DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does your Android tablet work?

For the record, I purchased a low cost tablet because, well, it was low cost and advertised quad core. Well, it is absolutely horrible. At best it's lag was half a second or so...At worst it was frozen. So back to the drawing board. I do NOT recommend the Asus ZenPad C 7inch. Now I think I will find a niece to give it to.

Note..I am no expert on judging what is good or not....As should be apparent right now. So what specs should I be looking for in an Android Tablet?

Here is the stats on this one.
ASUS ZenPad Z170C-A1-BK 7" IPS WSVGA (1024x600), Intel Atom x3-C3200 (1.2GHz) Quad Core,
64-bit,
1GB DDR3 ,
16GB eMMC,
Android 5.0 (Lollipop) I then upgraded to latest.

Update. Screen is plenty bright and no bad habits noted. This is seriously a heck of a dedicated Android based controller for the money. Tomorrow I will fly it a ton and will report any issues

Flying a Mavic Pro with an Acer Iconia One 7" tablet running latest Android OS

Do you have any pictures of it ? Like on with go app running? I'm thinking of the same as I got a phone call and a text message today while flying with my iPhone 6splus. Scary.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Rockin.... your specs look pretty much identical to my Acer Iconia One 7 tablet except my processor is different. Mine is super smooth with no issues. Make sure you are not running a bunch of stuff in the background.

Rockin.... your specs look pretty much identical to my Acer Iconia One 7 tablet except my processor is different. Mine is super smooth with no issues. Make sure you are not running a bunch of stuff in the background.
Thanks Prop Pilot. Brand new unit. Spent a couple hours charging it up, setting it up removing a few apps. Turning off a bunch of other auto start things and closing all tabs except for Go4. Let me ask you this..Are you running your side plug, or the larger USB plug on the bottom of the controller? I read in another thread that DJI says this is only for Apple, though others report using it just fine for droids.

Galaxy tab so would the the perfect ta let for flying in every way if it weren't for this **** USB connection issue with Dji and litchi. Story of my life.

Sent from my SM-T713 using MavicPilots mobile app

Update. Screen is plenty bright and no bad habits noted. This is seriously a heck of a dedicated Android based controller for the money. Tomorrow I will fly it a ton and will report any issues

Flying a Mavic Pro with an Acer Iconia One 7" tablet running latest Android OS

Hi PropPilot!

Are you talking about this one here?:
Tablets | View All Our Tablets | Acer Solutions

if so, how can you run latest Android OS (7.0 aka Nougat) on this please? It's supposed to run on android 4.4 or around!

Also, is there a video somewhere where one could see you fly the Mavic with this tablet and see the flight experience you have with it, please?
I'm very much interested in this tablet if you say it's great flying a Mavic Pro, but I find it difficult to understand how this one could versus others, even more powerfull (or equivalent), achieve a "no lag, no deconnection" with the video stream for instance.

Thanks in advance, this is very important for sure!

My 2013 Nexus 7 didn't work well at all. I just purchased a refurbish iPad Mini 4 wifi from Apple.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
does anyone know if my HTC One X9 could work, or am I wasting my time? bought reverse usb cable but no impact so far.
thanks for any feedback

Reactions: woodmnctry
Hi PropPilot!

Are you talking about this one here?:
Tablets | View All Our Tablets | Acer Solutions

if so, how can you run latest Android OS (7.0 aka Nougat) on this please? It's supposed to run on android 4.4 or around!

Also, is there a video somewhere where one could see you fly the Mavic with this tablet and see the flight experience you have with it, please?
I'm very much interested in this tablet if you say it's great flying a Mavic Pro, but I find it difficult to understand how this one could versus others, even more powerfull (or equivalent), achieve a "no lag, no deconnection" with the video stream for instance.

Thanks in advance, this is very important for sure!

Hi Geko, no not that one. I cannot believe how many different variants they have for the Iconia One and not sure what would or would not work. There is another poster here who bought another variant off Amazon that works.

This is the one I got

Canada Computers & Electronics | Laptops, Notebooks, Tablet | Acer Iconia One 7 B1-770-K9BC(Refurbished) Tablet NT.LBRAA.002 | 7" WSVGA (1024 x 600) MediaTek MT8127 Quad-core 1.30 GHz 1GB, 16GB SSD | Bluetooth 4.0 Android

The other poster on the board bought this one and told me it was working flawlessly.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Iconia-...1484855680&sr=1-12&keywords=Acer+Iconia+One+7

One of the only differences I see in the variants is the processor. Mine has a Media Tek processor. No idea about Nougat and I know very little about Android devices as this was my first and only for the Mavic. I am running 5.1 Lolipop. I use an app on the Acer that records the screen so you see the live video downlink and the telemetry. I could post that on dropbox and send you a link if you PM me.

I always have an opinion (right or wrong) about things and as I learn more about the Android world vs IOS I think the issues are the same as seen in the Windows vs Apple world. The IOS world has predictable hardware and I believe the code is tighter because it only runs on one platform (with variants of course ie different models of iMAC). In the Android world like the Windows world, the code has to work across multiple variants of multiple platforms. I can only guess that the Android version of Go 4 cannot code around everything it will run on optimally so the app seems to struggle on some tablets.

Here is a comment I will make. I think a bit of stutter or very minor lag on the tablet is fine. It is not happening on the video being recorded by the Mavic. In my case, there is zero HOWEVER when I run the 'screen recorder' app mentioned earlier, I can get a bit of stutter now and then because I think the little tablet is running its ^&LLs off but it is fine. Only when both the Go 4 and the recorder are running.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: The Flying Geko
humm.. Costco has the acer iconia one 7 for 97.99. I wonder if its the same unit. Costco has amazing return policy. could always try it out.

Hi Geko, no not that one. I cannot believe how many different variants they have for the Iconia One and not sure what would or would not work. There is another poster here who bought another variant off Amazon that works.

This is the one I got

Canada Computers & Electronics | Laptops, Notebooks, Tablet | Acer Iconia One 7 B1-770-K9BC(Refurbished) Tablet NT.LBRAA.002 | 7" WSVGA (1024 x 600) MediaTek MT8127 Quad-core 1.30 GHz 1GB, 16GB SSD | Bluetooth 4.0 Android

The other poster on the board bought this one and told me it was working flawlessly.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Iconia-...1484855680&sr=1-12&keywords=Acer+Iconia+One+7

One of the only differences I see in the variants is the processor. Mine has a Media Tek processor. No idea about Nougat and I know very little about Android devices as this was my first and only for the Mavic. I am running 5.1 Lolipop. I use an app on the Acer that records the screen so you see the live video downlink and the telemetry. I could post that on dropbox and send you a link if you PM me.

I always have an opinion (right or wrong) about things and as I learn more about the Android world vs IOS I think the issues are the same as seen in the Windows vs Apple world. The IOS world has predictable hardware and I believe the code is tighter because it only runs on one platform (with variants of course ie different models of iMAC). In the Android world like the Windows world, the code has to work across multiple variants of multiple platforms. I can only guess that the Android version of Go 4 cannot code around everything it will run on optimally so the app seems to struggle on some tablets.

Here is a comment I will make. I think a bit of stutter or very minor lag on the tablet is fine. It is not happening on the video being recorded by the Mavic. In my case, there is zero HOWEVER when I run the 'screen recorder' app mentioned earlier, I can get a bit of stutter now and then because I think the little tablet is running its ^&LLs off but it is fine. Only when both the Go 4 and the recorder are running.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, it helps indeed!

It's few days now that I'm trying to debug why this DJI GO app (4 or previous) works alright here, and not there. I'm pretty sure it's the graphic chipset that makes the different, between this phone or that phone (or tablet).
I have a LG G3 wich is of about the same power as the Xperia Z3 for instance.
But on the LG, it's totally useless, I can't use it at all (and I'm pretty mad about that indeed) with my very new Mavic when I read that the Z3 is in the "okay list" from DJI.
The graphic chipset is different indeed.

Nougat being v 7.0 of Android OS, it's not relevant I guess since plenty of phones/tablets working with the Mavic are under Lollypop (5.01) as is my LG G3.

So anyway, I just ordered the Nvidia Shield K1 to use with my baby. I hope everything I've read about it being perfect with the Mavic is true. Wait & see then! :)

The Canada computers one is a refurb. Just got a second for my brother in law and it is flawless.

For Costco I would go for it

Not exactly sure what you're asking. I don't believe there is a Nexus 8" to compare so if you want an 8" you have to do some research on the various brands. If you're strictly asking about size then for me I bought the 7" because my Nvidia K1 would not fit into the controller grips.

The Nvidia K1 doesnt fit? That sucks I was just about to order it for my Mavic and sell my ipad air 2 that I bought for my phantom 3. I could have sworn I saw a video of someone with their nviida shield tablet fitting in the controller. Do you have a case on it? Maybe I will buy a ipad mini 2 instead for cheap if i can find one.

So i picked up the Acer Iconia One 7" at costco for 97.99 and gave it a go today.. so far seems to work great. I checked canadacomputers for the refurbished model and they werent showing any in London so went with the NIB from Costco.
Great tip prop pilot:) I will dedicate it to the mavic only.
I was also impressed today as there was quite a wind by the lake and darn cold too. I sat in my truck and flew the mavic in the warmth, mavey didnt complain one bit aside from wind caution warnings popping up. I didnt know if the steel truck would effect the signal but no issues.

Way to go MIG. Pretty cheap dedicated tablet for < $ 100 bucks. Check out another posting I made to modify the grip (non-destructively) to make it fit better (less tight as it is a bit FAT)

Way to go MIG. Pretty cheap dedicated tablet for < $ 100 bucks. Check out another posting I made to modify the grip (non-destructively) to make it fit better (less tight as it is a bit FAT)
Ok ya i checked it out.. good idea.. today unfortunately i only had time to fly one battery but no hiccups so far.. one thing I noticed on the acer iconic screen my map is on the lower right corner but on my Samsung s7 it was on the lower left corner.. do you know if it can be moved from right to left corner? I scrolled the menus quickly but couldn't find that option but I may have missed it.
I find it covers my menus over on the right.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using MavicPilots mobile app

There are a few here using the Acer Iconia One (Media Tek CPU seems to be the one to get as there are many models) with no issues. I have 77 flights on mine and only had tablet disconnects once when a bunch of curious onlookers were over my shoulder and I think it was either interference from their devices or it was super cold out and could have been that. Since then, solid.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78