DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does DJI brick stolen drones?

lenabanana

Reactions
I recently picked up a Mavic 2 air off kijiji (Canadian Craigslist). The drone is like new and the seller has been great.

However when I went to check dji care coverage (with plans to add it) the website tells me the serial is invalid.

I found this odd so I reached out to the seller, who said the drone was a gift, brand new and wrapped when he received it - however he can’t say where the gifter bought it. When I asked him if it may potentially be stolen (before I call dji) he told me it’s possible and that he didn’t even consider it but would be happy to accept a return.

So if this drone was off the back of the truck, is it possible that calling in to inquire about it would result in dji bricking the device?

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

There has been a stolen shipment a couple of years ago and these aircraft would not even activate.

Reactions: Thomas B
There has been a stolen shipment a couple of years ago and these aircraft would not even activate.

Ya that’s kind of what I was thinking.
If they had a way to brick them, I imagine it would have happened on activation or as soon as WiFi was connected since it would show the serial in the app.

However I want to get as much info as possible because the seller has been lovely so far and I wouldn’t want to screw him by getting it bricked and then returning it to him.

On the flip side, it might be totally legit and just some other issue with the serial number. Just looking for peoples insight/experience before deciding how to proceed.

Maybe contact DJI support on the DJI app, and ask them about the serial number. They would be able to tell you why it’s invalid.

Maybe contact DJI support on the DJI app, and ask them about the serial number. They would be able to tell you why it’s invalid.

I’m worried that doing so will result in them investigating and bricking it if it was in fact stolen originally, which is why I’m here to ask about DJIs protocol first.

Reactions: Rogat19
DJI have the ability to block drones if they are reported lost or stolen.

I don’t disagree they “can”, but “will” they? I have not been able to find a single report of someone buying or having a bricked dji drone.

Hoping someone here has more experience.

Ya that’s kind of what I was thinking.
If they had a way to brick them, I imagine it would have happened on activation or as soon as WiFi was connected since it would show the serial in the app.

However I want to get as much info as possible because the seller has been lovely so far and I wouldn’t want to screw him by getting it bricked and then returning it to him.

On the flip side, it might be totally legit and just some other issue with the serial number. Just looking for peoples insight/experience before deciding how to proceed.

First I would as normal activate the drone , than I would go back to the page and try to add the Refresh.
If it activates your good, but if you cannot get the Refresh , I would ask for a discount from him .

Like him or not he did put you in Jeopardy. with his{ sketch could be stolen routine} that alone is worth the discount.
Good Luck

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

As per my experience they can only "brick or block" before activation. Once activated nothing they can do (had a stolen credit card order for a MP1 that we shipped a few years ago and dji said nothing they can do once activated)
Its been some time though but i would assume the same would apply to newer models as well

I recently picked up a Mavic 2 air off kijiji (Canadian Craigslist). The drone is like new and the seller has been great.

However when I went to check dji care coverage (with plans to add it) the website tells me the serial is invalid.

I found this odd so I reached out to the seller, who said the drone was a gift, brand new and wrapped when he received it - however he can’t say where the gifter bought it. When I asked him if it may potentially be stolen (before I call dji) he told me it’s possible and that he didn’t even consider it but would be happy to accept a return.

So if this drone was off the back of the truck, is it possible that calling in to inquire about it would result in dji bricking the device?

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

This seems like more aggravation than what it’s worth. I would get my money back. And try some other source. ( unless it was a steal).....of a deal. [emoji41]

Reactions: hiflyer201
First I would as normal activate the drone , than I would go back to the page and try to add the Refresh.
If it activates your good, but if you cannot get the Refresh , I would ask for a discount from him .

Like him or not he did put you in Jeopardy. with his{ sketch could be stolen routine} that alone is worth the discount.
Good Luck

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

The drone is already activated and the test flight today went off without a hitch. I’ve updated the firmware and it is operating beautifully.

The battery has a total of 1 charge on it and the price was fair, the seller was also kind enough to deliver it to a friend of mine and has been open in communication even about it potentially being stolen. I really can’t fault the guy if he doesn’t know where a gift was purchased.

I think I’m going to call dji and see what they say. Hopefully it’s just a website glitch.

I’m worried that doing so will result in them investigating and bricking it if it was in fact stolen originally, which is why I’m here to ask about DJIs protocol first.
As for the dji care...what region was your drone intended for use in? it should say NA on the box for north america if not that could be why the care is not working

As for the dji care...what region was your drone intended for use in? it should say NA on the box for north america if not that could be why the care is not working

It says USA&CA on the box next to the serial and I’m trying to buy care refresh in Canada.

Though admittedly, the aircraft was already activated and I’m looking at doing the video submission to add it after 48 hours. I’m checking the serial on the dji website for care refresh like I usually do when I buy a 2nd hand drone. Every other time I’ve done this with a 2nd hand drone it shows me “no coverage” or “coverage until x date” - but perhaps he never bought refresh and that’s why it’s giving me an invalid sin error.

If the drone was already activated when you got it, that's why you can't directly buy Refresh. Has to be purchased within a specific time frame of the activation...48 hours if memory serves. You CAN buy it after that but you need to jump through some hoops. https://repair.dji.com/en/djicare/c...3d87e1334216b8a46c0&from=dap_unique&pm=custom

Yes I’m aware, it requires a video review.

The drone however shows “invalid SN” when doing a CHECK for coverage. Usually it will show no coverage/ coverage until x date when you put a serial in.

Reactions: DDS
I’m in Canada, we don’t really have “drone insurance” here. Most insurance companies I tried last year thought I was nuts.
Take a look at THIS link for Coverdrone Canada, it is who I am with but in the UK.
Covers loss, theft & damage for all equipment in the air or on the ground :)

Take a look at THIS link for Coverdrone Canada, it is who I am with but in the UK.
Covers loss, theft & damage for all equipment in the air or on the ground [emoji4]

Looks like it’s for commercial insurance only?

Can you clarify?

I filled out their application for a quote but all the questions are for businesses asking what type of liability coverage you need, what type of work, etc.

No dice. Got a reply:

Good Afternoon,

I hope you are well. Thank you for your enquiry. Unfortunately the agent we use in Canada can only transact commercial business so we cannot insure recreational operators at present.

If you know of a broker who would be able to transact recreational business please ask them to contact us as we may be able to then assist.

Have a great day.

Kind regards

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+