DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't do what I did to "hand catch" your MA2!

First , congrats on being brave enough to come forward, not everyone does, Mishaps like this happen every day.

Its funny because if you watch enough videos of people who have mastered the Hand Catch you will also see the Near Misses they have thats just a normal part of hand catching.

In perfect conditions when the wind is tame, the sun is not in your eyes, kids and dogs are miles away the hand catch can be focused on with minimal risk..

But when the real world starts to surround you, dogs, kids , strollers, flashing lights from the drone in your eyes, and wind gusts your going to rethink your hand catching skills

Thanks again for coming forward ,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in Extreme Weather in and out of the Storm
Coal .
Sad but true YouTube videos can easily miss Guide you.
The thing about risk is that you need to evaluate the return for taking the risk Versus the consequence.
For me there is no return for the risk of hand catching. Your time will be much better spent learning to land skillfully.
Very little risk their high return.

So you have to ask yourself do I feel lucky?
Well do ya punk?

First , congrats on being brave enough to come forward, not everyone does,

Thanks again for coming forward ,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in Extreme Weather in and out of the Storm
Coal .

Absolutely Agree. Very brave to post this an it will help somebody who reads It.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Yeah, that hurts for sure. Sorry for you. I've been doing hand launch and catch my MP and M2P with carbon fiber blades most of the times. Your incident reminds me to be extra careful and I'd better start using leather gloves. The MP is relatively less stable under low light condition so it requires very high concentration in hand catching it. Of course, always from the bottom and away from the props.

Last edited:
Now, now, be nice
Unless you know the reasons for someone wanting to hand catch, it is better to practice hand catch on dry land so if ever the occasion arrived where someone were to go boating and wanted to use their drone then they would know how to hand catch the drone. Catching it from above though , well...I'll just leave it at that
I did a Litchi Mission a week ago and although I spent a lot of time preparing for the flight I wound up on a hill that had no landing area available due to high grasses and rough terrain. I was grateful for the small amout of "Hand Catch" practice that I had done in the past and avowed to practice more. Practice and be prepared.

Reactions: Squidinc and Torcan
It’s completely unnecessary to ever do that just increase your piloting skills so you know how to land correctly. In my point of you is it’s just a machoism thing

I’d rather lose my drone and possible use of my hand due to nerve damage after it gets all cut up
So incredibly wrong!

There are very legitimate reasons for needing to hand launch and hand catch. Most often it is due to inadequate ground conditions. It also is necessary on moving platforms (i.e. boats). It has nothing to do with being cool. In fact if someone wanted to be cool, it would be a much greater feat to land on a moving boat than it is to hand catch (although very ill advised to even attempt landing on a moving boat).

Just because you have no need for it, doesn't mean others don't. When done properly and carefully, hand catching can be quite safe. This of course was not one of those times.

Just learn how to land and stop worrying about being cool.

I wasn’t ever trying to be cool. I intend to learn this procedure so when I am in a situation that demands it ie tall grass, swamp land etc, I will still be able to launch & catch by hand. I simply made the mistake of trying to grab from above instead of below.

Painful lesson. Hope nothing's permanently damaged like nerves etc.

Hand catching is about seeing when it's safe. For me, I don't hand catch when it's windy. Always go from underneath and make it so u reach your hands up. So that you're catching the drone above eye level. This way if some wind blow away and u miss etc it doesn't hit your eyes. I turn off the landing sensores so that when I put my hand underneath it doesn't detect it and flies off. Makes hand catching easier. Not sure if MA2 can turn off the downward sensors.

Reactions: Squidinc
I fly off or hand catch no problem.

Fly off I slide from the screen. I cant do 2 joystick pull when I have a bird in the other hand.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada