DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't just Read The Fantastic Manual... TRY everything in it!

Xtreme Drone Pilot

Reactions
Fact: most people don't RTFM. They crash very quickly and then come here for clues about what happened. Although it's spelled out right there in the manual!

I do RTFM. But - I just READ it like a book, I don't TRY everything in it, dismissing many things in it as of no use for me.

Take, for example, various flight modes. Recently, I wanted to ask the question on this forum, "how to fly straight while turning the Mavic so I can visually check that I'm still visible by the Mavic while I can't see it as it's too far, to ensure that the signal won't get lost". I thought it requires some wizardry with the sticks to yaw while still flying straight. Well, dumb me! There's Course Lock mode that allows exactly that! No wizardry needed! But when I was simply reading the manual, I just skimmed through and it didn't click in my mind. Doing it, by your own hands, gives you these ready solutions to questions you might have in the future.

Instead of just skimming the manual and thinking that I know everything, I'm from now on going to actually try absolutely every thing in it, and try absolutely every option in the app.

Signed: Former Reader, Present Doer :D

I feel you :cool:... I used to be a reader ~ many years ago. I found that by physically running through all settings and modes of any new electronics that I get, it really helps me remember the little things when I need them. About three years ago I was flying my Phantom 2 when it decided to head for China in its own. After trying several things, while violently shaking, I thought of Home Lock. Flipped the switch, pulled straight back on the right stick and prayed to hear the sound of bees swarming overhead. The P2 was a ways out, on the other side of a hill. I was certain it was gone. Thank goodness I had tried out the HL when I purchased it. I knew it was there. I understood it. And, it saved my wayward craft.

Welcome to the club Thumbswayup

BTW ~ I remember your conversation from a few weeks ago and believe that I may have mentioned CL in response to your question.

I tried to read the manual...

It’s so small...

Granted, it’s not the full manual, but trying to thumb through the pages, and read the illustrations wasn’t very user friendly.

When I pulled out the small manual to read it, I was like, you’ve got to be kidding... Over $1,000, and you’re being provided with the dinky manual provided below.

No thanks. I made my own. Added a binder, laminated a few pages and BAM!

It’s much easier to thumb through and read. Put together on a much more professional level, and should be something you’d come to expect from a $1k investment.

Just my .02

63E7BB90-1521-42F9-BEE4-21A08E2FC5F8.jpeg

Fact: most people don't RTFM. They crash very quickly and then come here for clues about what happened. Although it's spelled out right there in the manual!

I do RTFM. But - I just READ it like a book, I don't TRY everything in it, dismissing many things in it as of no use for me.

Take, for example, various flight modes. Recently, I wanted to ask the question on this forum, "how to fly straight while turning the Mavic so I can visually check that I'm still visible by the Mavic while I can't see it as it's too far, to ensure that the signal won't get lost". I thought it requires some wizardry with the sticks to yaw while still flying straight. Well, dumb me! There's Course Lock mode that allows exactly that! No wizardry needed! But when I was simply reading the manual, I just skimmed through and it didn't click in my mind. Doing it, by your own hands, gives you these ready solutions to questions you might have in the future.

Instead of just skimming the manual and thinking that I know everything, I'm from now on going to actually try absolutely every thing in it, and try absolutely every option in the app.

Signed: Former Reader, Present Doer :D
I never used to read manuals with a "how hard can it be" attitude.
mind you that was a good few years ago with very badly translated instructions.
after many many expensive helicopter "mishaps" I do now read and try everything. (sometimes twice, im old)
DJI is probably the best product manual iv seen out of china for many years.

I know one can read the manual online but I must say the manual DJI provides is a joke. The print is sooo small its pretty much pointless. Provide a bigger print manual DJI!!

Reactions: crooz77
I know one can read the manual online but I must say the manual DJI provides is a joke. The print is sooo small its pretty much pointless. Provide a bigger print manual DJI!!

Perhaps, this is intentional? To force people read it online, the latest version? Since Mavic's features are constantly changing, the manual shipped with it becomes obsolete.
Mine shipped with v1.4 of the manual iirc, now it's v1.8.

I'm doing the 'try things out' more now, and it's incredible just how much choice you have.
Yesterday arvo I slowed yaw sensitivity to it's lowest level, along with and brake / attitude settings a little too, plus gimbal scroll sensitivity.
Really made a big difference to easier smooth flying and gimbal movement.

Tripod seems WAY too slow for filming unless very close up, or do people speed up footage taken in tripod ??

I tried a few other things like home lock, lots more to explore.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
The majority of electronic gadgets I get do not include printed manuals. They’ll have a quick start guide and a URL to a detailed PDF manual online.

That was probably the quick start guide. Read the manual. I have it on my computer and look at it and parts of it couple times a week. And as said here, printed manuals are expensive, hard to easily update and usually aren't usually provided any more. I remember my first computers, I had a whole book shelf full of manuals, seldom used them. Was mad when they stopped including them, then got use to the on line manuals. Printed out hard copies in the beginning, found I didn't read them that much, don't do it any more, maybe print out a page or two that I need at the time. I hate read books on my iPad but got over that when I found a series that I really like and was only available electronically.

I usually don't read the manual until I have a problem and can't figure it out on my own. BUT, since I had just invested over $1K in a very complicated little machine, I decided up front to do something different. So while waiting for it to arrive last Father's Day, I read the on line manual, watch a ton of video, which I typically will avoid like the plague. So I was pretty ready when it came, flew a couple of days in beginner mode, flew at the school practice field which was wide open space and slowly progressed to turning off the beginner mode. Twice I crashed, once while showing off to friends, once cause I misjudged the height of a power line crossing the road. So this Dad, who usually doesn't, this time did read the instructions and continue to reread them almost on a weekly basis. Every time I do, I learn something new or remember something I forgot. I can't recommend strongly enough for beginners and oldies alike to bone up on the Mavic. After months of flying, there is still a lot of things it can do that I haven't tried yet so there is always something new to look forward to trying. At the rate I am going it is going to take a long time before I get bored with this hobby.

I can say that this is one of the few manuals that I'll actually read. And like the post says, I'm going to try out everything in it.

I tried to read the manual...

It’s so small...

Granted, it’s not the full manual, but trying to thumb through the pages, and read the illustrations wasn’t very user friendly.

When I pulled out the small manual to read it, I was like, you’ve got to be kidding... Over $1,000, and you’re being provided with the dinky manual provided below.

No thanks. I made my own. Added a binder, laminated a few pages and BAM!

It’s much easier to thumb through and read. Put together on a much more professional level, and should be something you’d come to expect from a $1k investment.

Just my .02

View attachment 25217
Wow, you have a spiral bound manual??
I got a very short booklet.
When I was first learning, I discovered YouTube. As well as downloading the pdf manual.
Fly safe, all!

I read the manual several times but haven't found it particularly helpful. I ran into trouble trying to update firmware over my android device on wifi and there is no info on what one might do to improve the experience. Ultimately I had to use the Assistant software on a PC.

I remember several discussions about battery self discharge and that the self discharge will be reset by pressing the button on the battery. I'm still not sure if that is the case and wonder why that wasn't spelled out.

I'd be much happier with a more comprehensive and less amviguous manual.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661