DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does it float in water?

calltrex

Reactions
Anyone land in water by accident? Does it float?I have pontoon at lake. Just wondering incase.

?

Anyone land in water by accident? Does it float?I have pontoon at lake. Just wondering incase.
The MM floats like an expensive brick on water ... DON'T!!!

Reactions: Thomas B
Hi Calltrex

There are aftermarket pontoons that you can attach to the drone to stop it sinking if it lands in water, but you need to get to it quick in case it flips over etc....

Good Luck with this
Waylander

Reactions: Johnsrog
Mavic mini float trial.(and error)

There are aftermarket pontoons that you can attach to the drone to stop it sinking if it lands in water, but you need to get to it quick in case it flips over etc....
Those aftermarket pontoons will seriously impact the Mini's flying ability and could contribute to its loss rather than improving safety.
In a fall from the sky situation, the floats would also cause it to land upside down.

Reactions: Thomas B
More like a boat anchor.
The boat anchor provides for a poor analogy in comparison. You might find the drone has moved a lot further from a position close to directly below the impact point on the surface than a boat anchor ever would. Also, the boat anchor could have a convenient means of bringing the drone back to the surface (rope and/or chain).

Just if I was flying it from my boat and it screws up and lands or crashes in water.

If I can get it back send it in for a new one

Just if I was flying it from my boat and it screws up and lands or crashes in water.

If I can get it back send it in for a new one

No.

drones and water, is the same as drones and trees, they don't play well together,the same can be said for any sort of structure, and indeed the ground itself after freefall
if you fly over water you are risking the drone being lost if an issue happens,and it can't continue to stay airborne,in the case of the mini, putting any sort of floatation device on it will severely restrict its performance and could even contribute to it having a crash

They make a self inflating keychain buoy that I’ve been thinking about putting on my mini in case I crash into the water. At least, in theory, you can recover the Mavic. I’m just curious if anyone has used this successfully to recover a downed/drowned drone?

Attachments

• D1CF59E3-406C-41C2-A6D4-061D943A78EE.png
    D1CF59E3-406C-41C2-A6D4-061D943A78EE.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
Reactions: Bface
They make a self inflating keychain buoy that I’ve been thinking about putting on my mini in case I crash into the water. At least, in theory, you can recover the Mavic. I’m just curious if anyone has used this successfully to recover a downed/drowned drone?
I use the GetterBack device if flying over water.

That clever thingy should be included when you sign up for DJI Care Refresh :D

• Haha
Reactions: slup

So that doesn't make the drone float, but rather is meant to pull the drone up in 100 feet of water?

Just wondering if it would be worth it to get it. I regularly fly over a lake that has spots that are 600' deep

So that doesn't make the drone float, but rather is meant to pull the drone up in 100 feet of water?

Just wondering if it would be worth it to get it. I regularly fly over a lake that has spots that are 600' deep
good luck recovering anything from that lake then, a minisub might do it

Reactions: Mrveronn

For the depths you mention, I don’t think so. If I were going to take steps to recover a hulk in those situations I’d use some kind of pontoon. Of course, having tried them, performance is windy conditions is severely impacted.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka