DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dome rule.

Jaycee

Reactions
Hi
I’m new here and to drones and keen to stay legal.
I understand the rules about no closer than 50m to people etc b7nhave seen reference to the ‘dome rule’ which suggests some flexibility re flying near buildings or rai,ways.
Can someone point me to an explanation of the dome rule?
Thanks

Hi
I understand the rules about no closer than 50m to people etc b7nhave seen reference to the ‘dome rule’ which suggests some flexibility re flying near buildings or rai,ways.
Thanks
What country are you in?

Hi
Thanks
Indeed, the vexed question of the 'Dome Rule'. My understanding of it is this: Normally you would not be able to fly closer than 50 metres from any vehicle, vessel or structure. But you can use the dome rule to fly closer than 50 metres but you have to increase your altitude accordingly. So, if your flew within 40 metres, you'd have to increase your altitude 60 metres and 30 metres you'd have to be flying at 70 metres and so on. I'm not sure if this is an accurate interpretation of the dome rule or not? But that's how I understand it. I'm sure there are others on this forum that may have a better understanding of it than myself..... I could be completely wrong! I'm willing to be educated though.....

For me its bed time......
So here is some nice bed time reading!!!!
Thanks for that. I think that article throws up more questions than answers though. Far from clarifying the rule, it makes it even more difficult to understand. If I'm reading it correctly, you can perfectly legally fly right above a vehicle, vessel or structure, not under your control as long as you are at an altitude of more than 50 metres? But, you could still fall foul of article 166-2 of the Air Navigation Order in the fact that you (as the pilot) have to determine if the flight can be conducted safely. This is huge grey area to consider and would be open to massive interpretation. I would say, flying directly above anything that is not under the pilots control is always going to carry a certain degree of risk, however small that risk may be. I suppose the decision any of us would have to make, is how can we mitigate any risk that may arise. Of course the ultimate way to mitigate the risk of flying directly above anything not under the pilots control, would be not to fly directly above it?! Stay 5 or 10 metres off being right above, so mitigating the risk. Interpretation is everything........!

Hi and thanks for your replies. Apologies for late reply here, but I've been out with the drone...lovely day here in London, UK, which is where I'm based.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143