Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does everyone recalibrate.............

• Thread starter Deleted member 133794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 133794

I've just read some information regarding recalibration of the IMU and Compass
and it strongly advised doing this each time after a car journey. So for me and probably
many others who don't always fly without a car trip to where your flying from, this basically
means each flight. Is this right or necessary in your opinions.

Reactions: old man mavic
and it strongly advised doing this each time after a car journey. So for me and probably
many others who don't always fly without a car trip to where your flying from, this basically
I only recalibrate when requested. Most of the forum members suggest this practice and it seems to serve me and my Mavic Mini well. Most of my flights are after a car journey. ?
Blue Skys and Happy Trails➰

I only recalibrate when requested. Most of the forum members suggest this practice and it seems to serve me and my Mavic Mini well.
Blue Skys and Happy Trails
Me too.

and it strongly advised doing this each time after a car journey.
There's no reason at all to recalibrate anything after a trip in the car.
There's a lot of confusion and misinformation about the compass and the piece you read is just another part of that.

there is no need to recalibrate ,most times when a compass calibration comes up, is because of some metal near to the take off point ,and just moving a couple of feet will make the message go away
in over two years of ownership of my MPP i have calibrated the IMU once when i first aquired it and the compass probably no more than three times in total after over 600 flights in many places around Wales

Considering all of the Horrors we put are drones thru we dont ever recalibrate.
That includes: Storms : Water Landings : Harley Rides: Horses: Cars: Planes.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in and out of the Storm
Mine doesnt ride on a Harley but on a bigger better faster scooter, lol.

Only when requested.
With my Mavic Air I had to do this regularly,
with my MA2 hardly any more.
The Mavic Air 21 is soooo good and stable in every aspect.

Whilst it is true that there is no ‘need’ neither is there a ‘really good’ or technical reason not to, ie that you should not do it

Most of these replies though valid are typical in that if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, until there is a problem!

You won’t ‘cause’ a problem by recalibrating compass when in a new location so you choose as suits your own peace of mind ?

I only do it if requested, and yes, most every single flight requires driving to the location. It has served me well for 2 years.

Reactions: Thomas B
the main point i was trying to make with regards to compass calibration, and it being caused by metal in the ground or nearby is, that doing the compass dance in the same place will not cure the issue ,as the magnetic interference is still there and will still effect the compass even after the calibration has been done ,i have always since i started flying, used a compass to find magnetic north, i hold it at chest height and then slowly lower it to the ground,if there is any hidden metal in the ground then the compass will move as it is being lowered, if all is ok then i set my take off pad so that the north N is facing mag north, and then when the drone has booted up and is ready to fly, i can then check that the drone arrow is pointing the small N on the outer circle of the orientation display ,then i know that the drone is ok to fly
it may sound complicated,but in reality it only takes a few moments to do, and i have never had any issues with toilet bowling ,or the drone not responding

So, based on that, I have a question for you! If the only compass I have is in my iPhone, will that work?compass.jpgcompass.jpg

@Dale D Hi Dale have never tried it i use a small hand held compass

Hi OMM
I read your post and went out in my yard to experiment. Here is the result with the iPhone compass. I held the iPhone at my chest, and pointed to NORTH. See first image. Then, lower it to a rebar (iron) in my driveway. There was no deviation of the needle. iPhone compass.jpgIron bar.jpgIron bar.jpgiPhone compass.jpgiPhone compass.jpg

Whilst it is true that there is no ‘need’ neither is there a ‘really good’ or technical reason not to, ie that you should not do it

Most of these replies though valid are typical in that if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, until there is a problem!

You won’t ‘cause’ a problem by recalibrating compass when in a new location so you choose as suits your own peace of mind ?
Yes you can “cause” a problem by recalibrating in a new location, if it’s magnetic. Fly away from the “new” location and the drone gets lost. The compass will start pointing the wrong way. If no calibration warning appears, you’re good to fly. If it does, move around to see if it goes away. If not, Only then would you need to recalibrate.

Dale D, don’t think it will work. Need the magnetism of the handheld compass. You’re reading gps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78