DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does DJI have a QC Problem?

But I think this is different because in previous DJI products, they directed you to do these calibrations, whereas with the Mavic they say to NOT do the calibrations unless directed to do so. I think what they should do is have DETAILED AND CLEAR instructions how to calibrate and then have the users do in upon initialization. The "fly out of the box" idea is just not a good idea it seems to me.
Well that was my first drone... I was "terrified" to fly the first time... I checked all their videos & that was in it... (ok maybe I read a few posts around here also[emoji28]) I just don't get people buying a DRONE and thinking they can fly it out of the box.... That shows a lack of responsibility...

Did anyone else notice the light and beeping when the guy's Mavic kept auto-landing? The light was blinking red and it sounded like it was in RTH mode. If the battery was bad and the Mavic thought it was out of juice, I suspect it would auto-land just like it did.

He seemed experienced, so I doubt it. He did say he went to his friends location and the friend had no problems. The one thing he did not mention was if they are both running the same firmware.

Rob

I just wanted to chime in that there are definitely QC issues with this drone. I have documented this horizon tilt issue and know that at least one other user doesn't have it, because we tested our drones side by side in exactly the same wind conditions at exactly the same altitude with exactly the same settings: Tilted horizon issue: tests with(out)gimbal cover

According to the serial look up mine was built Saturday February 18th
I sent it back for gimble crack around a screw waiting on refund/replacement
609810c4027a944dd0afeeb60b82b138.jpg

Well that was my first drone... I was "terrified" to fly the first time... I checked all their videos & that was in it... (ok maybe I read a few posts around here also[emoji28]) I just don't get people buying a DRONE and thinking they can fly it out of the box.... That shows a lack of responsibility...

i bought my Mav in february 6, and now i have few test flight and just reading the manual and refreshing the software, and practice (on youtube :D). this Mavic is my first drone also to me. tomorrow i'll go with my friend to fly. i can't wait!

i bought my Mav in february 6, and now i have few test flight and just reading the manual and refreshing the software, and practice (on youtube :D). this Mavic is my first drone also to me. tomorrow i'll go with my friend to fly. i can't wait!
Haha well I may have been taken my virginity by playing the adolescent on electric unicycle & crashing at 30 & 40km/h on concrete... After a few crashes it went into my brain [emoji28] [emoji28] [emoji28]

Now I get careful with any new unit that needs attention Hehe...

Haha well I may have been taken my virginity by playing the adolescent on electric unicycle & crashing at 30 & 40km/h on concrete... After a few crashes it went into my brain [emoji28] [emoji28] [emoji28]

Now I get careful with any new unit that needs attention Hehe...

uhh, it must have been painful :eek:

i'm a very cautious guy. i was, always in my life. but here on this forum i learned the trouble can come from nowhere. but i learned also, high percentage of drone crash is because pilot error (inattention).

Reactions: jdcntulsa
uhh, it must have been painful :eek:

i'm a very cautious guy. i was, always in my life. but here on this forum i learned the trouble can come from nowhere. but i learned also, high percentage of drone crash is because pilot error (inattention).
Same as EUC [emoji39] (just a longer time to be back again LOL)

Watching this video last night I could instantly see that a lot things that they are talking about seem to be mentioned on this forum. My Mavic is older and gives Zero problems. Guys like me scratch our heads when some guys are saying they are having certain issues, maybe this explains it.

Could the Mavic serial number lookup website be re-coded to ask if the model number that is entered has had any problems out of the box. Then the data can be bar graphed by the manufacturing month so we can see if this video is really true.

Rob

I don't think mine is a "lemon" because it works quite well. But I know the video/stills are soft on the left 1/3. Now other people also have "part soft" cameras as well. I don't know if DJI make the camera, but it better come back clean and clear from Carson...

From the design side, however, DJI do have an issue with tilted video horizon. They really need to solve this. The attitude of the aircraft in flight is well known (body angle) and the position of the camera is well known. They need to review that code and fix it. Not saying it's trivial. It is traceable and fixable. (This is not isolated to Mavic).

Good video, thanks.

Note: Given the rush of orders for the MP, I do understand DJI rushing. I hope they learn from all of the returns that it doesn't pay well.

Note: I received a P4P the other day. I didn't calibrate anything other than the gimbal. Worked fine. Today, with nothing better to do, I calibrated the IMU. We'll see if that helps the tilted horizon. Right.

Reactions: mlaczek
Interesting. I purchased my original Mavic in Feb. Arrived damaged so I sent it back. Decoding the serial number on the replacement it shows a mfg. date of Sept 25th 2016. How can this be unless they sent me a rebuilt one. Doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Reactions: dlopezjurado
I just wanted to chime in that there are definitely QC issues with this drone. I have documented this horizon tilt issue and know that at least one other user doesn't have it, because we tested our drones side by side in exactly the same wind conditions at exactly the same altitude with exactly the same settings: Tilted horizon issue: tests with(out)gimbal cover

I'm convinced this is endemic to DJI products and not isolated to the MP. I've seen it on the Phantom and that group complains about the same thing. My own P4P has shown it.

Watching this video last night I could instantly see that a lot things that they are talking about seem to be mentioned on this forum. My Mavic is older and gives Zero problems. Guys like me scratch our heads when some guys are saying they are having certain issues, maybe this explains it.

Could the Mavic serial number lookup website be re-coded to ask if the model number that is entered has had any problems out of the box. Then the data can be bar graphed by the manufacturing month so we can see if this video is really true.

Rob
good video and i agree, when you need to increase production from heavy demand, you just crank it out - QC be damned...and the second issue is ZERO confidence in DJI service and support. another joke.

What is considered the rush period?
I am not sure - but judging by the serial numbers, in OCT NOV they were clearly ramping up production.
The build numbers have plateaued somewhat since then - while still increasing slightly. I reckon they are producing about 30k mavics a week. Does this appear realistic?

I'm convinced this is endemic to DJI products and not isolated to the MP. I've seen it on the Phantom and that group complains about the same thing. My own P4P has shown it.

Are you saying the variation between drones of the same make is endemic, or that all drones of the same make have it? I'm asking because the Mavic of the guy I compared to had almost zero horizon tilt, I'd say 20% of my tilt in the most extreme . maneuvers.

Are you saying the variation between drones of the same make is endemic, or that all drones of the same make have it? I'm asking because the Mavic of the guy I compared to had almost zero horizon tilt, I'd say 20% of my tilt in the most extreme . maneuvers.

The variation between drones seems to me to be random. I have days with nice level horizons and days where I can't get a break. I've done the "gimbal adjustment" only to see the tilt go the opposite way in flight... I'm betting there is a fundamental flaw in their gimbal s/w and they haven't found it or have no inclination to do so.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas