DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does RTH always go UP to the set height first?

jweaver

Reactions
During the probem I had with my first flight, my Mini did a forced RTH.. it was only 10-20 away from home, but it didnt go UP to the pre-set height., it jsut moved to Home and landed?

Is this expected? Does RTH always start at the height set? Or will it just go home if its within a certain distance?

My assumption is that because its close, it doesnt' bother going up first.. But is this the case?

Jon

Reactions: Droniac
During the probem I had with my first flight, my Mini did a forced RTH.. it was only 10-20 away from home, but it didnt go UP to the pre-set height., it jsut moved to Home and landed?

Is this expected? Does RTH always start at the height set? Or will it just go home if its within a certain distance?

My assumption is that because its close, it doesnt' bother going up first.. But is this the case?

Jon
That is correct, at least with my MA2.. Read your manual, it will explain it all.

I found a DJI FAQ which says that if its 3 to 20m away from home, it just goes to 2.5m but says “ONLY SPARK”, so i dont know if this applies to the Mini.. I will study the manual to see if it sheds some light on this.

Jon
Read the manual it explains it in great detail, YOU need to fully understand the various RTH scenarios or you may end up with a crash as there are no forward vision sensors.

Read the manual it explains it in great detail, YOU need to fully understand the various RTH scenarios or you may end up with a crash as there are no forward vision sensors.
To be honest, I thoght I had, and undestood RTH.. I had watched a LOT of videos about it too so I was pretty clear on how it worked.

And now I am even more confused as the manual says "If the aircraft is less then 20m from the Home point when RTH begins, it will hover in place and not return to home"

And this is NOT what happened.. The Mini was way closer than 20m, and it landed!

Accoridng to the FAQ I found, the "Spark" worked more like what I saw, ie between 3 and 20m out it would return to hoem at 2.5mm.. But the Mini2 docs say that it will NOT RTH when clsoer than 20m...

Am I missing something?

RTH behaviour is one thing I suggest you go out to a wide open field and work your way through it.
If it's your 'first' things are easy to misunderstand especially the way some things are worded. When you encounter an unexpected behaviour re-read the manual.
It is better to encounter an unexpected behaviour for the first time during practice/experimentation than in real life when/where it could cost you the drone or worse.

Reactions: Droniac and Dbez1
Again I fly a MA2 not the mini 2 but they share the same controller but I dont know if all the controls are the same but with mine I can make it do different things.. for instance when flying through the woods , under the canopy I set my RTH to just hover, I don't know if you can do the same.

I'm not sure that you can change anything except RTH height.

I'm afraid you are thinking of loss of signal settings where you can choose hover, land, or RTH.

I'm afraid you are thinking of loss of signal settings where you can choose hover, land, or RTH.
Yes, I believe you are correct.

I think you are right - pressing the RTH home button only has two options:

1. Pause flight and hover at current position.
2. Ascend to the pre-set RTH height and return to last known home point.

There are plenty of videos about RTH on YouTube.

Hi jweaver.
Here‘s what the manual for the mini1 states. See attachment.

Attachments

• 934F0EC3-E025-497F-B9F2-0B737DCF0A80.jpeg
    934F0EC3-E025-497F-B9F2-0B737DCF0A80.jpeg
    566.3 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: timmers
Hi jweaver.
Here‘s what the manual for the mini1 states. See attachment.
I got that.. Its exactly what I posted above.. within 20m it doesn't land.. But thast not what I saw yesturday.. I had a transmission disconnected.. and it went into RTH/Autoland when it was only 10-20ft from home.

So I can't really explain this.. So need to go out and do a ton more tests I think.

I got that.. Its exactly what I posted above.. within 20m it doesn't land.. But thast not what I saw yesturday.. I had a transmission disconnected.. and it went into RTH/Autoland when it was only 10-20ft from home.

So I can't really explain this.. So need to go out and do a ton more tests I think.
Read 4.b of the attachment. It states that if within 20 m it will land immediately. So then it worked as you’ve described.

Read 4.b of the attachment. It states that if within 20 m it will land immediately. So then it worked as you’ve described.
Sorry. I mis-read that.. Its DIFFERENT to the Mini2 manual..

They just states that if the aircraft is less than 20m from home it will hover and NOT return... So my functionaltiy does appear to be the same as desctribed in the Mini1 docs.. But thats not how the Mini2 is documented to work!

It is very important to find out why the drone trigger the RTH and I would try to get it out of RTH then fly it home yourself.

It is good time to practice this every time the drone does it. Every situation is going to different unless you are flying in the same area.

It is much better for you to be in control of the flight.

Hi again jweaver. I just had a look at the manual for the mini2. I see that in item #3 (attached) there is a change depending on which version of firmware you are running.

Attachments

• BA30B0A7-3EB2-406A-9E4B-1E54390B010B.jpeg
    BA30B0A7-3EB2-406A-9E4B-1E54390B010B.jpeg
    581.2 KB · Views: 19
Hi again jweaver. I just had a look at the manual for the mini2. I see that in item #3 (attached) there is a change depending on which version of firmware you are running.
Is that not exactly what I said? In the Mini2 manual it says that if the aircraft is less than 20m it will hover and NOT return home..

Where as what I observed was that its Autolanded, even though it was only 20 ft from home..

Comparing the 2 manuals you sent, it seems the Mini1 and Mini2 RTH functionatliy is slightly different.. But what i saw was more like teh Mini1 than the Mini2..

Jon

It is very important to find out why the drone trigger the RTH and I would try to get it out of RTH then fly it home yourself.

It is good time to practice this every time the drone does it. Every situation is going to different unless you are flying in the same area.

It is much better for you to be in control of the flight.
In my case I know why it did the RTH.. My Transmitter and Aircraft lost connection forcing the RTH... But as I was so low/close, I didn't have time to stop it.

Is that not exactly what I said? In the Mini2 manual it says that if the aircraft is less than 20m it will hover and NOT return home..

Where as what I observed was that its Autolanded, even though it was only 20 ft from home..

Comparing the 2 manuals you sent, it seems the Mini1 and Mini2 RTH functionatliy is slightly different.. But what i saw was more like teh Mini1 than the Mini2..

Jon
Sorry to be a pest Jon. If I’m reading it properly, if you are running any firmware version other than v1.1.0.0 then it will autoland and not hover if less than 20m from the home point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv