DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

There are plenty of YouTube videos with people showing best settings if you want to color correct or grade your video in post. I have heard that Art or D-Cinelike are the best profiles and that the other settings should be something like -1, 2, -2. The videos do seem a but dark, have you tried the full auto (none color profile and auto for other settings, other than WB) just to see if it still looks bad?

If you are responding to me I am shooting in -1, -1, -1 and on cinelike which I know is a mode used if you plan to edit. My issue isn't with the colors, just the noise. I have tried full auto minus WB with the most recent footage I've posted, and well... you see the results.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Trustinclark
I have the same problem with the image quality on my Mavic. Having come from the Phantom 3 pro I'm used to good image quality - the Mavic is really bad - I've tried all different settings followed instructions on the internet for the best settings but I still get a 'watercolour' effect to the image, the moire is bad too. I sold my old phantom 3 to a friend - we flew together today then afterwards compared the results - It was like night and day - I simply cannot accept this quality. I will be reluctantly returning my Mavic which is a real shame as the portability was a major draw for me as I'm travelling around the world on a motorcycle and documenting it as I go. May have to now look at the Gopro Karma when they get it sorted - not as portable though.

www.twowheelednomad.com

Has anyone who received a new Mavic seen improvements related to this issue? I am debating sending mine in but I'm still trying to figure out if that's a waste of time.

I would like to know too. The P3 shoots way more detailed footages without that grainy and painty look. I tried every setting inlc. resetting the mavic etc. This cant be it. Very unacceptable :(

Last edited:
Reactions: andy_mclennan
I would like to know too. The P3 shoots way more detailed footages without that grainy and painty look. I tried every setting inlc. resetting the mavic etc. This cant be it. Very unacceptable :(
Taking mine back to the store for a refund I'll let you know what the out come is.

Has anyone who received a new Mavic seen improvements related to this issue? I am debating sending mine in but I'm still trying to figure out if that's a waste of time.

Mine shoots excellent video and photos.

Please share some unedited out of cam 4k videos for us to compare and to show the DJI support something "tangible".
Thank you!

This is a screen grab of a 4k recording - sorry for the low res shot but trust me it's in focus in the middle.
Look at the trucks on the ice in the next shot, it looks like a water colour image. The trees are as in focus as it will get, then look at the image below that - the rightside on the same DOF plain - the trees are just mush, the whole rightside is out of focus. These images are at 100%

The screen shots of the skater on the ice in 4k: I focused on the skater and kept the drone stationary the monitor made the normal I'm in focus 'beep beep' so it was telling me I'm good to record. Now look at the skater at 100% it looks like he was painted on - what the ****!!! Please don't tell me I'm not focusing properly, I know how to focus.
Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 08.52.36.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-23 at 08.53.15.png Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 08.53.39.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-23 at 09.18.03.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-23 at 09.18.29.png

Those look horrible. Where can I upload a 4k file that it won't get murdered (like Youtube)?

Reactions: DJqpAZ
This thread sounds like it's a Mavic pro deficiency, that the quad isn't capable of taking great video or stills. There are known soft focus problems with defective cameras, specifically right or left side issues, and these get replaced or repaired. But there are loads of pro quality images and video available for all to see. And there are pro users raving about what it can do. Feel free to throw out the baby with the bath water, or just get your camera fixed. Also, it seems like customizing your camera settings will help for those suffering from more minor image issues, rather than trying to use default settings. Remember that this is a brand new product and we are early adopters. It's not perfect, but if your camera is working, this thing is fantastic. Both as a quadcopter and a camera.

Reactions: Norwegian_Airlord
Went to Multirotorheli in Calgary to return the Mavic. The owner a really nice guy took a look at the footage on my computer and agreed there was a problem. He said that he had sold 80 units and had 1 returned due to the same issue. He was happy to return it on my behalf but said usually the customer contacts DJI and DJi sort a return label and pay for customers postage costs. He said it's usually less than a 2 week turn around in Canada as it has to go to Vancouver to be repaired/replaced.

So, my advice to anyone worried about the image quality is to waste no more time on this thread and send it back to DJI for them to have a look at it. Your drone is still under warranty so there should be no quibble.

The owner said that if I decided to get it replaced/repaired and I was still not happy with the image quality I could take it back to the store (top guy) but I decided to cut my losses and paid the difference on a Phantom 4 pro instead.

Reactions: Icarus
This thread sounds like it's a Mavic pro deficiency, that the quad isn't capable of taking great video or stills. There are known soft focus problems with defective cameras, specifically right or left side issues, and these get replaced or repaired. But there are loads of pro quality images and video available for all to see. And there are pro users raving about what it can do. Feel free to throw out the baby with the bath water, or just get your camera fixed. Also, it seems like customizing your camera settings will help for those suffering from more minor image issues, rather than trying to use default settings. Remember that this is a brand new product and we are early adopters. It's not perfect, but if your camera is working, this thing is fantastic. Both as a quadcopter and a camera.
Already thrown the baby out and got the P4 Pro. I'd use the term "Pro quality" loosely as the sensor is about the size of an iPhone camera and personally I thought the image quality from the P3 was better. Sad to loose the portability though.

Reactions: andy_mclennan

I think the point of this thread, at least from my perspective is trying to compare the image quality I or someone else is getting, to others to see if there IS a problem with the camera, or if this is just the quality the mavic is capable of producing. The issues aren't huge for many and I get that the Mavic isn't sold for its "incredible camera" but rather the portability, but when I see these stills and videos that do look professional as you are mentioning, and I compare them to my own I am able to notice a difference. Sending the Mavic to DJI is a last resort for me so I am here trying to find out if the variation in my own quality versus others is potentially a settings issue I can fix myself or if I really DO need to send my drone back to DJI.

Reactions: maroux and peros550
I just took some footage about an hour ago and decided to attempt to showcase my issue here. Something I am noticing is that with the sharpness set at -1 many things (especially foliage) seem to shimmer and this was my initial cause for concern with my camera along with some noticeable moire in one of the clips. However, when I drop the sharpness to -2 that problem with shimmering seems to disappear for the most part but the image loses a lot of detail which when I attempted last week with another clip to edit in post I was unable to recover much of. Being that the sharpness can be set between -3 and +3 I am wondering if a drop of 1 from -1 to -2 should cause such drastic change. I'm going to upload the clips here and actually take another one similar to the clip low to the ground (which was shot on -1) but on -2 this time and see if my findings are consistent.

Clip 1:Dropbox - DJI_0001.MP4 (Cinelike, -1, -1, -1)

Clip 2: Dropbox - DJI_0004.MP4 (Cinelike, -2, -1, -1)

Clip 3: Dropbox - DJI_0016.MP4 (Cinelike, -1, -1, -1)

Clip 4: Dropbox - DJI_0017.MP4 (Cinelike, -2, -1, -1)

After uploading the final clip I notice that lowering the sharpening does help with the shimmering effect, but it does not completely eliminate it.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair