DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does the air have any radar and can detect airplanes ?

At what point would it normally be 200 feet high eventually at some point a landing plane has to be at that height . It’s what the app said the height was.

An airliner would typically be at 200 feet AGL less than one mile from the approach end of the runway.

An airliner would typically be at 200 feet AGL less than one mile from the approach end of the runway.

Yes, and that would be a NFZ on any decent local app put out by the relevant air authority.
I understand not all countries have such a map like the US, UK, Australia, and most developed countries.

So too, not all countries mandate ADS-B in anything other than larger commercial manned / pax aircraft.
It's like that in Australia, and unlikely to change anytime in the foreseeable future for the small lower flying aircraft relevant to drone flight.

It would be nice to see that blip on the map though, but it would need to be scaled out fairly large scale to see well out, say at least 5 - 10 km.

That's not radar. It's similar to the military Friend or Foe system that works on radio transmissions. It says I'm here heading there, this is a US military aircraft, who are you. If the other aircraft doesn't respond with the proper code then the pilot takes the required action, basically kill, evade etc. For civilian aircraft I believe they leave out the kill option. Seriously though it would basically inform the drone if it were in its flight path & to clear the way.
Since it's not radar that system alone would allow you to fly into a wall. Radar doesn't distinguish between friend or foe, but picks up birds, aircraft or pretty much any that will reflect a radar transmission.
This one has the feature that the op is looking for. M200v2 series View attachment 80790

That's not radar. It's similar to the military Friend or Foe system that works on radio transmissions. It says I'm here heading there, this is a US military aircraft, who are you. If the other aircraft doesn't respond with the proper code then the pilot takes the required action, basically kill, evade etc. For civilian aircraft I believe they leave out the kill option. Seriously though it would basically inform the drone if it were in its flight path & to clear the way.
Since it's not radar that system alone would allow you to fly into a wall. Radar doesn't distinguish between friend or foe, but picks up birds, aircraft or pretty much any that will reflect a radar transmission.
The op asked “radar or something”.
The DJI M200 series has “something”

Real time deconfliction applications are currently being tested by the FAA but are a long way from general availability. Big players like Google, Harris, Boeing and Amazon are investing heavily in UTM systems that will be necessary for this to become a reality.

Reactions: VortexSpin
I was wondering mavic air does apk warn "strong aircraft interference"
But since it vanishes if you go up or down, then maybe the interfere is impinging radiated pings from faraway aircraft? Even far out at sea these warns pester. But where is the impinging radiated radar energies sourced to?
Or mavic air pesters bogus warns "strong aircraft interference"? nite flights has no interfere. So the warns must be real?

I was wondering mavic air does apk warn "strong aircraft interference"
But since it vanishes if you go up or down, then maybe the interfere is impinging radiated pings from faraway aircraft? Even far out at sea these warns pester. But where is the impinging radiated radar energies sourced to?
Or mavic air pesters bogus warns "strong aircraft interference"? nite flights has no interfere. So the warns must be real?
Does the message really say aircraft interference?
The interference isn't coming from aircraft .. even if it was there would be no way to tell it was.
It's just radio interference coming from radio and electrical activity in the general area.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Although Flightradar24 is very interesting, it isn't much practical use for drone flying.
Flightradar gives a false sense of safety without really doing what you hope it does.

I totally agree about the false sense of security, and I'm a big fan of Flightradar24 for other purposes. As a drone pilot, your main interest is the traffic at or below 400 ft AGL, and at that altitude there are usually many obstructions to line of sight (LoS). Even if everyone has ADS-B, you need a clear LoS between the transmitting and receiving aircraft for it to work.

There are FAA regulations establishing minimum altitudes, though there are exceptions, especially with helicopters. Also keep in mind that pilots of all manned aircraft usually want to stay at a reasonably high altitude (NOT 500 ft), unless they are taking off or landing, unless there's a good reason be that low. If they lose power, the lower they are, the fewer their options for safely landing.

If you find that there is a lot of low altitude traffic at a given location, you may want to take your flying elsewhere.

Reactions: Meta4
Flightradar24 is an app that all airplanes world wide will show if the transponder is on. Check it out if it suits your question.
Flightradar has a time lag for security, so it’s really no use for actual position identification.
The only “radar” on a plane is for weather. Location is provided via ADSB, which is a data signal picked up by similarly equipped aircraft.

Reactions: VortexSpin
At what point would it normally be 200 feet high eventually at some point a landing plane has to be at that height . It’s what the app said the height was.
Less than a mile from the TDZ on short final. Absolutely no way a commercial aircraft was at 200ft when it was 10 miles from the airport. The app was wrong - so along with the security time lag, you now have two reasons not to rely on it.

Hey. Does the mavic air has any radar feature or something where it could show me a warning that a plane is nearby ?
I am living in a village and like 30 minutes away from here, there is a military airport. According GEO Zones i am still able to fly but not higher than 120 meters (thats what the app tells me).
I dont think its legit to fly over 100 meters high anyways in germany, so i dont know why it shows 120m instead 100m.

Anyways. I went out just now in a bigger park and started flying. Like all 3 minutes i saw a plane flying.. i was really scared. In the last minutes when i wanted to fly back, i was at 90 meters high and HOLY, there was a plane like 20-50 meters above my drone. It almost hit my drone but it was like 100 meters far but the height of the plane was almost like my drone... i started lowering the heights of my drone and below my drone there was a huge TREE but i had no choice... the plane was coming closer and i knew it will hit my drone if i wont take this risk and fly lower even if i would crash in the tree.
I didn't know if i can decrease my drones altitude fast enough. I had like 10% battery left and i turned on sports mode (i had to really). I was really lucky. I made it. I flew forward (to the starting point) and at same time i lowered heights so i didn't hit the tree and the plane could pass.

This example is really why i ask for a radar.Does a radar exist ? or any app that shows really ALL planes in my surrounding and no ghost planes ? haha
No radar on the Air. BUT... the sensors will detect obstacles... UNLESS they are above it. No topside sensors (which it should have for flying within a forest, for example.) best to use caution.

No radar on the Air. BUT... the sensors will detect obstacles... UNLESS they are above it. No topside sensors (which it should have for flying within a forest, for example.) best to use caution.
?
By the time the sensors detect the “obstacle” the collision with the plane will already have taken place...

Reactions: Thomas B
I agree manned aircraft can appear closer than they really are. Almost a year ago I was flying my M2 at a nearby beach. I was flying along the shore at about 300ft, way away from airports and controlled airspace, even from the regional airport near me. A helicopter comes flying by. I couldn't accurately determine its altitude or distance from shore. I was concerned that if I decended to avoid him, I might actually get in his way but descended at least 100 ft. Based on FPV, I found he was between 200-300 AGL, but a good distance from shore and from me and above my final altitude.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d