DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you use LiPo bags when flying?

Spudboy

Reactions
Going to be headed back East for thanksgiving and will be taking my M2P. I've never traveled before with my drone, so I wanted to ask if you guys recommend putting the batteries in LiPo bags?

Thanks

You can , but its a bit of overkill. There cheap though on Amazon so why not. I just returned from Alaska flying Alaska air and had my batteries in my carry on backpack. Passed the backpack through the scanner and they pulled it aside after it went through. TSA said nothing about them being in thier RAW state . I did have 3 D printed battery caps on the terminal area.

They were perfectly fine with them and I carried it onto the planes multiple times.

Reactions: noosaguy
You can , but its a bit of overkill. There cheap though on Amazon so why not. I just returned from Alaska flying Alaska air and had my batteries in my carry on backpack. Passed the backpack through the scanner and they pulled it aside after it went through. TSA said nothing about them being in thier RAW state . I did have 3 D printed battery caps on the terminal area.

They were perfectly fine with them and I carried it onto the planes multiple times.

Cool, thanks.

Reactions: noosaguy
I've never bothered but if you're concerned get them. I've never seen the point since I'm surrounded by Lipo batteries all day.

Going to be headed back East for thanksgiving and will be taking my M2P. I've never traveled before with my drone, so I wanted to ask if you guys recommend putting the batteries in LiPo bags?
You'll get recommendations in a forum but no-one at the airport will even know what they are.
No airline asks for them.

Thanks

I've flown with my drone a few times now. Usually put the drone case in my checked bag but take the batteries in my carry-on. Air Canada frowns on putting LiPo batteries in the cargo area in case of explosion/fire, but they're fine with me having them in my carry-on. No LiPo bags required.

I 've used Lipo bags on my Phantom 2 Batteries luckily no fires or explosions so cannot report if they work or not,just peace of mind.

You don’t put laptop batteries in bags while travelling so why would you put your Dji batteries in bags. I’ve flown loads of times with Dji batteries but only as “carry on”

You will be fine with them.;)

My wife is flying Southwest airlines today and they said lipo batteries should be in carry on and if not in use should be carried in a way that would prevent terminals from shorting. Plastic bags or a piece of tape would suffice. Ymmv.

They're not required anywhere (yet?) and I've yet to hear of a single incident where they've made any difference either at security or a thermal indcident. On the other hand, they're cheap, might indicate to security that you've at least given it a bit of thought, and provide extra padding in your bag to prevent any shorts, scuffs and scratches, so why not?

FWIW, I use them since DJI don't provide any safety caps like I have for my SLR batteries and it's generally less fiddly than tape to prevent shorts. Protip - surgical tape is a good thing to use for this protecting terminals from shorts; little to no residue and you can use it on any cuts and scrapes too!

As others have noted, whether you use LiPo bags or not, don't check LiPos into the hold; that is definitely illegal in most jurisdictions.

Reactions: aslondon
They're not required anywhere (yet?) and I've yet to hear of a single incident where they've made any difference either at security or a thermal indcident. On the other hand, they're cheap, might indicate to security that you've at least given it a bit of thought, and provide extra padding in your bag to prevent any shorts, scuffs and scratches, so why not?

FWIW, I use them since DJI don't provide any safety caps like I have for my SLR batteries and it's generally less fiddly than tape to prevent shorts. Protip - surgical tape is a good thing to use for this protecting terminals from shorts; little to no residue and you can use it on any cuts and scrapes too!

As others have noted, whether you use LiPo bags or not, don't check LiPos into the hold; that is definitely illegal in most jurisdictions.

From the US TSA website:
Batteries must be protected from damage.
Battery terminals (usually the ends) must be protected from short circuit (i.e., the terminals must not come in contact with other metal). Methods include: leaving the batteries in their retail packaging, covering battery terminals with tape, using a battery case, using a battery sleeve in a camera bag, or putting them snugly in a plastic bag or protective pouch.
See the regulation: 49 CFR 175.10(a)(18)

I discharge the batteries to 40% (to lower the available energy in case of a problem) and either use LiPo bags or cover the battery terminals with 3D-printed caps; this also keeps the terminals clean as well as protecting them from contact with small metal object that also might be in the carryon.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan

Absolutely, TSA says DO NOT PUT IN CARGO. You must have them in your carry-on and they must be lipo bagged. Remember these batterie will burn and explode. Be cautious, don't die on plane going home or have your batteries confiscated.

Absolutely, TSA says DO NOT PUT IN CARGO. You must have them in your carry-on and they must be lipo bagged. Remember these batterie will burn and explode. Be cautious, don't die on plane going home or have your batteries confiscated.

Bags are one only option, and probably the best given they cover all bases, but the only actual requirements are that any batteries be in your carry on and suitably protected from physical damage and any potential shorts. In that respect, some tape, dedicated caps, or original packaging are all perfectly acceptable alternatives to battery bags, assuming they are suitably packed. There are also typically restrictions on the capacity and number of batteries that can be carried, but there seems to be more variance on this aspect with different countries/airlines having different limits.

On the plus side, on the one occasion I've been asked if I would be prepared to have my carry on put in the hold due to a full flight, I just pointed out I had camera batteries in there and that was the end of that.

One thing to note. I 3 D printed a set of caps for my batteries from a commonly available design online and when I fitted them there were two small tabs that are meant to push down into the 2 small holes on the right and left of all the terminals. This is to keep the caps in place. One of the tabs broke off upon removal and lodged itself down in one of the open holes. This prevented me from placing in the Mavic or the charger. I had to ask a maintenance person at the hotel I stayed at to provide a set of "picks" . Luckily he had a set and was willing to loan it. I heated the end of the pick and then pushed it into the lodged tab so it melted to the outside of the pick and then was able to pull that piece of plastic out. If I had not had that pick I would have been screwed as I could not remove any other way.

I am searching for a design that does not present this issue in the future.

One thing to note. I 3 D printed a set of caps for my batteries from a commonly available design online and when I fitted them there were two small tabs that are meant to push down into the 2 small holes on the right and left of all the terminals. This is to keep the caps in place. One of the tabs broke off upon removal and lodged itself down in one of the open holes. This prevented me from placing in the Mavic or the charger. I had to ask a maintenance person at the hotel I stayed at to provide a set of "picks" . Luckily he had a set and was willing to loan it. I heated the end of the pick and then pushed it into the lodged tab so it melted to the outside of the pick and then was able to pull that piece of plastic out. If I had not had that pick I would have been screwed as I could not remove any other way.

I am searching for a design that does not present this issue in the future.

I saw rubber ones on Amazon, but haven't tried them.

The batteries have power switches that are highly unlikely to be able to be accidentally switched on. If they are not on, they can't be shorted out at the terminals.

Reactions: W2EJ
The batteries have power switches that are highly unlikely to be able to be accidentally switched on. If they are not on, they can't be shorted out at the terminals.
Good point! Never considered that. Screw the caps! They look cool though! :)

I flew to Italy (from Australia) a few weeks ago with my 4 Mavic Air batteries plus a Blackmagic 4k pocket cinema (6 batteries) and Nikon DSLR (7 batteries) , Feiyu gimble (6 batteries), laptop, tablet, phone, two power banks, video light (2 batteries), plus more (all batteries in carry on). A lot of batteries, but necessary. I expected interest at customs and got some at Abu Dhabi. I got through very quickly without fuss because I was able to say that I had discharged them all, show I had covered the connections and everything was in LiPo bags. It would probably have been a different outcome otherwise, it was the batteries that aroused interest. That aside, batteries are a potential danger and it is our own interest to take the best precautions available. It isn't hard and it isn't expensive. Crashing and burning because of a battery fire could ruin your entire day...

I got through very quickly without fuss because I was able to say that I had discharged them all, show I had covered the connections and everything was in LiPo bags. It would probably have been a different outcome otherwise
Or maybe not .. not one airline or air travel safety authority suggests you discharge batteries or use LiPo bags.
It's unlikely that any airport security check people know what they are or care.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123