DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does DJI Go 4 still work fine for iPad Mini 4?

Just wish DJI devs weren't so incompetent with their app, nobody should be forced to purchase an Apple product for a single app, and nobody should be forced to deal with planned obsolescence.
It’s so difficult to know whether it’s the iOS updates or the DJI GO 4 app that is the problem with crashes. And as with any/all updates there’s risks involved. But I personally always update my iPads to the latest version and it might be unwise but I always update my drones to the latest firmware updates as well. Trusting DJI is definitely a risk but I try to believe that they’ll get it right even if it takes a few revisions to the firmware updates. With my Inspire 2 there’s been a lot of things go wrong lately with firmware updates but ultimately DJI figures it out and gets us a great product for us to fly.

Reactions: CrashingMavic
Hi Starz and Merry Christmas! Last question I promise, Looking to purchase the mini 4. As they come provider specific, i.e.Sprint, At&t etc. I have no desire to activate, will the GPS still give home point location without activation? Sim card not necessary?
Simple answer is YES. I have the iPad mini 4 and I am not using any specific provider and no SIMM card is necessary for GPS to work and provide the home point location. And check out Best Buy for open box iPads, it’s where I got my iPad mini 4 128gb one for $239 with a year of Apple care.
And Merry Christmas to you and all the other people who are on this thread! ;)
And never worry about asking questions it’s how we learn from each other. Believe me I ask plenty of questions on here.

I prefer to use the MavMount mounting bracket for my iPad mini 4 because it makes it much easier to fit the iPad mini 4.
And it’s adjustable to where I want my iPad mini 4 to be exactly where I want it.
Make sure you have your home button on the right hand side so that the magnets in the iPad don’t effect the remote control for compass calibration reasons.

I have the ipad mini 4 and the 9.7 ipad, not cell and they both work very well. i use the mavmount for them and it also works well. I fly 98% of the time with the 9.7. I like to see what i am doing. I use the mini 4 all the time with my Osmo.

Again, my apologies. To answer your question, I have not been brave enough to update the pad. I’m currently on 12.1 and it’s showing that there is something that reads “12.1.1”
I do think something has changed recently as I do get an app crash now (three so far) that I never got prior to a few months ago. Whether it’s an app problem, or iOS issue, I can’t say. I have two mini’s, one that is way back on operating system that I can fall back on just in case. Updating anything has risks anymore. Thanks for the space!
I read last night that there are problems with 12.1.2 and that you should wait for 12.1.3.

Apple iOS 12.1.2 Has A Serious Problem

Hi Starz and Merry Christmas! Last question I promise, Looking to purchase the mini 4. As they come provider specific, i.e.Sprint, At&t etc. I have no desire to activate, will the GPS still give home point location without activation? Sim card not necessary?

You might consider waiting for the release of the new iPad Mini 5 (or Pro) which could happen as soon as late January or early February. The Mini 4 was released late 2015 and is old tech compared to the rest of the iPad range.

But it's all conjecture - Apple may end up discontinuing the iPad Mini. If you don't hate the idea of using a 9.7" screen and a tablet holder then the current entry-level iPad is highly regarded for use with DJI RCs - it would perform much better than the Mini 4.

the Mini for me, is the perfect size. If they do a 5, I’m there.

Fully agree but I must say that I am more than happy using the 9.7" iPad Pro mounted on the PGYTech Tablet Holder - now that I am used to it. I am also waiting to see if this new style of RC (see link below) becomes popular enough for DJI to release models that are compatible with a wider range of drones.

Gamevice Controller for DJI Spark and RyzeTech Tello - DJI

After following the cs thread and the hoops they jump through for that hardware, I will hang back on that little known gem until I see happy people. And I picked up a used 7.8 ub and was shocked at the instruction manual. Still trying to sort through the parameters.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin