DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don’t fly it indoors !

I thought I'd be clever and impress one of my photographer friends with my Mavic Air skills and flew inside.
At the time I was very much a novice and it left a number of deep cuts in the wall of our newly renovated home.
I tried to cover up the damage before my wife arrived home and then sort of forgot about the incident until she noticed a few days later.
I now have a m2p and a permanent ban from internal home flights.

Get the propeller guards ... they come in the Fly More Combo or you can probably buy them separately - the Mini will just bounce off of objects and not crash
Yeah got them. I was thinking "it'll be ok"..............clearly it wasn't.

I thought I'd be clever and impress one of my photographer friends with my Mavic Air skills and flew inside.
At the time I was very much a novice and it left a number of deep cuts in the wall of our newly renovated home.
I tried to cover up the damage before my wife arrived home and then sort of forgot about the incident until she noticed a few days later.
I now have a m2p and a permanent ban from internal home flights.
...and I thought GEO was bad! ;)
"But, Honey, DJI says it is safe to fly!"

Always remember, without GPS, it can't stop by itself. You have to do it manually. It happens both indoors and Outdoors in Atti mode.

If you fly indoors, make sure the area is as bright as possible so that the "visual positioning system" can work, once aloft change the flight mode into "CineSmooth" it's slower and will make the drone easier to fly.
You probably flew it in a dark room
I'm 100% with you on this one, if flying indoors make sure is bright enough for the VPS to work.

The first flight I had crashed because I had the lights set to the same as me dim.

Reactions: RodPad and Arnu69
spackle in a tube is your friend in need ..one could notice the damage but it's not so obvious that it's caused by a drone..I hardly notice the any of the marks anymore;)

Hey there @Biggles54 , is that the roulettes on your profile pic? What’s your link to them if you don’t mind me asking?
38027C41-92EC-4064-B459-B2F588858F42.jpeg

Doesn’t this apply to any Mavic? I’ve been tempted myself but have abstained due to reports like this.
There are individual sections for pretty much every Mavic - Air, Pro, 2 ete etc.
Othetwise, might as well scrap all the other sections and post everything in one big section called 'Grneral Discussion's.

Oh wait ..... that's what most people do anyway ! :rolleyes: ??

When you get your mavic mini,Don’t fly it indoors. All the advice I been getting and YouTube clips suggest don’t fly it indoors. So I got a mavic mini and for the first 2 weeks I didn’t fly it indoors. Weather has been terrible here in London with 70 mph winds and rain and for a whole week now I ain’t been able to fly. So I thought why don’t I have a little fly indoors ? I thought no, you shouldn’t really fly it indoors. Oh what’s the harm? So I flew it indoors. It crashed into the refrigerator almost immediately and hit the hard tiled surface with a painful sounding smash!!! Totally my fault, luckily no damage occurred and all I had to do was recalibrate. I won’t be flying it indoors again.

Bro, flying indoors takes lots of practice. My hobby before the Mavic Mini was flying 3D micro helicopters, indoors! So I've also crashed many times before, but that was long long ago! Nowadays I fly my Mavic Mini indoors all the time when the weather is Not Good to Fly on UAV Forecast, which has been most of the time. I got my Mini for Christmas and I've been flying it every single day since then Christmas until now, middle of February! I have not crashed my Mini even once, I haven't even come close to crashing it!

I still fly indoors everyday, if you want I can actually make a recording with the Mini of me flying indoors and show you what I mean! There is quite enough space to fly in my mini pent-house apartment! You just have to take is slow and easy, no crazy movements. Also if you have no experience flying in ATTI mode, then switch on as much lights in the room as you can, the more light on the floor that the mini can use to make out what's below it the more stable the lil fella will be! The bottom 2 sensors need quite a lot of light to work properly. Indoors there is no GPS probably, combine that with not enough light and the Mini will go in ATTI mode - where it will constantly need your input on the sticks, making tiny corrections just to keep it in one place!

I love to fly my Mini indoors - its just super awesome, but usually when I get to 60% from 100% at the start - the battery is just above 40C' and I'm at about just over 10 minutes into the flight - so I land the Mini wait for the battery to cool off as I have only one battery and I really wanna look after it as much as I can. This is also why I fly my drone every day, so that the battery get used and doesn't just stay charged. I will use storage voltage if I plan to not fly for a week or longer, but else I fly every day and I love it!

But flying indoors is my specialty, I love flying indoors and I do it every single day! Its very nice and safe, for me the safest flight I can have is an indoors flight - for sure! The drone will always be safe this way, can't lose it. If you fly it every day and you get used to ATTI mode then you will love to fly indoors! Flying indoors you just really gotta take it slow in the beginning. Just hover in the middle of the room first, and learn to do it till you're comfortable with hovering in one spot, then start to move around only. This is an expensive little machine so we have to respect it too much I think!

cool cool

PS: so I can make a video of me zipping indoors after work when I do my flights..

:)

Reactions: Arnu69
Flying indoors is pretty simple ... just don’t do anything quickly and make sure is going somewhere it shouldn’t take your fingers off the sticks instead of panicking trying to stop it....

exactly - I love to fly indoors sometimes even more than the outdoors flights! Flying my Mini indoors has been great fun, since Christmas I've been flying my Mavic Mini indoors and I haven't crashed it even one time, at all! You really have to be doing some intense stick movements in order to fly it into something, unless it went in ATTI mode and surprised the guy, by the time he could correct he already hears this loud PA-PA-PA-PA, TA-TA, TA-PA, PA-TA and the drone is on the floor half surviving but looking good..

cool cool

Bro, flying indoors takes lots of practice. My hobby before the Mavic Mini was flying 3D micro helicopters, indoors! So I've also crashed many times before, but that was long long ago! Nowadays I fly my Mavic Mini indoors all the time when the weather is Not Good to Fly on UAV Forecast, which has been most of the time. I got my Mini for Christmas and I've been flying it every single day since then Christmas until now, middle of February! I have not crashed my Mini even once, I haven't even come close to crashing it!

I still fly indoors everyday, if you want I can actually make a recording with the Mini of me flying indoors and show you what I mean! There is quite enough space to fly in my mini pent-house apartment! You just have to take is slow and easy, no crazy movements. Also if you have no experience flying in ATTI mode, then switch on as much lights in the room as you can, the more light on the floor that the mini can use to make out what's below it the more stable the lil fella will be! The bottom 2 sensors need quite a lot of light to work properly. Indoors there is no GPS probably, combine that with not enough light and the Mini will go in ATTI mode - where it will constantly need your input on the sticks, making tiny corrections just to keep it in one place!

I love to fly my Mini indoors - its just super awesome, but usually when I get to 60% from 100% at the start - the battery is just above 40C' and I'm at about just over 10 minutes into the flight - so I land the Mini wait for the battery to cool off as I have only one battery and I really wanna look after it as much as I can. This is also why I fly my drone every day, so that the battery get used and doesn't just stay charged. I will use storage voltage if I plan to not fly for a week or longer, but else I fly every day and I love it!

But flying indoors is my specialty, I love flying indoors and I do it every single day! Its very nice and safe, for me the safest flight I can have is an indoors flight - for sure! The drone will always be safe this way, can't lose it. If you fly it every day and you get used to ATTI mode then you will love to fly indoors! Flying indoors you just really gotta take it slow in the beginning. Just hover in the middle of the room first, and learn to do it till you're comfortable with hovering in one spot, then start to move around only. This is an expensive little machine so we have to respect it too much I think!

cool cool

PS: so I can make a video of me zipping indoors after work when I do my flights..

I got no excuses, I just flew from living room up the hallway and into the kitchen,spun her round ,hovered for a bit then hit left instead of forward. Though she only fell 5 ft it was an ugly sight to see. If I'm gonna smash it to bits I think I'd rather do it screaming along at 350ft into a mountain or lose it out to sea rather than hit a fridge lol!

Reactions: drummerrizz

cool cool

I agree, Its about skill. I fly all my DJI machines indoors from the Mini to the Phantom 4 Pro+,

I also fly Micro to 450 Size helis indoors.

guess it depends on how large the space is... been tracking this construction for a year now and the drone has been awesome. Turned off collision avoidance as it makes flight erratic when you get close to beams, etc... not suggesting this but it will work if you are careful.

When you get your mavic mini,Don’t fly it indoors. All the advice I been getting and YouTube clips suggest don’t fly it indoors. So I got a mavic mini and for the first 2 weeks I didn’t fly it indoors. Weather has been terrible here in London with 70 mph winds and rain and for a whole week now I ain’t been able to fly. So I thought why don’t I have a little fly indoors ? I thought no, you shouldn’t really fly it indoors. Oh what’s the harm? So I flew it indoors. It crashed into the refrigerator almost immediately and hit the hard tiled surface with a painful sounding smash!!! Totally my fault, luckily no damage occurred and all I had to do was recalibrate. I won’t be flying it indoors again.
30008F65-99BC-44E5-96A0-16C56EB33237.jpeg

I learnt the hard way too. After an update I decided to take off in my living room...MPP..it slowly went and it side of my receiver and broke one propeller...caught it with my hand to prevent further damage and spinning blades hit my finger...hurt so bad for hours! Luckily no cut. I have the gold props on now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99