DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does a iPad mini 2 have to have cellular with MP?

Sideeye

Reactions
looking to get a iPad mini2 for my MP and needed to know if it has to have cellular to work?

The IOS devices only have GPS if they are a Cellular device. If you wanted to use features such as follow me, or wish to reset the homepoint to 'you' at any time, you will need a Cell version.
If you dont want these features, it will still work. (As long as it remains compatible with the app.)

The ipad mini4 might be better if your budget will allow. If you really need the GPS chip, ie you need a cellular ipad, you do not need a data plan, it works fine with no SIM installed.
I have the cellular model, but never use the follow me or the dynamic homepoint.

I have the cellular model, but never use the follow me or the dynamic homepoint.

It matters not, but for clarification, in Go4, Dynamic Homepoint is the AC.. not needing device GPS position.

In Litchi, Dynamic Homepoint is the device, therefore needing a device GPS position.

The ipad mini4 might be better if your budget will allow. If you really need the GPS chip, ie you need a cellular ipad, you do not need a data plan, it works fine with no SIM installed.

+1
I originally bought the mini2 and it was very choppy for me, so I gave that to my wife and bought the 4 cell/128GB.
The 2 did have only 16G with other apps synchronized to my other iPads/phones/etc. After adding the Go4 app, I might’ve been low on space. Didn’t think of that then. The Go app does take a lot of space and I have both DJI GO ( for my Inspire) and Go4 installed.
If you buy something with Little space, delete All unwanted apps to gain space.

msinger has a great list of what tablets work well by iOS and Android brands

Last edited:
Reactions: Bunny Too
msinger has a great list of what tablets work well by iOS and Android brands
That list is available here.

For anyone who buys a Wi-Fi only Apple device and needs to add GPS to it later, that can be done by connecting a Bluetooth GPS receiver (like the Garmin GLO) to the Apple device.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anthony Horrigan
Thank you everyone for helping me in this matter and taking your time to do so. I will do whats right to make things happen for a safe flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottster03