DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you think this is a sensible flight, even if legal ( UK ), and do you think it is wise to publish it ? NOT mine, I won't fly in a town full stop ..

Sory but I m 85- what is a Mini whoop?
Cripes Dale, and I thought I was going get some Woops as I turn 80 in April. You are an example to us oldies scooting round the world at will! Long may you continue not least ‘cos we rather like your work.

Reactions: Cafguy
the thoughts of "what could happen" scare the 1234 out of me"
This 'guy' has posted several videos that have me wondering if he is tempting fate and the CAA.
Flying along with traffic totally against FAA rules.

This "Birmingham Road" video is simply boring. There's nothing educational or entertaining about it. There are so many travel videos that "tell stories" and capture the viewer's interest. Sorry, not to be harsh, but everyone should visit www.airvuz.com to see some award-wining travel videos....

Reactions: Bohemian
I should have thought of that. Does that mean you can fly along with traffic? If that's true, how silly.
The honest answer is I don't know but I wouldn't do it.
I have flown across a road before but that was at height and full speed to minimise the time over the road and even if something went wrong I would hope the drone would be clear of the road when it was low.
Along a road whilst above it ?..... "no way Jose".

I’m not condoning the use of <250g drone as the freedom they provide is excellent but I suppose this just highlights the very problem that unless specifically required to do so for commercial operations, anyone can go purchase a drone and be clueless to what is and isn’t allowed. And much of the rules for <250g drones is left very much to the knowledge (or lack if) and discretion of the pilot

The drone was less than 250g so allowed to fly over people and close to building and technically speaking, there are no different regulations to night flights here in the UK as long as the drone is equipped with green flashing flights (which DJI drones do) and the pilot keeps the aircraft in VLOS. While we could say this flight went well beyond VLOS, not being there it would be hard to make this call plus, he may have used a strobe on his drone increasing the distance the aircraft can be seen at night.

The flight went without a hitch so no offence was committed.

The question is however, should we be flying a drone over a city centre, over busy roads, in close proximity to buildings, over people who have no idea a drone is buzzing above their head and to top it off in the dark without the help form automatic obstacle avoidance?

Have something gone wrong on the flight then things change and the pilot could potentially faced prosecution.

“The operator is ultimately responsible for flight safety and must comply with the Air Navigation Order (ANO) articles relating to endangerment:”
  • Article 241 - Endangering safety of any person or property​

A person must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property.
Article 241 is open to interpretation and if in doubt, use common sense, and seek further information to clarify what is allowed. There are far too many drone pilots with differing opinions...

Why don't you know? Don't you live and fly drones in the UK?
Because I have no interest in flying over towns or village or along roads .... full stop, so I haven't studied the rules governing over flights of them them.
Besides, to me, common sense says "don't fly along a road or town or city" and I listen to it in that respect.

Sea, coast, moorland and mountains would be my cup of tea.

Reactions: okw
Article 241 is open to interpretation and if in doubt, use common sense, and seek further information to clarify what is allowed. There are far too many drone pilots with differing opinions...
There are no further rules to clarify for a C0 drone (>250g). Open A1 category - You can fly over uninvolved people as long as you keep VLOS day or night.

Article 241 is pretty clear and no interpretation needed. Its the code all UK UAV pilots should have in the back of their minds, regardless of the class they fly in and is all about the mitigation of risk. If my actions could potentially lead to injury to people or damage of property, its probably a flight I shouldn’t be making. As simple as that.

However, how many Argos customers (UK Toy/houshold store) get told this when they are handed their nice new drone?

People in a forum who love drones seem confused about what they can and can’t do so how can we expect Mr YouTuber be any different?

Reactions: old man mavic
Because I have no interest in flying over towns or village or along roads .... full stop, so I haven't studied the rules governing over flights of them them.
Besides, to me, common sense says "don't fly along a road or town or city" and I listen to it in that respect.

Sea, coast, moorland and mountains would be my cup of tea.
You may have no interest in doing that kind of flying, but you should still know the rules n'est pas?

You may have no interest in doing that kind of flying, but you should still know the rules n'est pas?
Why ?
I'm never going to be in a situation where they would relate to my flying. I'd ditch the drone in the sea or crash it before I'd fly over a village etc..

Reactions: Robert Prior
@Yorkshire_Pud @Dronecation ,come on guys dont let this thread ,become an argueing point ,it spoils it for others
what each of us does ,or does not do with our drones ,is perfectly acceptable, as long as we fly within the spirit of the rules and regs ,we are very lucky right now here in the UK that the Sub 250g drones, are so lightly regulated ,in terms of airspace use ,i fear it will not always be so
and it is inevatable, that idividuals will push the boundries of the rules ,and have a total disregard for why they are there,
you cant legistate for stupidity

Last edited:
Sub 250 grams can fly in the A1/A3 subcategories no problem. So as close to people/buildings/vehicles as you want, so long as you are also not infringing Article 241 , which states - "A person must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property." This is obviously, as already pointed out, subject to interpretation.

The only other consideration is being able to maintain VLOS. Ironically, this is often further at night than during the day due to the lights on the drone. Even further (1,000 metres and beyond) if it's fitted with a strobe light, but this would then put the drone into the A3 subcategory due to the weight unless they hold the A2 certificate.

I always keep the following saying in my head when out flying... "Just because I can, doesn't mean I should."

Reactions: old man mavic
@Yorkshire_Pud @Dronecation ,come on guys dont let this thread ,become an argueing point ,it spoils it for others
what each of us does ,or does not do with our drones ,is perfectly acceptable, as long as we fly within the spirit of the rules and regs ,we are very lucky right now here in the UK that the Sub 250g drones, are so lightly regulated ,in terms of airspace use ,i fear it will not always be so
and it is inevatable, that ideviduals will push the boundries of the rules ,and have a total disregard for why they are there,
you cant legistate for stupidity
We are having a cordial discussion, not an argument. Everything discussed here is about clarification and understanding.

Sub 250 grams can fly in the A1/A3 subcategories no problem. So as close to people/buildings/vehicles as you want, so long as you are also not infringing Article 241 , which states - "A person must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property." This is obviously, as already pointed out, subject to interpretation.
Looks as though interpretation is pretty varied with regards to article 241. We have a similar rule here in Canada which many call the "Don't be Stupid Rule"...
That regulation is CARS 900.06 which states:
"Reckless or Negligent Operation

No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person."

But you wouldn't have to crash your drone into the sea if you knew the rules.
But I wouldn't want to fly over blah blah blah so I would rather crash it somewhere safe than fly over such an area.
And yes it has happened, a gust came up and took a drone towards a village and I was about to CSC it into the sea when the gust died and I 'regained control'.

Reactions: Robert Prior

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13