DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone understand LAANC?

Reactions: Bryan L
DJI needs to get away from geofencing. It's totally useless

I wouldn't call it USELESS.... it's a burden and sometimes slightly inaccurate but it has some GOOD as well. Let me explain....

I got a call from a family member just last weekend. Before I go into too much detail, his entire conversation is filled with errors and FAA violations but for this conversation let's focus on DJI GeoFencing!!

Nephew calls and says, "My employer has loaned me their new DJI Mavic Drone to take to the job site next week to document the progress of our construction. I wanted to practice with it at home over the weekend and I keep getting some strange "Restricted Zone Warning" and it won't even start the motors so I can fly. What do I need to do to be able to fly it in my own back yard up to 400' high?"

So we talk for a moment and I soon realize a few things....

he's inside a ZERO grid literally beside an approach way to a large congested airport.
he has not searched any regulations etc but his employer did state "Keep it below 400' to stay legal".
he had no idea what LAANC is let alone how to get authorization.

So this "useless GeoFencing" from DJI prevented someone who has ZERO knowledge of UAS rules and FAA Regulations from even starting the motors. Through a simple 5 minute conversation I had him looking at LAANC, realizing why he shouldn't and can't legally fly willy-nilly there, and explained to him what he needs to do going forward.

2 weeks later he has taken his TRUST, Part 107, and is fully insured. He's able to look up his local airspace, determine legality and if authorization is needed, unlock the DJI GeoZone, and able to apply for authorization in areas requiring it.

That's ONE single example where I had First Hand Experience. How many others are out there there that are being stopped from flying in a very sensitive/restricted area but we aren't hearing about it.

See screen shot below if his actual location and proximity to the runway
tyson_mcgee.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+