DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't do what I did to "hand catch" your MA2!

Now, now, be nice
Unless you know the reasons for someone wanting to hand catch, it is better to practice hand catch on dry land so if ever the occasion arrived where someone were to go boating and wanted to use their drone then they would know how to hand catch the drone. Catching it from above though , well...I'll just leave it at that
I am being nice. I'm trying to save him from the likes of you that encourage other to do unsafe things with silly excuses as to why they should.

• Wow
Reactions: Ex Coelis
Ouch! Sorry you learned that lesson the hard way. You are correct, of course, there is no way to safely catch a drone from above. Even hand catching from below entails some risk, though it's far less and manageable. I'm 75, but active and exercise a lot. Still I managed to drop my drone from chest height while hand catching. Poor light and it slipped. I had a lens hood on, which broke and saved the gimbal on my M2P, so no real damage.

Heal quick.
Thanks ??

Yikes!! I've been bit before by trying to grab my Spark that was trying to fly with hand gestures that I knew nothing about. (read the manual)
Hope that doesn't discourage you. It really is easy. lower it down to shoulder level.(that seems too low at first) just watch it's behaviour and make sure it's stable and your on stable ground..Walk up to it on an angle, put your hand under it and gently pull back on the left stick. as it settles into your hand keep the stick all the way back until the props have stopped. once you've done it a few times you'll have your own preferred method. I think it's the best way to land it unless you're sitting in a chair I've scared myself a couple of times doing that
Thanks. Appreciate your advice. ??

I have caught my MA on many occasions.
But with great care and concentration.
Only ever from the side (No sensors) and from below.
I can't recommend it, but because of ground conditions I needed to.
Looking at your picture......Yuk
But "Lesson learnt".
Be careful in future.

OUCH.
Did that take a portion of your nail off?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am being nice. I'm trying to save him from the likes of you that encourage other to do unsafe things with silly excuses as to why they should.
"from the likes of me?"
wow, get down from your high horse

Reactions: Ex Coelis
"from the likes of me?"
wow, get down from your high horse
Get down from yours. It’s generally a very dangerous thing to do. There’s been numerous posts are a really bad injuries you should at least acknowledge that it’s very risky.

Get down from yours. It’s generally a very dangerous thing to do. There’s been numerous posts are a really bad injuries you should at least acknowledge that it’s very risky.
yes it is dangerous, so is driving a car in a rainstorm, but sometimes people need to learn, and that was the jest of my comment
but your original post basically called him out, and that was not necessary
your words, "trying to be cool"
you had no idea why he was attempting, and many other posters to this forum have also needed to hand catch for a variety of reasons.
I am not a forum warrior, and did not appreciate your words to me " likes of you"
I wish the best to the OP, and hope his recovery is swift and no permanent damage is done

yes it is dangerous, so is driving a car in a rainstorm, but sometimes people need to learn, and that was the jest of my comment
but your original post basically called him out, and that was not necessary
your words, "trying to be cool"
you had no idea why he was attempting, and many other posters to this forum have also needed to hand catch for a variety of reasons.
I am not a forum warrior, and did not appreciate your words to me " likes of you"
I wish the best to the OP, and hope his recovery is swift and no permanent damage is done
It’s completely unnecessary to ever do that just increase your piloting skills so you know how to land correctly. In my point of you is it’s just a machoism thing

I’d rather lose my drone and possible use of my hand due to nerve damage after it gets all cut up

Not when irresponsible recommendations that could permanently damage people are giving out.
I never gave a recommendation out, I posted a valid opinion.
You may not agree, and that is your right, but you don't have the right to attack people here, you need to learn how to respond in a way that doesn't come off as a bully and know it all
I will be sure in the future to pass all future posting by you first to get your approval
since you seem to be the forum expert on everything.

I never gave a recommendation out, I posted a valid opinion.
You may not agree, and that is your right, but you don't have the right to attack people here, you need to learn how to respond in a way that doesn't come off as a bully and know it all
I will be sure in the future to pass all future posting by you first to get your approval
since you seem to be the forum expert on everything.
I don’t think stating that it’s dangerous as bullying if you took it that way I’m sorry but it certainly wasn’t meant to be that way it’s meant to keep people who do not wish to take a risk from doing that.
Why you want to stick your hands into a blender totally escapes me but if that’s what you wanna do go ahead
Telling people they need to learn the skill is in my opinion irresponsible. Not to mention untrue
I fully respect your right to take any risk you want but it should be made clear that it’s very risky and unnecessary.
In general the FAA classifies taking a unnecessary risks As machoism and it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,
Have only been flying for about 3 weeks now, and thoroughly enjoying my Mavic Air 2's capabilities. That said, after watching a few YouTube videos, I thought I would try hand catching my MA2 on return. I made the costly mistake of attempting to grab it from above, instead of below! Lesson learnt. (See pic). Those props are like knives...trust me lol. Only damage done to my MA2 was to one prop, which I immediately replaced.View attachment 104571
You know what Forest Gump says about stupidity....

I don’t think stating that it’s dangerous as bullying
if you took it that way I’m sorry but it certainly wasn’t meant to be that way it’s meant to keep people who do not wish to take a risk from doing that.
Why are you want to stick your hands into a blender totally escapes me but if that’s what you wanna do go ahead
Telling people they need to learn the skill is in my opinion irresponsible. Not to mention untrue
I fully respect your right to take any risk you want but it should be made clear that it’s very risky and unnecessary.
In general the FAA classifies taking a unnecessary risks As machoism and it is.

you didn't start off as telling people it would be dangerous, you told the OP to "learn how to land and stop trying to be cool" and for that is why I said be nice
I never recommended or told people to learn the skill, I stated that some members learn because they need to know how, if as an example, they were to go boating. There are many posts on this forum with exactly that happening, and tons of videos to show as well.
I never said anyone needed to learn the skill
you attacked my post by using the words "by the likes of you" and saying that I was encouraging hand catch when I was clearly not encouraging anything only an alternate reason as to why
you then followed up with the "machoism" comment.
People can go back and read the posts and comments for themselves
no need to twist or spin when it is all here to see

you didn't start off as telling people it would be dangerous, you told the OP to "learn how to land and stop trying to be cool" and for that is why I said be nice
I never recommended or told people to learn the skill, I stated that some members learn because they need to know how, if as an example, they were to go boating. There are many posts on this forum with exactly that happening, and tons of videos to show as well.
I never said anyone needed to learn the skill
you attacked my post by using the words "by the likes of you" and saying that I was encouraging hand catch when I was clearly not encouraging anything only an alternate reason as to why
you then followed up with the "machoism" comment.
People can go back and read the posts and comments for themselves
no need to twist or spin when it is all here to see
Sorry if I misread your intentions, it's really not about you, but I stand by what I have said regarding the extreme risk of hand catching an that there is no need to ever do that.

Not only could you lose permanent use of you hand but you could easily flip right into your face. (and put your eye out)

Sorry if I misread your intentions, it's really not about you, but I stand by what I have said regarding the extreme risk of hand catching an that there is no need to ever do that.

Not only could you lose permanent use of you hand but you could easily flip right into your face. (and put your eye out)
some need to, depending on circumstances
as for the danger, on that I totally agree with you 100%

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Have only been flying for about 3 weeks now, and thoroughly enjoying my Mavic Air 2's capabilities. That said, after watching a few YouTube videos, I thought I would try hand catching my MA2 on return. I made the costly mistake of attempting to grab it from above, instead of below! Lesson learnt. (See pic). Those props are like knives...trust me lol. Only damage done to my MA2 was to one prop, which I immediately replaced.View attachment 104571

First , congrats on being brave enough to come forward, not everyone does, Mishaps like this happen every day.

Its funny because if you watch enough videos of people who have mastered the Hand Catch you will also see the Near Misses they have thats just a normal part of hand catching.

In perfect conditions when the wind is tame, the sun is not in your eyes, kids and dogs are miles away the hand catch can be focused on with minimal risk..

But when the real world starts to surround you, dogs, kids , strollers, flashing lights from the drone in your eyes, and wind gusts your going to rethink your hand catching skills

Thanks again for coming forward ,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in Extreme Weather in and out of the Storm
Coal .

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser