DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don’t know my right from left

garry_l

Reactions
Replaced the wrap in my Mavic with a nice looking carbon fibre effect and decided to take it out last night for some footage at an outdoor sports court. As a 46 year grown male it came to light that I don’t know my right from left. My brain registered I needed to go right but my hands decided they wanted to fly the drone to the left. Not good as it collided with a metal fence. Left front arm took the brunt of the force but appeared ok. Wrap covering the arm didn’t show any damage. Did a little low level flight and all appeared ok. Took it a bit higher and the drone began to wobble. Began to lower the drone and I started to corkscrew. I thought that was it however I managed to land the Mavic safely. Appears that the damage was significan and that the arm had split completely with the wrap holding it in place. Not an experience I want to repeat. Never mind now, one Amazon prime order later I will have the chance to upskill on arm replacement.
Hopefully I can use a screwdriver and solder iron better than a controller ?

@garry_l hi fellow flyer ,i expect we all myself included have at odd moments had similar issues
when flying with the camera facing us ,it tends to be worse if you haven't flown for a while
and what i have found is on my first battery of the day, i like to refresh the old grey matter, and do a few practice circles ,both inner and outer and also a couple of figure of eights just to get the old muscle memory in full working order again

It's good to practice figure 8s to help get over any confusion when flying towards oneself and watching the drone.
Other than that, if you fly more or less FPV looking mainly at your device screen, that will make it easier to turn the right way.

Good luck with the arm replacement, should be pretty straight forward with the help of some YouTube tutorials on the process.

I have the same problem sometimes, but for different reasons. So, laugh at me all you want or call me foolish but my dog has her own drone. When I'm flying for me I always know my left from my right because I keep 1 eye on the drone and the other on my tablet to make sure I'm facing where I think I am. When I'm flying her drone she's always in a hurry to chase it and barks if I'm too slow so sometimes I launch without hooking up a tablet or phone and just let her chase it. And that's where my left and right will get flipped around. Sometimes I fly left to right and back again facing the same direction but others I'll do a steep climb followed by a looptyloop and kind of dive bomb suddenly facing the direction i came from and lose my orientation. None of those crashes have been serious and my puppy just sits next to her drone waiting for me to get it in the air again. Thankfully she's not too judgy

Reactions: NAVMAV and garry_l
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: garry_l
I have the same problem sometimes, but for different reasons. So, laugh at me all you want or call me foolish but my dog has her own drone. When I'm flying for me I always know my left from my right because I keep 1 eye on the drone and the other on my tablet to make sure I'm facing where I think I am. When I'm flying her drone she's always in a hurry to chase it and barks if I'm too slow so sometimes I launch without hooking up a tablet or phone and just let her chase it. And that's where my left and right will get flipped around. Sometimes I fly left to right and back again facing the same direction but others I'll do a steep climb followed by a looptyloop and kind of dive bomb suddenly facing the direction i came from and lose my orientation. None of those crashes have been serious and my puppy just sits next to her drone waiting for me to get it in the air again. Thankfully she's not too judgy

Well after a few newbie mistake on the repair front. I am now back flying after replacing the arm.
I followed a YouTube video showing me what to do which was great. Unfortunately I was following it to closing and as the video was showing the replacement of the other front arm I followed it to well and unsoldered the wrong arm. ??
Looking on the positive side it gave me more practice on the soldering front. Once I unsoldered the correct arm and tease the cables out it went well.
I did have a little struggle getting the leg to sit it the correct position when open as it was locking out at about the half way mark. Once that was sorted it was rebuild time.
Apprantely it is not only my ability to know my left from right which is diminishing but also my ability to focus on anything smaller than 5mm.
Once rebuilt the app was telling me it had a power issue I stripped it down and it was my poor soldering skills that let me down. Resolver the cable and rebuilt it with success.
Only had a couple of quick test flights to check all controls were working and that it would hover.
All in all pretty please with myself on a successful repair.
I am now away to order another wrap as that one got removed to strip the Mavic.

Reactions: NAVMAV
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan