DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you try to fly in excess wind speeds?

Mr.Dair

Reactions
I've been itching to fly with the sunset at 6:11pm my place and I get off work at 6pm I have only several minutes to set up and fly but lately windspeeds has been constant around 40mph with gusts up to 60mph. Have any of you tried to fly in those types of winds and if so was it problematic?

I've been itching to fly with the sunset at 6:11pm my place and I get off work at 6pm I have only several minutes to set up and fly but lately windspeeds has been constant around 40mph with gusts up to 60mph. Have any of you tried to fly in those types of winds and if so was it problematic?
That is a little high to be flying in my opinion, out here Wyoming way we get a lot of wind and the most I have flown in was around thirty five mph. At that speed the Mavic was bucking pretty good and tough to hold a steady hover; she was also howeling so loud I felt sure I was going to have an engine failure. Your millage may vary but be careful.

That's too high. 30mph would be my upper limit. I went flying yesterday in mid 20s wind and the drone flew ok, but the gimbal couldn't handle the extreme angles, and I sure wouldn't have wanted to bring it home upwind with a low battery.

Well i went and tried it in 40mph wind with 60mph gusts today, thing had a little problem staying still in one area but flies perfectly fine! Was even able to get a long exposure night shot

Reactions: Bunny Too
I've happened to fly in similar conditions once, and i'll never do it again. Cause in my case the wind up above has been stronger than the Mavic could deal with. I've been launching from an observation point at an edge of a cliff, so i was able to descend and hide behind the cliff and then come back, but hey, don't be me, don't be stupid!

30 mph is my max limit.... although as you have discovered the Mavic will fly well in high winds.

I'm always overcautious and only fly when I cant feel any wind at all....... lol

I've been up in gusts up to 30mph and it was 'okay' but I wouldn't want to go much higher. It felt like this was the limit. There's also the increased risk of running out of juice on the return to home if you fly out downwind.

The Air handles wind quite well but you must remember that if the wind speed is consistently higher than the maximum speed of your drone, your drone will be blown away. This is because if the drone is "stationary" in the air (ie: GPS hold) then the drone's speed is equal to the current wind speed. If the current wind speed is 40mph and the drone's maximum speed is 40mph then the drone will be flying at top speed to hold it's current position. If the current wind speed is 41mph, your drone is drifting away at 1mph and there's nothing you can do about it (because it's already flying at maximum speed).

This is also the reason you should fly into the wind when doing longer distance flights. By flying into the wind you're effectively limiting your maximum speed (at ground level) to the maximum speed of the drone minus the speed of the wind you're flying into. This limits the distance you can travel and means when your controller starts reporting that it's time to return to home, you've got an easier flight back with a tail wind (Mavic Air appears to have a software limited maximum speed so it won't come back to you super fast) rather than returning flying into the wind (which will almost certainly result in you running out of power).

Reactions: JMF
30 Kph is about the limit for me and the gust are always stronger and those are what concern me. Always kind of panic when I get these 'strong wind' warnings, just don't want to lose my MP, love it to much. :)

I flew last weekend in Boulevard, California near the Mexican border and extreme wind gusts. Probably over 40MPH winds. The Mavic Pro flies really well and surprisingly the video was really stable too. The only issue is not flying too far because when you are trying to come back it barely moves. Even in sport mode I couldn't get it going any faster than 7 MPH coming back and ran out of juice and it went down about 2 miles short of where I was. Fortunately the GPS was spot on. I went to the last location and it had safely landed.

I flew MA on frozen lake at -6 (21f) with wind anywhere 18-22mph and it held just fine including tracking and maneuvering.

I flew last weekend in Boulevard, California near the Mexican border and extreme wind gusts. Probably over 40MPH winds. The Mavic Pro flies really well and surprisingly the video was really stable too. The only issue is not flying too far because when you are trying to come back it barely moves. Even in sport mode I couldn't get it going any faster than 7 MPH coming back and ran out of juice and it went down about 2 miles short of where I was. Fortunately the GPS was spot on. I went to the last location and it had safely landed.

Your lucky, you hear and read of so many that lose theirs in that situation. Good to hear there are some happy endings.

Where do you see the last location of the drone before it disappeared? Is it a spot on the map? is it stored somewhere in DJI Go 4?

Where do you see the last location of the drone before it disappeared? Is it a spot on the map? is it stored somewhere in DJI Go 4?
It is, from the main screen (not the flight screen, but where the go fly button is) tap menu, then tap "find my drone".

I flown my bird in wind speed avg 30 mph with gusts around 43 mph and it was holding its position fine. Although I was keeping an eagles eye on the bird and was ready to hit the sport mode and call it back if it started drifting.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RYNOGOD