DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone understand LAANC?

MikeSD

Reactions
I know what it is.
I know what it's for.
I know how to apply and get authorization.

But I cannot find an answer to this question:

What does one do with the LAANC authorization number that is sent?

The text references further action but nowhere can I find out how to actually use this authorization number. Does it somehow get entered into the Mavic 2 Pro? Is it used by the DJI Go4 app? Is it redundant to the B4UFly application for "authorization zone" permission? If I use B4UFly, do I still need LAANC approval?

What the heck does one do with the LAANC authorization number when approved? Can someone explain what is done after receiving the LAANC approval, barney-style?

Thanks

I know what it is.
I know what it's for.
I know how to apply and get authorization.

But I cannot find an answer to this question:

What does one do with the LAANC authorization number that is sent?

The text references further action but nowhere can I find out how to actually use this authorization number. Does it somehow get entered into the Mavic 2 Pro? Is it used by the DJI Go4 app? Is it redundant to the B4UFly application for "authorization zone" permission? If I use B4UFly, do I still need LAANC approval?

What the heck does one do with the LAANC authorization number when approved? Can someone explain what is done after receiving the LAANC approval, barney-style?

Thanks
Once you have LAANC approval you are clear to fly in the operational area you have designated... during the time period specified. I keep all of my authorizations so if during the mission, or afterwards, you have a record of the FAA "Blessing" for the mission. I believe the sequential number is used for record keeping at FAA. If you use aloft, you will see your operational area appear on the map.

I hope this helps.

Fly safely and considerately.

Joe

For the most part LAANC clearance is just the official "okey-dokey" to flying in an area. Where you would use it primarily is when you get geofenced by DJI and you need to give them a solid reason to unlock you. The LAANC authorization does just that. [IMO LAANC or FAA auth should be enough and geofencing is, in most cases nothing more than an unnecessary hassle.] The may be a slim change where you could be challenged by a Barney Fife type who will try to tell you you're in a restricted area and you have proof if ever needed... but that would certainly be an odd circumstance.

So basically LAANC is all the FAA cares about, and the DJI unlocking is just to get the aircraft to fly. Seems like DJI needs to improve their app to get the LAANC approval and make it a one step process. If B4UFlY can do it, DJI GO4 should be able to. I mean that's almost a trivial task.

The way DJI does this it is actually in violation. It's possible to fly without LAANC, just using the fly safe site and unlock the drone without LAANC approval. DJI is giving approval not the FAA.

So basically LAANC is all the FAA cares about, and the DJI unlocking is just to get the aircraft to fly. Seems like DJI needs to improve their app to get the LAANC approval and make it a one step process. If B4UFlY can do it, DJI GO4 should be able to. I mean that's almost a trivial task.

The way DJI does this it is actually in violation. It's possible to fly without LAANC, just using the fly safe site and unlock the drone without LAANC approval. DJI is giving approval not the FAA.
You’re right. Dji could take care of the nonsense with direct LAANC communication. Chinese corporate culture puts them in a different mindset. They are accustomed to central control and command. Geofencing is about covering THEIR “assets” under the guise of safety but if safety and ease of use were really in their minds they would have fixed this. Why doesn’t Autel or Skydio geofence…or any other drone company I can think of?

LAANC (Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capabilities) is the easiest way for drone owners to get permission to fly in controlled airspace.

Each airport with controlled airspace (G Airspace airports don't have them because you don't need permission to fly there) has a set of grids that tell you how high you can fly without further coordination. When you see that you are in a LAANC active area, you need to "apply" for a LAANC authorization via an app. I say "apply" because it's an automatic approval if you're staying under the maximum AGL limits set by the airport.

The easiest way to do this is to use the B4UFly app on your phone. Use the app to check your location and see if you're in controlled airspace. If you are, them you need LAANC approval. B4UFly will take you to Aloft if you need that. Simply fill in the application and hit send. You'll get the approval via email and/or test. Keep that as a digital copy for proof.

If you are a 107 Pilot, you can fly at night as well. If you're a recreational flyer, you cannot yet.

Hopefully this answers your questions.

Reactions: BigAl07
If you are a 107 Pilot, you can fly at night as well. If you're a recreational flyer, you cannot yet.

Hopefully this answers your questions.
Not to spin off the topic but just curious, can recreational flyers still fly at night outside controlled airspace? Or is that a LAANC/controlled airspace thing?

Not to spin off the topic but just curious, can recreational flyers still fly at night outside controlled airspace? Or is that a LAANC/controlled airspace thing?
Yes. Recreational flyers can fly at night in G airspace. You basically just need lighting to see position and orientation.

The easiest way to do this is to use the B4UFly app on your phone. Use the app to check your location and see if you're in controlled airspace. If you are, them you need LAANC approval. B4UFly will take you to Aloft if you need that. Simply fill in the application and hit send. You'll get the approval via email and/or test. Keep that as a digital copy for proof.
Could you offer some clarification? I have Aloft and B4UFly apps on my phone (also Airmap, but not using that anymore as they are no longer authorized by FAA for LAANC authorization). Do you recommend trying B4UFly first and let it 'take you' to Aloft if needed? Under what circumstances will it ''take you' to Aloft, and what does that look like?

I'm confused which app should be our 'go to app' when out in the field and/or at home planning a flight.

Thanks!

Could you offer some clarification? I have Aloft and B4UFly apps on my phone (also Airmap, but not using that anymore as they are no longer authorized by FAA for LAANC authorization). Do you recommend trying B4UFly first and let it 'take you' to Aloft if needed? Under what circumstances will it ''take you' to Aloft, and what does that look like?

I'm confused which app should be our 'go to app' when out in the field and/or at home planning a flight.

Thanks!
If you know you're in controlled airspace and need LAANC, go directly to Aloft. If you're unsure, check B4UFly first. If you then need to obtain LAANC authorization, B4UFly has a button to ask for LAANC via Aloft.

You can bypass B4Ufly if you want, but it's a good idea to check it. It is also supposed to have the most recent TFR and NFZ info. So it's a good idea to check it.

If you know you're in controlled airspace and need LAANC, go directly to Aloft. If you're unsure, check B4UFly first. If you then need to obtain LAANC authorization, B4UFly has a button to ask for LAANC via Aloft.

You can bypass B4Ufly if you want, but it's a good idea to check it. It is also supposed to have the most recent TFR and NFZ info. So it's a good idea to check it.
Thanks, that's helpful. If I use B4UFly and it asks for LAANC authorization via Aloft, does it start the Aloft app up on my phone automatically, fill in the info and submit the request via the Aloft App? Or does it do all that in the background of the B4UFly app and not start-u[ the Aloft App?

Thanks, that's helpful. If I use B4UFly and it asks for LAANC authorization via Aloft, does it start the Aloft app up on my phone automatically, fill in the info and submit the request via the Aloft App? Or does it do all that in the background of the B4UFly app and not start-u[ the Aloft App?
Yes, as long as you have an Aloft account, you can apply for LAANC. It's not automatic, but it's very easy to do.

Check out their website: LAANC | Aloft

I talked to the FAA to get some clarification a couple weeks ago (USA, other countries have different regulations). I was told that LAANC is a legal and binding authorization to fly in controlled air space and has nothing to do with DJI’s geofencing. Without a LAANC authorization, if caught flying in controlled air space (all classes except class G) you will be subject to fines and possible jail time. He said that DJI’s geofencing is DJI’s way to help keep everyone safe. If you haven’t taken the TRUST test (for recreational flying) or the Part 107 (for commercial flying), then you need to at faadronezone.faa.gov. These are going to required soon if not already by the FAA and local authorities.

I talked to the FAA to get some clarification a couple weeks ago (USA, other countries have different regulations). I was told that LAANC is a legal and binding authorization to fly in controlled air space and has nothing to do with DJI’s geofencing. Without a LAANC authorization, if caught flying in controlled air space (all classes except class G) you will be subject to fines and possible jail time. He said that DJI’s geofencing is DJI’s way to help keep everyone safe. If you haven’t taken the TRUST test (for recreational flying) or the Part 107 (for commercial flying), then you need to at faadronezone.faa.gov. These are going to required soon if not already by the FAA and local authorities.
Just to clarify. Neither TRUST or 107 are available at the FAA's Drone Zone Page.

TRUST is administered by different providers. @pilotinstitute is a sponsor here, and has the best site: FAA TRUST Online Portal for Recreational Drone Operators - Pilot Institute

And your Remote Pilot Certificate is offered at many places, as well as at the FAA page itself. But I also recommend Pilot Institute for that as well. You'll learn more than just how to pass the test. You'll actually learn how to fly safely and why you need to.

Reactions: mdasbach
DJI needs to get away from geofencing. It's totally useless

I wouldn't go that far. It can help the ignorant rec fliers in some circumstances. The problem as mentioned is giving the newbies a false sense of security thinking it's OK to fly when it's not. I had a buddy complain about not being able to take off at his brothers house. I asked him where he was flying and when he told me where, I knew there was an active CDF airport nearby. When I told him it was because of the airport, he told me that he wanted to capture some video of the air tankers taking off and landing on the runway. So there are ignorant folks flying that are clueless, plus a lot of the entitlement crowd out there giving the rest of us a bad name. But I do feel for the 107 pilots who know the rules, get proper authorization but have to jumps through hoops to get a job done because of the geo-fencing. Fortunately LAANC helps get you authorization if you know how to use it.

I'm lucky that I don't have to worry about geo-fencing or LAANC at the places I fly.

Last edited:
I'm a proponent of GEO Fencing, albeit a better one.

Just think of how many times we hear from people in different forums who say they just bought a DJI and can't fly it at their home, or at their local park.

And that area is way inside controlled airspace. And then think about how many time people likely don't say anything and either do their own research, or just not fly.

I have zero doubt in my mind that GEO Fencing has saved numerous accurate drone reports by manned aviation. Try and imagine what would happen if these people who just bought a drone w/o GEO Fence actually flew where they weren't supposed to.

It does need a 107 carveout similar to the QEP though.

Reactions: MS Coast
I tried going through B4UFY to get LAANC approval (using Aloft) to fly in a Special Use Airspace for a date next month, but cannot seem to figure out how to get it to do anything for a future date. Since the area I want to fly in does not have cell service I thought it prudent to get prior approval. Any suggestions? Is there someplace else I should be doing this? The airspace in question is R-6413, Green River UT. (US Army White Sands Missile Range-controlled.)

Last edited:
I tried going through B4UFY to get LAANC approval (using Aloft) to fly in a Special Use Airspace for a date next month, but cannot seem to figure out how to get it to do anything for a future date. Since the area I want to fly in does not have cell service I thought it prudent to get prior approval. Any suggestions? Is there someplace else I should be doing this? The airspace in question is R-6413, Green River UT. (US Army White Sands Missile Range-controlled.)
LAANC isn’t for special use, it’s for Controlled Airspace.

Reactions: Bryan L
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys