DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does having a part 107 come with any added priviliges other than commercial work?

black_magic100

Reactions
Side question... Now that I understand airspace better it has come to my attention that I am allowed to fly over my university even though they banned drones on the campus. Is this true because they can't legally restrict the airspace themselves, but they can restrict you launching and landing on the ground? (worth mentioning that I would not fly over students)

Leading back to the main question... When I use airmaps to check the airspace and I mark the flight as "part 107", the indicator goes from orange (because of heliports) to green. It's my understanding that no matter where you are heliport notification is not necessarily required, but you should exercise caution in those areas. Why would the indicator go from orange->to green because I am part 107?

Part 107 or has a hobbier... Flying close to heliports doesn't necessarily mean you can do whatever you want. You don't need to notify them but you need to watch for helicopters flying close to land. They are not as restricted as airports where u need to notify them.

Side question... Now that I understand airspace better it has come to my attention that I am allowed to fly over my university even though they banned drones on the campus. Is this true because they can't legally restrict the airspace themselves, but they can restrict you launching and landing on the ground? (worth mentioning that I would not fly over students)

Leading back to the main question... When I use airmaps to check the airspace and I mark the flight as "part 107", the indicator goes from orange (because of heliports) to green. It's my understanding that no matter where you are heliport notification is not necessarily required, but you should exercise caution in those areas. Why would the indicator go from orange->to green because I am part 107?

https://top-10-drones.com/blog/benefits-drawbacks-part-107-license/
10 Things to Know About Part 107 - AirMap

Part 107 or has a hobbier... Flying close to heliports doesn't necessarily mean you can do whatever you want. You don't need to notify them but you need to watch for helicopters flying close to land. They are not as restricted as airports where u need to notify them.
" ...heliport notification is not necessarily required, but you should exercise caution in those areas"

Part 101 requires you to notify any airports (including heliports) within 5 miles - hence the orange. Part 107 does not have that requirement, and there are no other general requirements or restrictions in Class G airspace. Since the surface airspace is generally uncontrolled (Class G) around heliports, Part 107 flight is unrestricted - hence the green.

Part 101 requires you to notify any airports (including heliports) within 5 miles - hence the orange. Part 107 does not have that requirement, and there are no other general requirements or restrictions in Class G airspace. Since the surface airspace is generally uncontrolled (Class G) around heliports, Part 107 flight is unrestricted - hence the green.
Forgive me because it is early, but most class G airports don't have ATC's so how would you even contact them in the first place.. regardless of whether or not you have your part 107?

It is my understanding…
In Part 107 the FAA doesn't say "that drone ops are unrestricted in Class G." They're saying...you can fly in Class G airspace without having to get in touch with ATC.

They're also saying...make sure that regardless of what airspace you're operating in, unless you have a specific waiver that states otherwise, keep your operations to less than 400 feet (unless you're surveying a structure, in which case you can operate up to 400 feet above the structure (and 400 feet around the structure).

Please feel free to correct me if I have misinterpreted.

Forgive me because it is early, but most class G airports don't have ATC's so how would you even contact them in the first place.. regardless of whether or not you have your part 107?

Part 101 doesn't simply say contact ATC:

101.41 (e): When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.

It is my understanding…
In Part 107 the FAA doesn't say "that drone ops are unrestricted in Class G." They're saying...you can fly in Class G airspace without having to get in touch with ATC.

They're also saying...make sure that regardless of what airspace you're operating in, unless you have a specific waiver that states otherwise, keep your operations to less than 400 feet (unless you're surveying a structure, in which case you can operate up to 400 feet above the structure (and 400 feet around the structure).

Please feel free to correct me if I have misinterpreted.

I was referring to airspace restrictions - I should have made that clearer. The airspace restrictions in Part 107 are in §107.41 Operation in certain airspace:

No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).
Class G operations are allowed, but that doesn't mean that the other requirements and restrictions of Part 107 don't apply in uncontrolled airspace. However, there is no requirement to contact airports.

Last edited:
Reactions: ksmusa
I don't understand how some people in this forum said that part 107 is more restricted than 101. With part 107 you should have more freedom than part 101 (hobby) because you know more the airspace than people that flying as a hobby.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS