DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you think this is a sensible flight, even if legal ( UK ), and do you think it is wise to publish it ? NOT mine, I won't fly in a town full stop ..

Sub 250 grams can fly in the A1/A3 subcategories no problem. So as close to people/buildings/vehicles as you want, so long as you are also not infringing Article 241 , which states - "A person must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property." This is obviously, as already pointed out, subject to interpretation.

The only other consideration is being able to maintain VLOS. Ironically, this is often further at night than during the day due to the lights on the drone. Even further (1,000 metres and beyond) if it's fitted with a strobe light, but this would then put the drone into the A3 subcategory due to the weight unless they hold the A2 certificate.

I always keep the following saying in my head when out flying... "Just because I can, doesn't mean I should."
Article 241 is ambiguous as it does not clarify what constitutes 'reckless endangerment'. The rest of the EASA based A1 class regulations give slightly more clarification, but the pilots definition of 'safe' and the CAA's definition of the same word can be wildly different based on their individual interpretation of the same regulation package. For me: this is where the real problem lies: the Law is The Law and not open to interpretation. The regulations governing drone flight should be written into Aviation Law (a new amendment to ANO2016) and drones should be registered with the CAA as legitimate aerial vehicles and issued an appropriate ARN, that way the pilot gets the same legal status and protections afforded to manned aircraft pilots and also knows precisely what happens when they are dumb enough to get caught flying in a clearly illegal manner.

Reactions: old man mavic
MiniWhoop:
View attachment 172866

This one is a HappyModel Mobula 7. It is 67 grams w/battery
MiniWhoop:
View attachment 172866

This one is a HappyModel Mobula 7. It is 67 grams w/battery
So, I ask you as someone who flies both a Mini 2 and a Mavic 3 and has created night videos over city centers(avoiding flying over people and cars, of course), would you/could you yield the same result as the video above with this MiniWhoop? I ask because I'm actually toying with the idea of getting into FPVs not for racing maneuvers and whatnot, but specifically to add stealth, safety and maneuverability in my videography. I'd imagine battery life and wind resistance would be a problem.

Sidenote- I'm also VERY much interested in creating interior fly through videos similar to what you see in hotel advertising ads, real estate sales, or bar and grill/restaurant websites. Obviously a camera drone wont cut it, but I like the thought of strapping a gopro or whatever to something similar to your MiniWhoop. Not to highjack the thread, but any thoughts on this? Thanks!!

But I wouldn't want to fly over blah blah blah so I would rather crash it somewhere safe than fly over such an area.
And yes it has happened, a gust came up and took a drone towards a village and I was about to CSC it into the sea when the gust died and I 'regained control'.
I find that rather extreme considering you would be fine, but to each his own.

Article 241 is ambiguous as it does not clarify what constitutes 'reckless endangerment'. The rest of the EASA based A1 class regulations give slightly more clarification, but the pilots definition of 'safe' and the CAA's definition of the same word can be wildly different based on their individual interpretation of the same regulation package. For me: this is where the real problem lies: the Law is The Law and not open to interpretation. The regulations governing drone flight should be written into Aviation Law (a new amendment to ANO2016) and drones should be registered with the CAA as legitimate aerial vehicles and issued an appropriate ARN, that way the pilot gets the same legal status and protections afforded to manned aircraft pilots and also knows precisely what happens when they are dumb enough to get caught flying in a clearly illegal manner.
The less regulations the better. It doesn't necessarily make flying any safer.

The less regulations the better. It doesn't necessarily make flying any safer.
We'll all have to bite the full regulation bullet sooner rather than later if those of us who use this tech constructively want to keep flying..... I don't think the Billy The Kid approach will wash much longer and going black-hat is the best way to ensure the whole 'hobby' ends up having to operate according to the same structure that hamstrung RC plane fliers - round and round a field in circles.
The Aviation Authorities have a lot of experience under their belts, they stamped out cowboy fliers between the 1920's and 1940's and the 'self regulation' leeway we have been given is a double edged sword, whatever happens all they need to do is cite the antics of a few "I'll do what I like" yahoos to prove their point that people with drones cant be trusted to act like adults and every one of us will end up dumped in the same idiot bin.

Last edited:
We'll all have to bite the full regulation bullet sooner rather than later if those of us who use this tech constructively want to keep flying..... I don't think the Billy The Kid approach will wash much longer and going black-hat is the best way to ensure the whole 'hobby' ends up having to operate according to the same structure that hamstrung RC plane fliers - round and round a field in circles.
The Aviation Authorities have a lot of experience under their belts, they stamped out cowboy fliers between the 1920's and 1940's and the 'self regulation' leeway we have been given is a double edged sword, whatever happens all they need to do is cite the antics of a few "I'll do what I like" yahoos to prove their point that people with drones cant be trusted to act like adults and every one of us will end up dumped in the same idiot bin.
For sub 250 gram drones? That wouldn't make sense. Over the top. Way over the top. Best to educate, not regulate to death.

For sub 250 gram drones? That wouldn't make sense. Over the top. Way over the top. Best to educate, not regulate to death.
For me, the issue with sub 250g drones is not safety but privacy. As far as I'm aware, there are no provisions in existing legislation to protect privacy. IMO there must be some rule that specifies a maximum "pixels per square metre" for cameras mounted on drones to prevent detailed filming of back gardens where there is an expectation of privacy.

For me, the issue with sub 250g drones is not safety but privacy. As far as I'm aware, there are no provisions in existing legislation to protect privacy. IMO there must be some rule that specifies a maximum "pixels per square metre" for cameras mounted on drones to prevent detailed filming of back gardens where there is an expectation of privacy.
You have got to be kidding!

I don’t know of a single case where a drone was used to spy on a neighbour back garden or perv through someones window.

You have got to be kidding!

I don’t know of a single case where a drone was used to spy on a neighbour back garden or perv through someones window.
I know of numerous people who are p***ed off with drones overflying their house and hovering, loitering and watching.

People don't like this. It is not about weirdoes but loss of privacy. People *will* contact their MP to complain and eventually the law will adapt.

Reactions: Torque
I know of numerous people who are p***ed off with drones overflying their house and hovering, loitering and watching.

People don't like this. It is not about weirdoes but loss of privacy. People *will* contact their MP to complain and eventually the law will adapt.
Since when you do expect privacy in your outdoor garden open to the skies above? If you don't want anyone to see what kind of vegetables you are growing, put a roof over it. Just like you built a high wall so that people driving by can't see into the garden. You don't just tell people not to look. Airplanes, helicopters, balloons, and yes drones can and will look in so if you don't want that, you have to create your own privacy. The expectation comes where there is an element of intimacy such as a changing room or a bedroom. However if you plan to do those things in the outdoor garden, you better believe someone is going to see you and you just can't pass a law telling people to look away or close their eyes....come on, we're better than that. :(

There are already peeping tom laws that cover this whether it's a perv with binoculars or a drone flying over. We don't need a new drone law covering "pixels per square meter." 🤣. How would you even enforce that? We need less drones laws, not more.

Reactions: Cafguy

Most likely an estate agents rater than a perv or a malicious flight.

People reveal more private information on facebook than a mini drone would flying 50m above your house.

Thanks for the screenshot.

I opened a private tab and the big red area I saw covering Birmingham magically disappeared.

I cleared my cookies and now I see the same as you.

Someone doesn't want me flying in the Birmingham area. Either that or it's a very craply written website.

Thanks for the screenshot.

I opened a private tab and the big red area I saw covering Birmingham magically disappeared.

I cleared my cookies and now I see the same as you.

Someone doesn't want me flying in the Birmingham area. Either that or it's a very craply written website.

It goes to show that you need to be very careful before claiming people are breaking the law.

Reactions: Dronecation
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N