DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone use a body cam for personal flight narration and Karen safety documentation?

marnat3

Reactions
I had a thought, ( I know , right) about using a body cam to document my thoughts during flight and also to document any possible confrontations that may arise. Anyone doing this?

Tried using one for a while, but it was cumbersome and ended up being more of a PITA than anything else. Solved the problem by sticking self adhesive velcro hook strips onto my phone case so that I could hit the camera record button and slap it onto a square of loop on the front of my chest pack in case of the need to "document an encounter".
After four years..... the number of times I've needed to do this? Zero.
If it makes you feel a little more confident: fine, but I think it's just another set of buttons to piss about with and another piece of electronic kit to distract you from giving the flight 100% attention.

The confrontation is an after thought, but I do find my self talking to myself while flying and was thinking real time narration might be both informative and entertaining.

Reactions: Torque
I do. I use my phone in my left upper pocket. I turn on video when anyone approaches. I document everything but then I'm a lawyer. Evidence is everything in a he said she said world. 'Nuff said.

I had a thought, ( I know , right) about using a body cam to document my thoughts during flight and also to document any possible confrontations that may arise. Anyone doing this?
slightly different scenario but similar needs, see this video I took with my hidden hat camera.

always,i turn it on before take off and turn it off when iget back to my car

Reactions: marnat3
I clip the surveillance camera to my helmet-mounted lightning rod, next to the ELT.

Seriously, I've never felt the need for gathering legal evidence or deterring an ornery bystander. In the unlikely event that it ever becomes necessary, I'll just hover the drone and make a show of taking the phone out and switching it into video recording mode.

• Haha
Reactions: Mrprop365
Really, I just want to remember what was going through my head, (besides the wind), while i was flying.
I do talk to myself a lot. Is that weird? Just don't always recall all of it.
Plus, I'm pretty funny when no one is around.
yup ,you wanna be left alone,that will do the trick….👍

Reactions: KBF
The confrontation is an after thought, but I do find my self talking to myself while flying and was thinking real time narration might be both informative and entertaining.
I use the Mavic 2's as my 'big birds' and they can automatically record audio concurrent with video. Tried that once and decided (like the cabin audio record with my dash cam) it would be best if it were disabled. My stream-of-consciousness 'running commentaries' tend to be a continuous stream of four letter profanity, especially during mosquito season.

I use the Mavic 2's as my 'big birds' and they can automatically record audio concurrent with video. Tried that once and decided (like the cabin audio record with my dash cam) it would be best if it were disabled. My stream-of-consciousness 'running commentaries' tend to be a continuous stream of four letter profanity, especially during mosquito season.
😁

When flying my Mini, my cellphone is mounted on the controller and running the DJI Fly app. I often (if I remember to do it) set the screen recorder running on my phone. That way I have a record of any warnings or error messages that may pop up, and a record of the screen telemetry. It helps when trying to figure out what I've done wrong if something unexpected occurs.

The benefit of using the screen recorder is that it also records sound, so I have a record of anything I say during the flight (whether that's commentary or cursing). The further benefit is that the phone then also records whatever anyone else says to me while I'm flying.

I do. I use my phone in my left upper pocket. I turn on video when anyone approaches. I document everything but then I'm a lawyer. Evidence is everything in a he said she said world. 'Nuff said.
Yep agreed. I start recording as soon as I arrive at launch point and turn it off when leaving. I never leave home without it. Remember Sgt. Esterhaus’ parting words after each briefing…..”Hey hey, let’s be careful out there.”

Last edited:
Reactions: GrayHornet
It's more of an ADD thing for me. Just want to remember what I was thinking during flights and be prepared for what might happen outside of my control. Always ready.

It's more of an ADD thing for me. Just want to remember what I was thinking during flights and be prepared for what might happen outside of my control. Always ready.
Depending on which controller you are using you can record audio with the screen recorder, I like using the Drone Valley wireless mic with the rc2, plug n play.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13