DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you remove the propellers before putting in the case?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I just got my M2P yesterday and love how easy the props are to put on and take off. But having had a Mini for a short time, and in that short time have found warped propellers when I thought I was securing the propellers properly before casing, and also getting "hover drift", which I have to believe due to wobbly props, presumably fixed by replacing the screws, I'm a little gun-shy about handing the M2P with props on. Obviously the Mini props are nearly paper thin and have no mass to them at all, so logically would be subject to becoming distored, making flying difficult.

I guess the bottom line questions are; how much special care do the propellers on the M2 need, and do you take them off before putting them in the case? The bonus question is- Which case do you use? I have the Fly More case, an Apache 2800 that would just barely fit the essentials. I'm also considering ordering this case from Amazon for $38 which has the cutouts aleready built in, but not as sturdy as an Apache or Pelican. Thoughts on cases? TIA

I do this:
  • Go out for a day of flying, which is usually multiple flights. Inspect the props thoroughly the first time (top, bottom, edges, etc.) looking for cracks or damage. Put the props on
  • Fly, then land and pack up with props on to go to the next location
  • After I land from what I believe is my last flight of the day, I take the props off when packing it up.
The AC packs just fine with the props on (if you have a case/backpack that allows for that), but I still take them on as a reminder to inspect them at the start of the next flying day. Some folk might say that one should check the props for every flight, even during the same day, so I would add the following points to the above:
  • For the subsequent flights of the day, when you take out your aircraft with props already on for another flight, you might consider taking a quick inspection of the props, because damage might have occurred on the last flight you did just previously that day
  • If this is the first flight of the day and you find that you forget to take them off last time, you still want to do a thorough inspection (as if they had been taken off before).
Chris

I leave my props on all the time but do check them thoroughly before every flight. I use a hard case made by Lykus with cutouts and there is zero force on the props when in the case.

I take mine off
I think that they're easy enough to put on and take off, unlike the Mini. I hae to wonder if it does any harm to the drone if it sits on the spindles?

At this moment, first "real" flight I used the Fly More bag because that's what I have right now, plus a backpack. I've grown accustomed to carrying my Mini's case inside my backpack along with landing pad, and other extras and the FlyMore bag fits ok, but I just don't want the props jammed in any way. So today I removed the two front props going and coming because they seemed most likely to get caught on the bag and jammed. It also allowed a little extra breathing room for the rear props that I left on. I think it took all of 30 seconds or less. It was ok, but I'm not fond of the tight fit of the FlyMore bag in general... but it's convenient. I've got this dedicated case coming tomorrow [ M2P Drone Case via Amazon ] which might change my view of things one way or another.

I think that they're easy enough to put on and take off, unlike the Mini. I hae to wonder if it does any harm to the drone if it sits on the spindles?

At this moment, first "real" flight I used the Fly More bag because that's what I have right now, plus a backpack. I've grown accustomed to carrying my Mini's case inside my backpack along with landing pad, and other extras and the FlyMore bag fits ok, but I just don't want the props jammed in any way. So today I removed the two front props going and coming because they seemed most likely to get caught on the bag and jammed. It also allowed a little extra breathing room for the rear props that I left on. I think it took all of 30 seconds or less. It was ok, but I'm not fond of the tight fit of the FlyMore bag in general... but it's convenient. I've got this dedicated case coming tomorrow [ M2P Drone Case via Amazon ] which might change my view of things one way or another.
I carry the lowpro backpack with the smart controller mavic zoom epson bt35e glasses 3 batterys snacks and water and they all have a case lol

Attachments

• 15964010099484723408245341793099.jpg
    15964010099484723408245341793099.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
Did you notice this label in one of the side pockets of the flymore case?
I am not certain of its accuracy as I find it a very close fit with the props on but the central shafts are awfully exposed without them.
To be honest if there was a case similar to the mavic mini's case but for the M2P/Z that didn't cost a bomb I might go for it

Attachments

• m2p flymore label.jpg
    m2p flymore label.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
Did you notice this label in one of the side pockets of the flymore case?
I am not certain of its accuracy as I find it a very close fit with the props on but the central shafts are awfully exposed without them.
To be honest if there was a case similar to the mavic mini's case but for the M2P/Z that didn't cost a bomb I might go for it
DACCKIT makes a good case that wont break the bank heck ebay.com

I use a cylindrical telephoto lens case to store my MP2. Have to take the props off to get it in there. Also bought a set of rubber motor covers. When I inspect the props I give the attaching hooks a slight squeeze to find cracks.

Attachments

• IMG_0500.JPG
    IMG_0500.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
Reactions: Ken K
I just got my M2P yesterday and love how easy the props are to put on and take off. But having had a Mini for a short time, and in that short time have found warped propellers when I thought I was securing the propellers properly before casing, and also getting "hover drift", which I have to believe due to wobbly props, presumably fixed by replacing the screws, I'm a little gun-shy about handing the M2P with props on. Obviously the Mini props are nearly paper thin and have no mass to them at all, so logically would be subject to becoming distored, making flying difficult.

I guess the bottom line questions are; how much special care do the propellers on the M2 need, and do you take them off before putting them in the case? The bonus question is- Which case do you use? I have the Fly More case, an Apache 2800 that would just barely fit the essentials. I'm also considering ordering this case from Amazon for $38 which has the cutouts aleready built in, but not as sturdy as an Apache or Pelican. Thoughts on cases? TIA
I leave mine on my M2Z then check before next flight. I have a Smatree waterproof hard case I got off Amazon. Plenty of room, but holds the drone nicely in its compartment. Sections for 4 batteries, charger, RC, and more.

I use GPC Cases for all of my drones (GPC - UAV Cases, Drone Cases, GoPro Cases). And I never take them off. However, when I was using the Flymore case before my GPC showed up, I definitely took them off. The DJI case put undue pressure on the props. It's not an issue for the GPCs.

I always leave mine on and have 2 holders to keep each pair in place so they don't get damaged in the rucksack case I have.

I have a case that will accommodate the M2P with the pros on. I usually do not remove the props. I put a loose rubber band around the drone, securing all 4 props. Have been doing this since I got the drone Nov. 2019. I inspect props each flight.

I have not removed the props from any of my 5 different DJI drones, but do check each flight.
I do try and insure that there is no significant pressure on the blades, particularly for the mini.

I guess the bottom line questions are; how much special care do the propellers on the M2 need, and do you take them off before putting them in the case? The bonus question is- Which case do you use? I have the Fly More case, an Apache 2800 that would just barely fit the essentials. I'm also considering ordering this case from Amazon for $38 which has the cutouts aleready built in, but not as sturdy as an Apache or Pelican.
Thoughts on cases? TIA
I remove my prop, but I also have a custom made case

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure