DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone use landing gear extensions for the Mini 2?

SWFLyer

Reactions
Hi all!

Newb here. I bought a HeiyRC clip on foldable, landing gear extension for my Mini 2.

Got to admit those rear props look awfully close to the ground. I have not seen anyone using them o
in tutorial videos I've watched. (I am not up to hand launch/catch just yet) Is it useful? Just a gimmick?

Thanks!

Reactions: Player-Pe
It's just a gimmick. Get a small landing pad and use it when necessary or learn to hand launch/land from time to time.

Reactions: MS Coast
Hi all!

Newb here. I bought a HeiyRC clip on foldable, landing gear extension for my Mini 2.

Got to admit those rear props look awfully close to the ground. I have not seen anyone using them o
in tutorial videos I've watched. (I am not up to hand launch/catch just yet) Is it useful? Just a gimmick?

Thanks!
I've not found them necessary. Just land on flat surfaces without loose gravel and dirt. (Not that adding landing gear provides any significant protection from gravel and dirt.) There's almost always something available, and if not, the plastic lid to a 5-gallon bucket or a scrap of plywood works well.

I'm more concerned about the camera/gimbal being struck by some irregular object than having the drone tip so far that a prop tip could contact the landing surface.

Last edited:
Long ago I bought some extenders but I have only used them in test flights of them, if the surface is questionable I hand launch/land.

Hi all!

Thanks!
Works great on my mini gen 1. It holds on pretty good and I rather use it instead of letting the drone hit the ground...that is, if I'm not using the hand grab.

If you go with a landing pad, make sure it has built in stakes that allow it to be fastened to the ground or is heavy enough that a stiff breeze does not cause the pad to lift… A while back, a member had one of these collapsible pads that springs open like the sun screen for car windshields. They were flying it when it was windy, (I do not think it was too windy…) but they were videotaping and when they came in for a landing, the pad lifted up and smacked their drone out of the air…

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
If you go with a landing pad, make sure it has built in stakes that allow it to be fastened to the ground or is heavy enough that a stiff breeze does not cause the pad to lift… A while back, a member had one of these collapsible pads that springs open like the sun screen for car windshields. They were flying it when it was windy, (I do not think it was too windy…) but they were videotaping and when they came in for a landing, the pad lifted up and smacked their drone out of the air…
Good point. If it's not too windy and you are using a tiny drone or a sub-250g drone, think about a folding square type pad which is a bit more rigid and resistant; like this:

Reactions: LoudThunder
Also, if you care about the 250g exemption from registration and RID, adding landing gear extensions will certainly take you over the technical 250g weight limitation, while the landing pad options will definitely not!

I didn't need landing gear extensions for my first drones... Phantom 3's 🙂

Bought them for my first Mavic... Used them a few times at first, haven't used them since.

The last drone I bought, a Mini 2, was purchased from the classifieds here and had lots of accessories, including a one-piece landing gear skid. I fitted it one time sitting in my shop, could barely figure out how to get the blasted thing back off, never flew with it. FYI, the Mini 2 weighs 240g on my digital kitchen scales, 245g with the landing skid attached.

The floor mat from a car / truck works well as a takeoff / landing pad.

I didn't need landing gear extensions for my first drones... Phantom 3's 🙂

Bought them for my first Mavic... Used them a few times at first, haven't used them since.

The last drone I bought, a Mini 2, was purchased from the classifieds here and had lots of accessories, including a one-piece landing gear skid. I fitted it one time sitting in my shop, could barely figure out how to get the blasted thing back off, never flew with it. FYI, the Mini 2 weighs 240g on my digital kitchen scales, 245g with the landing skid attached.

The floor mat from a car / truck works well as a takeoff / landing pad.
Good to know. I figured they would be heavier than that, and didn't realize DJI left that much headroom.

Hi all!

Thanks!
Hi all!

Thanks!

Landing gear extensions would throw your Mini 2 over the 250 gram threshold. Buy a landing pad instead.
I initially thought so, too, but see post #9 above. It wouldn't.
However, a landing pad is certainly the best option overall, until he feels up to hand catching.

Use a lanyard such that the remote control hangs around your neck (that is essential, see photo). Hold the mini with your left hand in the air, with your right hand tap the auto-start button and start as usual.
There is no need to throw it up as you can see in some Youtube videos - just move your hand down. It will hoover as in a normal auto-start.
You may auto-land it on your hand as you would a normal landing on the ground. or you may catch it between thumb and index finger and hold it. Then wait until the motors turn off.
Do not pull the mini down while the motors are still running - lifting it a bit is OK. Tyr it and you will see why.
There are quite some videos on YouTube and all for the Mini 2, 3 and 4 (pro) can be useful.

Attachments

• lantard.jpg
    lantard.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
ive got a lanyard but its only got clip
i think it goes around the extension for the battery ,
Its in the bag with alot of other bits and bobs

How do you Hand launch min 2 ??
ive got two hands hold controller and need to press fly button
So how ?
A landing pad might be an easier solution, and avoids the need for manual dexterity and propeller avoidance. There are some reasonably priced ones made just for drones. And a scrap of carpet or plywood works just fine, too.

I'm usually able to find a flat clean surface for takeoffs and landings.

A landing pad might be an easier solution, and avoids the need for manual dexterity and propeller avoidance. There are some reasonably priced ones made just for drones. And a scrap of carpet or plywood works just fine, too.

I'm usually able to find a flat clean surface for takeoffs and landings.
Ive got a landing pad ,i just wanted to know how do it by hand

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captainhook