DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you use LiPo bags when flying?

Some DJI batteries have swollen and that plastic encapsulation has broken and cracked. This is rare and though to be related to keeping the LiPo batteries charged to thier full potential for long periods of time and not allowing them to discharge with the DJIGO4 app.
Can it happen - YES. Will it happen - Unlikely.

I bet cause of swollen DJI batteries are more likely due to storing in hot locations, such as trunk of car during summer in Florida.
Another possible cause is repeated topping off which may overcharge.
Thirdly, letting the battery go below 3v for extended periods of time.

Or maybe not .. not one airline or air travel safety authority suggests you discharge batteries or use LiPo bags.
It's unlikely that any airport security check people know what they are or care.

With respect...I beg to differ. Maybe in the U.S., flying domestically, but not internationally. I have taken my drones through a number of countries and especially in east Asia, airport security are VERY concerned about carrying batteries in luggage and often will know straight away if you have any batteries in your checked luggage and will insist that you have them in carry on. Drone batteries are of particular interest. I have had a few countries carefully checking the amperage as to whether they are okay. One place, I am quite sure, one staff guy was a drone pilot or knew about the batteries and let me through taking my side when another staff was ready to take them. I have found that the Lipo bags are well worth the small investment. Several times staff have investigated what showed up in the scan and seemed fine when they saw the lipo bags. Also having been on a long flight that did indeed have a short circuit and small fire (due to what was found to be aircraft wiring), after smelling something burning, I was relieved to find it was NOT my batteries. The flight attendant was VERY interested in my P4 case when I went to investigate. Since then I have been sold on lipo cases. Why risk it? even if security does not require it. Also things will only get more strict. Having drone batteries in lipo bags gives you one more reason to claim that your batteries are okay for flight.

Reactions: Ancient Alien
With respect...I beg to differ. especially in east Asia, airport security are VERY concerned about carrying batteries in luggage and often will know straight away if you have any batteries in your checked luggage and will insist that you have them in carry on.
That's universal as pointed out in post #29 and the IATA recommendations on lithium batteries
https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/passenger-lithium-battery.pdf
Drone batteries are of particular interest.
Any lithium battery is of interest. Drone batteries aren't any different from all the other lithium batteries that will be carried by passengers on your plane.
I have had a few countries carefully checking the amperage as to whether they are okay.
If you mean the watt-hour rating or capacity of the battery, that's also universal but usually only checked if the battery looks larger than the ones commonly seen on planes.
I have found that the Lipo bags are well worth the small investment. Several times staff have investigated what showed up in the scan and seemed fine when they saw the lipo bags.
It's much, much more likely that the Lipo bag had nothing to do with this and the security person was just happy to see that the items were Lipo batteries, just like the last thousand he'd let through.
If Lipo bags were really important, air travel safety authorities would advise everyone to use themfor all the Lipo batteries that go on planes.
For everyone's laptop, camera, mobile phone, iPad etc, etc. ..... but they don't.
And that's why your security check people have been letting you through ... just like everyone else.

Beg to differ... it was in Chile, Rapa Nui, also similar thing in Raratonga (Cook Islands). Large P-4 lithium batteries were of great interest. In R. Nui the guy told me that the Lipo bags were a good thing to have... So... Policy of not, laws or not, rules or not, my advice to share is having the bags has helped me get through several inspections.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I've travelled extensively within the US with my drones. I've NEVER been questioned, NEVER been asked to take my drone out of my backpack, nothing ever. I simply make sure the batteries only have about a 25% charge, I carry the battery spec sheet with me to show (if necessary) they meet the allowable amperage per the airline, and put a small piece of electrical tape on the contact points. All just in case I'm asked.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
I simply make sure the batteries only have about a 25% charge
How many times has anyone asked you about the charge level?
I carry the battery spec sheet with me to show (if necessary) they meet the allowable amperage
Presumably you mean the capacity of the battery in watt-hours.
You know that information is printed on the battery itself?

In October, I flew from LA to London, then Paris to LA, with my Mavic in my carry on. I had 2 batteries. One in the drone, the spare in a LiPo bag. (I had it, so I used it). I never even got pulled aside for a closer examination (which surprised me). Other's may have mentioned this (I didn't read through the whole thread): but it's a good idea to have the airline's, and TSA's policies on batteries printed out and on hand, in case you get an ignorant agent.

Quick question, when boarding a plane I bet everyone’s iPad/laptop batteries are fully charged so they can be used while travelling, mine are sooooo what’s the difference with the drone batteries?

Only asking a question, don’t shoot me down;)

Quick question, when boarding a plane I bet everyone’s iPad/laptop batteries are fully charged so they can be used while travelling, mine are sooooo what’s the difference with the drone batteries?
Only asking a question, don’t shoot me down;)
There's no difference at all.
Same as mobile phones and cameras etc.
There could be a few hundred lipo batteries on your plane but the TSA/FAA etc don't ask anyone to discharge their batteries or use Lipo bags - it's just a forum myth.

There's no difference at all.
Same as mobile phones and cameras etc.
There could be a few hundred lipo batteries on your plane but the TSA/FAA etc don't ask anyone to discharge their batteries or use Lipo bags - it's just a forum myth.

So why do the members on this forum discharge, cover the terminals & put them in LiPo bags, like I said I bet their iPads/laptop batteries are fully charged when boarding a plane.

I personally think people are a little nervous while travelling with their Dji batteries, why.. I don’t know. I’ve never had any problems with mine plus my batteries are always fully charged while travelling.

Bet this is gonna open up a “can of worms” now, sorry if it does but these are my faults on it;)

So why do the members on this forum discharge, cover the terminals & put them in LiPo bags
Two reasons

1. Because DJI suggest it in their Battery Safety Guidelines which tell you:
Travel Notice
Before carrying the Intelligent Flight Battery on an airline flight, it must first be fully discharged.

DJI got this idea from the IATA guidelines for shipping bulk quantities of lithium batteries as air freight. I gave a reference to this in post #29.
No airline or air travel safety authority asks passengers to discharge lithium batteries before flying.
Poor wording and incorrect information in DJI documentation also makes flyers think they need to recalibrate their compasses before flight - another myth with no basis in fact.

2. The thing that forums do best is to spread myths and keep them alive long after the facts are known.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: radman and Porky
The thing that forums do best is to spread myths and keep them alive long after the facts are known.
[/QUOTE]

I supposes if we didn’t have “myths” forums would be a boring place to spend time on. Keeps the topics rolling on I suppose.

Reactions: Slim.slamma
Poor wording and incorrect information in DJI documentation also makes flyers think they need to recalibrate their compasses before flight - another myth with no basis in fact.

2. The thing that forums do best is to spread myths and keep them alive long after the facts are known.
[/QUOTE]
That one is problematic though is causes accident

I calibrate once out the box and never again

A safety vest and lipo bag in the tool kit can’t hurt

Reactions: Porky
You are largely correct but your comments miss the point. It has been my experience, and presumably yours, that many people don't give a stuff about doing their job properly. Some do; and some can be pedantic or obstructive. My precautions got me quickly through a situation that could have been difficult. Relaying on the slackness of others to be slack ourselves is less than clever. There is also the safety factor. Discharged batteries are safer. Covering them and putting them in protective bags is a recommendation of CASA, the Australian regulator. It is 'best practice'. It may save your life and that of a plane full of people - and it takes so little.

If you do the bare minimum... you get the bare minimum.

Sorry but I can't see the logic in that.
I travel a lot and breeze right through.
The security staff don't know what a LiPo bag is, they've never heard of discharging a battery to fly.
They let anyone through with a laptop or iPad or mobile phone without a care.
Discharging batteries or packing in Lipo bags won't make any difference to them since they have no idea about your special precautions.
They are more interested in looking for serious safety issues like nail clippers or bottled water.

Iv'e never seen anyone remove a few toes with a lawnmower, but I know enough to never wear sandals while cutting the grass.

I realise it might not be able in the rules, all I am trying to do is avoid a situation where an over eager security staff member takes too keen an interest and delays me in security to the point I miss my plane.

I have never had a problem with any of my drones, but have had problems before with ordinary Laptops and phones/pda, I have had everything checked and swabbed before, took ages and there is no point in quoting the rules, that just makes them more determined.

So if you want to spend a long while at the security check go up with your 'rule based' attitude or if like me you want to breeze through, take every precaution and pack wisely.

Better safe than sorry.

Beg to differ... it was in Chile, Rapa Nui, also similar thing in Raratonga (Cook Islands). Large P-4 lithium batteries were of great interest. In R. Nui the guy told me that the Lipo bags were a good thing to have... So... Policy of not, laws or not, rules or not, my advice to share is having the bags has helped me get through several inspections.

But it takes soooo long to put them in the bags. I can't waste that 2 minutes.

Reactions: tiparoch
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom