DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't Fly Near Clearview Credit Union w/Blue Roof

Chirp

Reactions
The photo below shows my Mavic Pro stranded on the roof of a Clearview Credit Union branch office
which are located mainly is Southwest PA.
upload_2018-7-3_12-56-45.png

I did not know the roof is all metal. While photographing a shopping center I passed this building twice.

The first time I went past the roof my MP made sounds like a gust of wind hit it. It only lasted just a couple seconds I and didn't notice any warnings on the remote. The second time I got near it I was coming in for a landing right in front of it when and I got a magnetic interference warning on the remote and could not get it out of the slow spin it was in.
I was an hour away from home when this happened yesterday and it took me about 2 hours to retrieve it thanks finally to a guy in a truck with ladders that I chased in traffic and flagged down at a red light...

We have a few bldgs. like that here in Ca but they are copper sheet that have been painted. some they leave them to oxidize and turn light green. If that one is copper it might react more with your bird.

Yikes, I've shot a lot of metal roof buildings and haven't had a problem yet... knock on wood. Glad you got your bird back!

Reactions: Odom1957 and Chirp
We have a few bldgs. like that here in Ca but they are copper sheet that have been painted. some they leave them to oxidize and turn light green. If that one is copper it might react more with your bird.

Good to know so you can watch out for them...
I'm sure the architects know way more than I do about it but is seems a metal roof painted dark(ish) blue would be quite hot when the sun beats down upon it...

Reactions: Odom1957
The heat doesn't transfer to the building unless they forgot the insulating panels underneath. The metal is actually more efficient than shingles because of this.

An air gap underneath the panel creates a barrier, then the insulation board provides a little R value to boot.

Good to know about metal roofs though. At what height above the roof did you experience the problems?

Reactions: Chirp
The heat doesn't transfer to the building unless they forgot the insulating panels underneath. The metal is actually more efficient than shingles because of this.

An air gap underneath the panel creates a barrier, then the insulation board provides a little R value to boot.

Good to know about metal roofs though. At what height above the roof did you experience the problems?

I was about 10 feet above the roof and about 10 feet away from the building. Pretty close. Too close obviously.

I hadn't figured what the problem was yet, it was the bank manager that came out to take photos and said 'probably our metal roof, huh?'
Metal Roof. Duh. Nice older bank manager lady telling big bad 107 pilot what the problem was. She had advantage, she works there.

Reactions: tracer bullet
Me too. I use a metal roof, brick foundation building to teach people how to use the POI setting.
Strange.

That is strange because I get interference when I set my bird on the hood of my car just long enough to get set up.

Well if it isn't the roof that's causing the interference maybe it's the thing that I first suspected which is a flagpole in front of the building.

Now you guys have me wondering...

I am going back there this Sunday the 8th to get a couple shots I missed and to do another mission right next door.
I will walk the MP around the building with the video on and monitor the remote to see what errors are displayed.

That is strange because I get interference when I set my bird on the hood of my car just long enough to get set up.

Well if it isn't the roof that's causing the interference maybe it's the thing that I first suspected which is a flagpole in front of the building.
Having it set on metal and flying over it are not the same. I remove my change, keys and watch when I calibrate. Now I have had odd results flying under an old steel I-beam style bridge. I attributed it to the mass amount of steel I was only feet away from.

I bet someone will post pics of flying over a metal roof... ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
I was about 10 feet above the roof and about 10 feet away from the building. Pretty close. Too close obviously.

I hadn't figured what the problem was yet, it was the bank manager that came out to take photos and said 'probably our metal roof, huh?'
Metal Roof. Duh. Nice older bank manager lady telling big bad 107 pilot what the problem was. She had advantage, she works there.

If the roof material is steel then it could, conceivably, have a significant magnetic field. If so then the best solution would probably have been to ascend immediately. Easy to say in hindsight, of course.

If you want to know for sure, post the mobile device DAT file for that flight.

Like these I took today checking my roof.
1883F7D2-BB91-4A3E-AD00-EE73BE08BFAB.jpeg 3D0E878F-B9E1-49E0-855E-06A509042BF8.jpeg 04DFEF7B-D220-4C73-9F6F-DE12A8C4CB20.jpeg DA2B5667-8877-4DB3-A774-F7AECB4E4C39.jpeg 063D56EB-8CAC-473B-B803-21FF7A729651.jpeg

All I know it's rolled steel sheets and can't remember the gauge but everyone here almost uses it and is not thin .
Hey I use the back of my 90 GMC 4x4 to take off from the most of the time without any issues . Hood I can't but in the bed yes .
Guess it's really depends just how much is around you and other things .

All I know it's rolled steel sheets and can't remember the gauge but everyone here almost uses it and is not thin .
Hey I use the back of my 90 GMC 4x4 to take off from the most of the time without any issues . Hood I can't but in the bed yes .
Guess it's really depends just how much is around you and other things .

And other things, there does not seem to be consistency, weird and above my pay level.

I regularly fly over my corrugated iron roof to check the gutters, quite low too. The only issue I have had is when I nearly hit the TV antenna. Otherwise all is good with no warnings.

Hi! Completely off-drone with this remark, but I'd suggest that you get those bricks round the vent/chimney in pictures 1 and 2 properly capped off with some type of tiles or protection.

Bricks are not intended to be laid with the perforations exposed as rainwater can be retained in the exposed perforations and cause problems by soaking down through the brickwork.

In areas that are susceptible to freezing conditions, that could cause problems with the bricks being damaged by the water freezing and expanding, causing the brick to disintegrate over time.

I spent almost 30 years working in the laboratories of a UK company that makes building bricks and saw many cases of damage caused by frost in various products. The company was known as Hanson Brick when I retired in 2008 - now, it's Fortera.

Well thanks buddy but this house was one my wife grew up in and then caught fire and we go it and did a whole strip down and out
and redid it to retire in so to speak . Has all Tin ceilings and did in a rustic style .This being in Mississippi I understand what you are saying but we don't have the type weather that has caused it to give us any issues yet but I thank you for post.

Yes, I used Google Earth to find out where Amory is located and found that you possibly wouldn't get too many problems from freezing cold weather but thought the remarks were valid. In any case, at least try to get the perforations filled in or tiled over before too long as I see that you've also got a few plants taking root in them and that might cause you further problems.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato