DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

I seem to get better video when it is brighter outside. All my other footage is already edited though.

Your footage looks very similar to mine from what I can tell. Are you considering this flawed or good footage in your opinion?

When edited, it looks good to me. I color correct and then upscale to 60fps in post and it looks pretty good. In post, the moire is gone for the most part. I don't keep any fast moving pans, only stable footage. My use of the video is different than yours I'm sure. Since you get paid for your work, I can understand how it could be unacceptable, depending on subject matter. I have seen tremendous footage shot with the Mavic and posted on youtube, especially when the focus is not on foliage exclusively. I think that expectations are set too high for some buyers. For this price, and this technology, I think it's a steal. If I was getting paid for my work, I'd probably go for the Inspire, but keep the Mavic for hard to get to places!

When edited, it looks good to me. I color correct and then upscale to 60fps in post and it looks pretty good. In post, the moire is gone for the most part. I don't keep any fast moving pans, only stable footage. My use of the video is different than yours I'm sure. Since you get paid for your work, I can understand how it could be unacceptable, depending on subject matter. I have seen tremendous footage shot with the Mavic and posted on youtube, especially when the focus is not on foliage exclusively. I think that expectations are set too high for some buyers. For this price, and this technology, I think it's a steal. If I was getting paid for my work, I'd probably go for the Inspire, but keep the Mavic for hard to get to places!

Mind posting some of your edited work? I also think you may have me confused with someone else on this thread, I am purely an enthusiast and do not get paid for anything. I do some editing myself but my skills are lacking as I'm still very new to editing in general. I never tried upscaling to 60fps but I do some basic color correction and I fly with the same settings you do, normally.

Reactions: jointeffort
I don't have any upscaled vids on hand as I was experimenting with settings and the videos I shot were for test purposes only. I cleared space on my hard drive a couple days ago and saved only 1080p stuff I wanted to share with my family via email. I will be shooting stuff this next weekend and could possibly have stuff ready soon. My skills aren't great either, but I have been teaching myself Davinci Resolve and I am getting better!

Reactions: Merlin23
Just to be clear, those of you with terribly "watercolor-esque" video, you are not recording with a higher frame rate than 30fps are you? I tested 1080p and 720p with fps over 30, and they are definitely garbage. My 2.7k and 4k video looks pretty good though.
It was recorded in 4K.

I can post a short vid. I hope I am uploading this correctly.
Settings are: UHD, 30fps, Cloudy, Cinelike, -1,-1,-1.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85571036/vids/Unedited.mov

Sorry for the clip selection. Initial movement is radical but only my fourth or fifth flight with the Mavic. Horizon correction made since.
I'm seeing the same watercolour effect in your clip the trees in the bottom of the picture don't look right to me.

Reactions: Discobob
Agreed, can all the people who are saying they are getting good quality stills and video please actually post some download links to the unedited footage and unedited raw files so that those of us with issues (or at least think we have issues) can actually compare against those that think their Mavics are producing good quality output.

And also post your capture settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here is a video I took last week - only my 2nd flight with my new Mavic, so I kept everything Auto for video settings. 1080p / 60FPS, no filter, at about 30 mins before sunset. I think the quality is amazing.
(Make sure you select HD from the Youtube settings while watching (1080p-60). I'll upload to dropbox when I get home.)

Sucks you guys are having quality issues. I have no issues at all with mine.

-Atomicbear

EDIT: Watch it from the Youtube website directly - I just watched it from here, and it appears very choppy. When I watch from the Youtube channel directly, it's smooth as butter

Reactions: jointeffort
Here is a video I took last week - only my 2nd flight with my new Mavic, so I kept everything Auto for video settings. 1080p / 60FPS, no filter, at about 30 mins before sunset. I think the quality is amazing.
(Make sure you select HD from the Youtube settings while watching (1080p-60). I'll upload to dropbox when I get home.)

Sucks you guys are having quality issues. I have no issues at all with mine.

-Atomicbear

EDIT: Watch it from the Youtube website directly - I just watched it from here, and it appears very choppy. When I watch from the Youtube channel directly, it's smooth as butter
Sorry to say this but I see it on your video. 2.05mins in, look at the buildings. My eyes are so used to spotting it now but someone else might not be able to spot it at first. I might not the best person to comment as I sell my stuff and need the best of the best, so bear that in mind.

Reactions: COffe
I had the problem. I told to dji. They approve and sent me a ticket number for DHL return. I sent it (to Netherland as I'm in France) they received it and checked and just sent me an email that they will send me a new unit soon.
Can't wait to get it and just pray to get a good unit without any malfunctions.

Good luck to all those in same case.
But don't wait. Send it back to dji support to get a new one.
Fredo

Sent from my A0001 using MavicPilots mobile app

Nice scenery! There is a lot of moire going on here and I feel that has alot to do with the amount of light. Also shooting in 60fps with the Mavic, which is a known issue. And since the op sees terrific vid quality here, subjectivity certainly comes into play. I wish I knew what amount of light and what subject matter can bring out the best that this camera can do.

I had the problem. I told to dji. They approve and sent me a ticket number for DHL return. I sent it (to Netherland as I'm in France) they received it and checked and just sent me an email that they will send me a new unit soon.

Dji has told me to return it to, just waiting for the return ticket. My pics looks like the one attached (a 100% crop). Look at the tall grass.

Please update us as soon as you get yours back so we know if it is better!

Have not got DJI to confirm that it is bad, they only answer that I should return it.

Could someone upload an untoched pic, preferable with trees, that they think looks good?

DJI_0062.jpg

Dji has told me to return it to, just waiting for the return ticket. My pics looks like the one attached (a 100% crop). Look at the tall grass.

Please update us as soon as you get yours back so we know if it is better!

Have not got DJI to confirm that it is bad, they only answer that I should return it.

Could someone upload an untoched pic, preferable with trees, that they think looks good?

View attachment 4967

How do these look?

JPGs right off the camera.

Dropbox - Tuesday, Jan 24

It's so hard to judge the pics when we don't know camera settings, especially ISO and shutter, and if there is movement of the grass/trees due to wind, etc. the trees and grass picture look out of focus throughout the pic. The overhead shot looks ok, but magnified, there is moire in the trees. JPEG resolution is what it is. Best pics in raw for sure, but even those aren't as good as most dslr's (and they're not really supposed to be).

Mind posting some of your edited work? I also think you may have me confused with someone else on this thread, I am purely an enthusiast and do not get paid for anything. I do some editing myself but my skills are lacking as I'm still very new to editing in general. I never tried upscaling to 60fps but I do some basic color correction and I fly with the same settings you do, normally.

I did a quick flight at lunchtime today. It was 25 degrees F, and overcast. The footage is not scenic or pretty by any stretch. Everything is very flat looking outside today. With that in mind, I shot this in UHD, 30fps, Cloudy, Cinelike, -1.-1,-1. ND4 filter, 1/240 shutter speed. I should have used an ND8 at least. I tried to capture grass and bare tree branches. In post, I did slight color correction and downscaled to 1080p, and 20Mbs, but doubled frame rate to 60fps.
I still believe that more naturally vibrant scenes are captured better and render better as well.

EDIT: initially posted video with incorrect frame rate. Correct video is here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85571036/vids/Untitled.graded.mov

Last edited:
correct video reposted above.
This looks pretty good to me. It's easy to pick out imperfections, but I am generally pleased. I can see how this wouldn't work for professional use though.

How do these look?

JPGs right off the camera.

Dropbox - Tuesday, Jan 24

I think they look better than mine but still some oil painting effect.

It's so hard to judge the pics when we don't know camera settings, especially ISO and shutter, and if there is movement of the grass/trees due to wind, etc. the trees and grass picture look out of focus throughout the pic. The overhead shot looks ok, but magnified, there is moire in the trees. JPEG resolution is what it is. Best pics in raw for sure, but even those aren't as good as most dslr's (and they're not really supposed to be).

All settings default, just reset the settings. Auto, Iso 100, 1/231. Focused on the grass below the middle of the crop. Far distance so should have most in focus.

Also first thought it was jpeg compression but raw looks the same. I have problems deciding if it should be like this or if it is faulty. Dji just tells me to send it back, do not answer any questions if they think it looks bad etc.

I can not tell if it is faulty or not?

I think they look better than mine but still some oil painting effect.

All settings default, just reset the settings. Auto, Iso 100, 1/231. Focused on the grass below the middle of the crop. Far distance so should have most in focus.

Also first thought it was jpeg compression but raw looks the same. I have problems deciding if it should be like this or if it is faulty. Dji just tells me to send it back, do not answer any questions if they think it looks bad etc.

I can not tell if it is faulty or not?
As is, it doesn't look right to me. If all of you're other pictures are like this, I'd send it back, it couldn't hurt. I would first take a bunch of other photos, different subject matter also, before deciding though.

As is, it doesn't look right to me. If all of you're other pictures are like this, I'd send it back, it couldn't hurt. I would first take a bunch of other photos, different subject matter also, before deciding though.
I dont see any watercolor effect in the vid. When I watch it on my crappy monitor at work, it doesn't look good. On my HD/4k display at home, it is very good. Playback should have zero motion stutter and constant focus. If your getting the clean picture, where in the vid is the watercolor effect that you see? I see motion blur in the brick building, and some oversharpening of some of the grass.

For those that asked, this guy beat me to it doing a great job of explaining what the higher frame rates look like (at 4:22 he starts talking about them).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead