DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't crash your Mavic 3 with Waypoints missions

A quick update..
I have to switch the M3 on, then create at least one waypoint, then I can save and continue to edit with it switched off. I have to repeat it for every new waypoint mission, I can't create a mission without both the RC and the M3 switched on and linked. I suspect this may be due to the RC being paired with both my M3 and Mini 3 pro

A quick update..
I have to switch the M3 on, then create at least one waypoint, then I can save and continue to edit with it switched off. I have to repeat it for every new waypoint mission, I can't create a mission without both the RC and the M3 switched on and linked. I suspect this may be due to the RC being paired with both my M3 and Mini 3 pro
You have to take flight to create that first Way Point correct ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the water.

Phantomrain.org
I've found that they only need to be linked if both have their location (ie Wi-Fi on on the controller and GPS on the M3) Update, it's possible to create new missions and waypoints without switching the M3 back on, just use the touchscreen to create waypoints , C1 does not work (as you'd expect as C1 uses the drone position.)

Last edited:

Phantomrain.org
No. That is not necessary. Waypoint missions can be created on the RC Pro after selecting the Mavic 3 series aircraft from the menu and going into the Camera view. No connection to the aircraft is ever necessary until actually flying the mission.

Reactions: Alex Baxter
No. That is not necessary. Waypoint missions can be created on the RC Pro after selecting the Mavic 3 series aircraft from the menu and going into the Camera view. No connection to the aircraft is ever necessary until actually flying the mission.
Apologies, you are absolutely correct, it just seemed counter-intuitive to go into camera view with the camera switched off, so I didn't even try.. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Apologies, you are absolutely correct, it just seemed counter-intuitive to go into camera view with the camera switched off, so I didn't even try.. Thanks for the clarification.
Just as a by-the-by, I wonder if this means that when(?) the mini 3 pro gets waypoints, when you have both a M3 and a Mini 3 that are used with the one RC that the waypoints could be run by either drone using the RC

Reactions: lorpal
Just as a by-the-by, I wonder if this means that when(?) the mini 3 pro gets waypoints, when you have both a M3 and a Mini 3 that are used with the one RC that the waypoints could be run by either drone using the RC
Should the Mini 3 Pro ever get Waypoints (highly unlikely, unless I missed something), a Waypoint file created on the RC Pro for one aircraft would likely not be able to be flown by the other without some external editing, as the drones are completely different. You would most likely need to create separate Waypoint files for each.

Should the Mini 3 Pro ever get Waypoints (highly unlikely, unless I missed something), a Waypoint file created on the RC Pro for one aircraft would likely not be able to be flown by the other without some external editing, as the drones are completely different. You would most likely need to create separate Waypoint files for each.
I'd imagine that to be the case, although on the Go4 models, I believe that Litchi missions can be flown by (for example) the Phantom 3 Pro, the Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 (provided no settings exceed the lesser drones capabilities) and virtual stick missions can be flown by (for example) the Air 2 and Mini 2 with no modifications.

Reactions: Peio64270
I'd imagine that to be the case, although on the Go4 models, I believe that Litchi missions can be flown by (for example) the Phantom 3 Pro, the Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 (provided no settings exceed the lesser drones capabilities) and virtual stick missions can be flown by (for example) the Air 2 and Mini 2 with no modifications.
The current Litchi is completely incompatible with the new MSDK version which supports the Mini 3 Pro, so Litchi will have totally rewrite a completely new program to support it, which will take a lot of their time and resources, and will require a completely separate new Litchi purchase. DJI released the Mini 3 Pro MSDK as an alternative to DJI Waypoints on the Mini 3 Pro. So, the good news is that the RC Pro supports the Mini 3 Pro MSDK. Other 3rd party programs are now available for the Mini 3 Pro MSDK that you can install on the RC Pro for waypoint missions.

The current Litchi is completely incompatible with the new MSDK version which supports the Mini 3 Pro, so Litchi will have totally rewrite a completely new program to support it, which will take a lot of their time and resources, and will require a completely separate new Litchi purchase. DJI released the Mini 3 Pro MSDK as an alternative to DJI Waypoints on the Mini 3 Pro. So, the good news is that the RC Pro supports the Mini 3 Pro MSDK. Other 3rd party programs are now available for the Mini 3 Pro MSDK that you can install on the RC Pro for waypoint missions.
Yes, I know, I'm not suggesting Litchi will ever be available for the Mini 3, I'm referring to DJI Fly waypoints, I'm giving the fact that Litchi is compatible across multiple drones as an example as to why DJI Fly waypoints could possibly be used across multiple drones without modification, given the caveat I stated in my OP. Maybe you KNOW different?

Yes, I know, I'm not suggesting Litchi will ever be available for the Mini 3, I'm referring to DJI Fly waypoints, I'm giving the fact that Litchi is compatible across multiple drones as an example as to why DJI Fly waypoints could possibly be used across multiple drones without modification, given the caveat I stated in my OP. Maybe you KNOW different?
Other than that DJI has no plans for Waypoints on the Mini 3 Pro which renders the subject moot, Waypoints created for the Mavic 3 Enterprise on Mission Hub can be used on the Mavic 3 because they are both Mavic 3 drones. Litchi missions can also be converted for use on the Mavic 3, but do not support the full feature set of the Mavic 3 Waypoints. It is possible that a Mavic 3 Classic Waypoint mission could be used on a Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Pro as it is incapable of using the extra cameras that distinguish them. The reverse would likely not be true, and any mission using the 70mm or 166mm on the Mavic 3 Pro would be problematic, as the 7x cameras are different and the 3x is nonexistent on the Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Classic, and the the 7x is also nonexistent on the Mavic 3 Classic. One user just reported that the 7x camera cannot be used at a waypoint on the Mavic 3 Pro. So, it depends upon the mission, and the drones.

Other than that DJI has no plans for Waypoints on the Mini 3 Pro which renders the subject moot, Waypoints created for the Mavic 3 Enterprise on Mission Hub can be used on the Mavic 3 because they are both Mavic 3 drones. Litchi missions can also be converted for use on the Mavic 3, but do not support the full feature set of the Mavic 3 Waypoints. It is possible that a Mavic 3 Classic Waypoint mission could be used on a Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Pro as it is incapable of using the extra cameras that distinguish them. The reverse would likely not be true, and any mission using the 70mm or 166mm on the Mavic 3 Pro would be problematic, as the 7x cameras are different and the 3x is nonexistent on the Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Classic, and the the 7x is also nonexistent on the Mavic 3 Classic. One user just reported that the 7x camera cannot be used at a waypoint on the Mavic 3 Pro. So, it depends upon the mission, and the drones.
Thanks Gadgetguy, I'll not hold my breath, but hope springs eternal..

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lets stop this nonsense. DJI needs to release the SDK for the Mavic 3.

You cant program the DJI app anywhere but on your controller while your drone is connected, so its easy to makes mistakes on the small screen.

DJI: Want to end the Litchi's existance?

- Make the DJI waypoint App work offline on PC's, etc. Just log into your DJI account, create a plan and save. Load it up on your tablet, etc when youre ready to fly it - (like Litchi).

- Have the app upload the mission to the drone. This way if for some reason it looses contact with the controller - it continues the mission (like Litchi)

- Add in the ability to fly a mission AGL - again - like Litchi.

My $0.02

You cant program the DJI app anywhere but on your controller while your drone is connected, so its easy to makes mistakes on the small screen.

- Make the DJI waypoint App work offline on PC's, etc. Just log into your DJI account, create a plan and save. Load it up on your tablet, etc when youre ready to fly it - (like Litchi).

- Have the app upload the mission to the drone. This way if for some reason it looses contact with the controller - it continues the mission (like Litchi)

My $0.02
I agree 100%. They should also enable cellular connectivity everywhere. It seems DJI's virtual monopoly in the high end consumer drone market, has allowed them to ignore their customers.

My $0.02
...and a Google Earth Pro simulation to enable us to tweak our mission.,

One of the things I miss the most about Litchi is Virtual Litchi. After planning a mission in Litchi you can open that mission in Virtual Litchi which accesses the Google Earth Pro app and does a simulation of the planned flight. If you don't have the drone pointed in the riight direction or your flight inadvertently intersects a hill you would know as you flew Virtual Litchi.

-Have the app upload the mission to the drone. This way if for some reason it looses contact with the controller - it continues the mission (like Litchi)
Drone connection is not necessary to program a Waypoint Mission.

Unless you update to Fly 1.10.6, all Waypoint Missions already have the option of continuing the mission after signal loss.

Reactions: Alex Baxter
I didn’t realise updating fly app messed this up. Bummer

I didn’t realize updating fly app messed this up. Bummer
I can't personally confirm it, but it was reported in another thread. Using Mission Hub instead to create the mission would likely be a workaround, as it still should support it, and then just import the mission to your device. It's the creation side that I believe is crippled, rather than the execution side, hopefully!

Reactions: E.151
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown