DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does DJI brick stolen drones?

UPDATE:
For anyone wondering how this played out, I called DJI and they said the serial is fine and they aren’t sure why it comes up an error but since I have to do the video review to get DJI care, it won’t be an issue since an agent will process it.

Thanks for all those who chimed in!

DJI have the ability to block drones if they are reported lost or stolen.
But they don’t. Because how would they know if it was a real report or some kind of revenge report.
There’s no way to authoritatively authenticate your identity

Reactions: lenabanana
It says USA&CA on the box next to the serial and I’m trying to buy care refresh in Canada.

Though admittedly, the aircraft was already activated and I’m looking at doing the video submission to add it after 48 hours. I’m checking the serial on the dji website for care refresh like I usually do when I buy a 2nd hand drone. Every other time I’ve done this with a 2nd hand drone it shows me “no coverage” or “coverage until x date” - but perhaps he never bought refresh and that’s why it’s giving me an invalid sin error.
That is the problem then. You only have 48 hours from when it was activated to get Care Refresh.

I have asked DJI to brick my Mavic Air that was stolen and they said they dont do that, but once they try to update the firmware they will

Just out of curiosity, can you expand on this?
Kind of seems like two conflicting statements. Why would the drone become bricked after a firmware update when DJI said they “don’t do that”?

If DJI does do it, which I thought they wouldn't, they probably meant it wouldn't be effective until the SN is added to the database and the firmware is updated by whoever has it. They couldn't immediately force it to brick.

I recently picked up a Mavic 2 air off kijiji (Canadian Craigslist). The drone is like new and the seller has been great.

However when I went to check dji care coverage (with plans to add it) the website tells me the serial is invalid.

I found this odd so I reached out to the seller, who said the drone was a gift, brand new and wrapped when he received it - however he can’t say where the gifter bought it. When I asked him if it may potentially be stolen (before I call dji) he told me it’s possible and that he didn’t even consider it but would be happy to accept a return.

So if this drone was off the back of the truck, is it possible that calling in to inquire about it would result in dji bricking the device?

Does anyone have any experience with something like this

from what I read : the original purchasing is under who's name the s/n is always going to be under. period! but, ... that is all I know. I now know all drones under FAA needs a registered number . that number is attached to the S/N.. hopefully they can find the guys. .. seems like most on ebay chop em up?

I recently picked up a Mavic 2 air off kijiji (Canadian Craigslist). The drone is like new and the seller has been great.

However when I went to check dji care coverage (with plans to add it) the website tells me the serial is invalid.

I found this odd so I reached out to the seller, who said the drone was a gift, brand new and wrapped when he received it - however he can’t say where the gifter bought it. When I asked him if it may potentially be stolen (before I call dji) he told me it’s possible and that he didn’t even consider it but would be happy to accept a return.

So if this drone was off the back of the truck, is it possible that calling in to inquire about it would result in dji bricking the device?

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?
DJI wont shut down a drone even at the request of the owner. Ive tried it. You may not be able to upgrade it but you will still be able to fly all you want and thats why my $200 reward didnt get my mavic air back

• Wow
Reactions: sharkface
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AviewFromAbove_