictions (which are basically same as US/CAN ie where you can can’t fly etc) and said that those only need to be followed. I have this email in my possession and plan to show it to officials should I have any issues.

I have also registered on the DGAC website and received a “License Number” for my Mavic.

I am going there on Jan 20. I will post of my experience. No freaking way I’m leaving my Mavic behind with so many ridiculous photo ops in Costa Rica.

Can't wait to hear about your experience. Good luck!

Also, was it easy to receive a "License Number" from the DGAC? How exactly did you do it?

Hey guys, just to keep the conversation going. I flew Southwest airlines out of BWI directly to Liberia airport with my DJI Phantom 3 drone for the first time Dec 30th. I also registered my drone on the DGAC website and received a “License Number” just in case. I printed out the information and had it in my drone bag just in case it was needed. I printed a label with the "License #" and stuck it on the drone as well. I successfully flew my drone numerous times while in various areas of Costa Rica. Flew it on playa Buena Vista in Samara; flew it in the mountains of Mira Vales, and flew it on the main beach area in Tamarindo while the police were patrolling the beach and no one ever asked me any questions. The flight in Tamarindo was around 9 am local time so there were not many people on the beach, so I was still in compliance from their request to not fly over densely populated areas. We just go back from CR January 14th, that was the morning I flew it in Tamarindo. So I think as long as you get the drone registered with the DGAC website and have the document with you as a precaution, you should be good; I don't think it is likely someone will even ask about it. Hope this helps someone.
Thanks
DJI_0022.JPG

Reactions: OWLSP
Hey guys, just to keep the conversation going. I flew Southwest airlines out of BWI directly to Liberia airport with my DJI Phantom 3 drone for the first time Dec 30th. I also registered my drone on the DGAC website and received a “License Number” just in case. I printed out the information and had it in my drone bag just in case it was needed. I printed a label with the "License #" and stuck it on the drone as well. I successfully flew my drone numerous times while in various areas of Costa Rica. Flew it on playa Buena Vista in Samara; flew it in the mountains of Mira Vales, and flew it on the main beach area in Tamarindo while the police were patrolling the beach and no one ever asked me any questions. The flight in Tamarindo was around 9 am local time so there were not many people on the beach, so I was still in compliance from their request to not fly over densely populated areas. We just go back from CR January 14th, that was the morning I flew it in Tamarindo. So I think as long as you get the drone registered with the DGAC website and have the document with you as a precaution, you should be good; I don't think it is likely someone will even ask about it. Hope this helps someone.
Thanks
View attachment 28938
Thanks for the info! I'll be flying there next Wednesday! :)

Thanks
View attachment 28938

Great information!! Do you have the website to register the drone? I’ll be there March 24-30.

Thanks

I FLYBOYJ,
i'm going to CR in one month and i want to bring my mavic with me,
but i don't know what i need to feel in each boxes, ca you help me? :D

View media item 1559
Name
Passport Number
Password
Telephone
email
residence
You'll have to play around with the characters when entering the phone number. I got back last night, had a blast and flew my drone with no issues

Dont worry about those. I filled that up in the website but nobody really cares about the drone in costa rica. Not even at the airport. I was just there from jan 24-feb 1. No issues at all

592561fae86faa73c321a09fd5230758.jpg

Heres my drone shot of Manuel Antonio National Park

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Dont worry about those. I filled that up in the website but nobody really cares about the drone in costa rica. Not even at the airport. I was just there from jan 24-feb 1. No issues at all
We were there at the same time! Arenal, Manuel Antonio and then on to Monteverde with a stop in Jaco. I took a Spark with me, had a great time!

jaco.JPG

Reactions: Chadnovz
is the License plate generated on DGAC website ( RPAS-***-CR) would it be what you need to put in the drone and that is it ?

Thanks
View attachment 28938

is the License plate generated on DGAC website ( RPAS-***-CR) would it be what you need to put in the drone and that is it ?

Actually you dont need it. Didnt have any issues at all even at the airport. Passed thru customs without any problems.

Actually you dont need it. Didnt have any issues at all even at the airport. Passed thru customs without any problems.

I have been reading ppl saying you don't need it but I'll just print it and stick in the drone just in case. So that is the plate than?
Did you fly in natural parks as well ?

Reactions: Chadnovz
I have been reading ppl saying you don't need it but I'll just print it and stick in the drone just in case. So that is the plate than?
Did you fly in natural parks as well ?

Was able to fly inside manuel Antonio national park. Do you have an email? Ill send you the email from dgac

[email protected]
Did you fly in arenal ?
I'm planing to go to manual antonio , any recommendations/places to fly there ?

Arenal i wasnt able to because of the weather that time. Go to el avion restaurant in manuel Antonio and look for ken. Hes the manager there and a fellow mavic pilot. You can bring the drone into the park. Beautiful beaches there. Maybe you can go to jaco beach too. Check my youtube channel under chad noval.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972