DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you think this is a sensible flight, even if legal ( UK ), and do you think it is wise to publish it ? NOT mine, I won't fly in a town full stop ..

Yorkshire_Pud

Reactions
the thoughts of "what could happen" scare the 1234 out of me"
This 'guy' has posted several videos that have me wondering if he is tempting fate and the CAA.

only the CAA and the authorities have the answer to your question ,its the old, just because you can ,doesnt mean you should, conunderum ,but time will tell ,if he gets any repacussions, from conducting such flights in the future

only the CAA and the authorities have the answer to your question ,its the old, just because you can ,doesnt mean you should, conunderum ,but time will tell ,if he gets any repacussions, from conducting such flights in the future
Would you fly the flight OMM ?

personally i wouldnt ,just because of the location, and the chances of the drone maybe loosing GPS ,because of the many tall buildings around ,and also not only having the drone possibly damaged ,but someone hurt or something damaged if the drone malfuctioned

This 'guy' has posted several videos that have me wondering if he is tempting fate and the CAA.
Broad St. B'ham.... Pubs, clubs and nightspots.... WiFi noise.... crowds of people leaving buildings regularly and unexpectedly..... tall buildings to both sides.... A flight well out of VLOS range.... What trouble might a drone face? Not half as much as the bloke making the flight would if (mini or not) it dropped on someone's head.

Personally, if I'm flying in a city/town here in Ireland, I tend to stay over rivers as much as possible. I also definitely don't fly over traffic or
Broad St. B'ham.... Pubs, clubs and nightspots.... WiFi noise.... crowds of people leaving buildings regularly and unexpectedly..... tall buildings to both sides.... A flight well out of VLOS range.... What trouble might a drone face? Not half as much as the bloke making the flight would if (mini or not) it dropped on someone's head.
Seems like a pretty dumb thing for that individual to do. Some people don't care about the potential implications for the hobby.

nothing wrong with it. just like there is nothing wrong with these:

It's not straightforward to determine the drone's position and what objects and people are directly below it by looking only at the camera output. Those flights may or may not have stayed above the river and away from bridges, people, vehicles, and watercraft.

Reactions: OdysseyShane
It's not straightforward to determine the drone's position and what objects and people are directly below it by looking only at the camera output. Those flights may or may not have stayed above the river and away from bridges, people, vehicles, and watercraft.
I don't know the area, or the individual behind the video, you could well be right.

Personally I would NOT do that and I also think he needs to work on his actions or at least his editing skills. Some of his movements are jerky and take away from the subject matter completely.

Personally I would not do that flight and I don't think it was well done at all. First the music stinks, second jerky motions bad drone control and third way to long

Reactions: Joeblow and BigAl07
The UK has different requirements for a sub 250gram drone flight, so out of curiosity, is he really doing anything he shouldn't? As you are based in the UK and hopefully knowing what the rules would be accordingly, is he technically breaking rules. No second guessing.

Is he breaking any rules for a sub 250gram drone? I didn't see anyone object or voice anything on the DJI Forum site comments.

This would be the very last flight I would ever think of doing. Firstly, I would be too nervous. In the dark, without real line of sight, and return to home brings the possibility of a collision with a building and impossible retrieval. Then, the high risks of damage or harm to people , cars, etc. And to tell the truth, not a very interesting flight either.

Dale
Miami

Reactions: twickers14
I don't know if he is really breaking any rules I would have no problems doing the same with a tiny whoop. A mini is light weight I suppose. That is until it falls out of the sky onto a windshield.
Drone rule 1. - What go's up must come down.
I fly Mini-whoops around people and places all the time. But I won't usually fly anything over around 100 grams over persons or vehicles. I can't afford your windshield.

I’m not condoning the use of <250g drone as the freedom they provide is excellent but I suppose this just highlights the very problem that unless specifically required to do so for commercial operations, anyone can go purchase a drone and be clueless to what is and isn’t allowed. And much of the rules for <250g drones is left very much to the knowledge (or lack if) and discretion of the pilot

The drone was less than 250g so allowed to fly over people and close to building and technically speaking, there are no different regulations to night flights here in the UK as long as the drone is equipped with green flashing flights (which DJI drones do) and the pilot keeps the aircraft in VLOS. While we could say this flight went well beyond VLOS, not being there it would be hard to make this call plus, he may have used a strobe on his drone increasing the distance the aircraft can be seen at night.

The flight went without a hitch so no offence was committed.

The question is however, should we be flying a drone over a city centre, over busy roads, in close proximity to buildings, over people who have no idea a drone is buzzing above their head and to top it off in the dark without the help form automatic obstacle avoidance?

Have something gone wrong on the flight then things change and the pilot could potentially faced prosecution.

“The operator is ultimately responsible for flight safety and must comply with the Air Navigation Order (ANO) articles relating to endangerment:”
  • Article 241 - Endangering safety of any person or property​

A person must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property.

Last edited:
I don't know if he is really breaking any rules I would have no problems doing the same with a tiny whoop. A mini is light weight I suppose. That is until it falls out of the sky onto a windshield.
Drone rule 1. - What go's up must come down.
I fly Mini-whoops around people and places all the time. But I won't usually fly anything over around 100 grams over persons or vehicles. I can't afford your windshield.
Sory but I m 85- what is a Mini whoop?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne