DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone actually fly shielded?

Of course I have never flown with the global cover on since my maiden flight (because i expected to crash on the first go, plus after becoming a drone expect without owning a drone from watching YouTube lol)... but all the marketing photography features it on, but what does eveyone else do?

I did see some reflection from it which is why most take it off I guess...

I just feel lile I'm being an idiot when taking it off.. like someone walking through a safari park with bacon strapped to their backs saying it's fine it's what everyone else does lol

I guess it's in the marketing because it's a way of them protecting themselves against damage claims....

Shield on or off?

You absolutely want to, need to remove that cover. It is only for transport, not flight. Not only will the shield introduce glare, reflections and other things you don't want, but it is literally cutting off the Mavic's air supply. If you turn on your drone (not starting the motors) and just let it sit after a few minutes the fan will come on. When the shield is on and drone is flying, it restricts the air getting to the drone and the internal parts will get VERY hot and you can very easily damage your drone permanently.

Thanks for the interesting views and tests. I've bought a aftermarket globe, will drill out some holes in the sides so I don't smash the gimbal/camera while I get to grips with the AC and aid the intake flow. Seems like a reasonable middle ground between the on or off camps. Once my flying confidence is up and camera work can be focused on, no globe, for reduced reflection/glare and maximise cooling potential, be that perceptual or real cooling.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser