DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you use LiPo bags when flying?

Quick question, when boarding a plane I bet everyone’s iPad/laptop batteries are fully charged so they can be used while travelling, mine are sooooo what’s the difference with the drone batteries?

Only asking a question, don’t shoot me down;)

That's actually a good question... is there a difference between those batteries... DJI are "Smart" batteries, so there has to be some circuitry in them.

The difference is lipos as part of/incorporated in a device vs actual open Lipos with leads or contacts and nothing else. DJI batteries technically can be considered a self contained device as it has electronics and a switch to turn it on/off, with no outside direct access to the actual batteries.
The thing is, they can appear to be 'raw' batteries to one not familiar with them.

Spare laptop batteries could be more of a problem unless they too have electronics that only output a small standby current for the laptop to use to turn it fully on.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I've travelled extensively within the US with my drones. I've NEVER been questioned, NEVER been asked to take my drone out of my backpack, nothing ever. I simply make sure the batteries only have about a 25% charge, I carry the battery spec sheet with me to show (if necessary) they meet the allowable amperage per the airline, and put a small piece of electrical tape on the contact points. All just in case I'm asked.
Maybe not in the U.S., but in Canada, I was asked to take out my drone when passing through security, and install a battery from my carry-on, and turn the unit on. They then took the turned on unit to the security x-ray operator and showed them the flashing Mavic to demonstrate what they looked like when in operational mode. Think this was a learning experience for the security folks. Repacked and was on my way. A few extra minutes but they liked the fact that I used caps on the batteries and taped those on, plus used lipo bags to store.

Reactions: MavicMo
do not put them into the hold of the aircraft you are flying in. theft problem here.
ship them ups to yourself care of your hotel or home. far safer and with tracking, insurance.
do this with most of your things when traveling. (who wants that box of dirty laundry anyhow), and can even be cheaper than "baggage" fees for your airline.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman