DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't read unless you like long range

As the title says, the mavic air 2 has a hard coded 11km distance limiter. At least five people have hit it... The air 2 losses signal and returns home no mater what.

I know this video will generate a lot of hate, but some people will want to know before purchasing the air 2.

The other Mavics have this too as far as I know.

How can you tell whether it is due to real loss of signal or a claimed hard-code limit ?

Because I had others tell me that it had it, and I didn't believe them..

I didn't have any sort of break up at all until I hit the 11km.... Then it was like a brick wall... instant video and signal loss...

If it was losing signal, there would have been some sort of pixelation... There was none of that.

Reactions: KyleBrazil
As the title says, the mavic air 2 has a hard coded 11km distance limiter. At least five people have hit it... The air 2 losses signal and returns home no mater what.

I know this video will generate a lot of hate, but some people will want to know before purchasing the air 2.

I find this a little hard to believe!! What would be the purpose of doing this? Think about it!

Reactions: Harry0363
I find this a little hard to believe!! What would be the purpose of doing this? Think about it!
The purpose is simple actually...
The mavic pro and the mavic 2 have a hardcoded limit of 17.9km.
This is not the first drone they have done this to. All occusync drones have a hard coded limitation.

The point is, in my opinion to make sure they don't go as far as the other models.

Mavic air 2 should not go as far as mavic 2....

All the wifi drones, like spark, mavic air 1, and mavic mini have unlimited range as long as you do the mods to go further.

I've taken the mavic mini to 14.8km

Because I had others tell me that it had it, and I didn't believe them..

I didn't have any sort of break up at all until I hit the 11km.... Then it was like a brick wall... instant video and signal loss...

If it was losing signal, there would have been some sort of pixelation... There was none of that.
Have you considered that this is likely to be a technical limit in the Occusync system?

Have you considered that this is likely to be a technical limit in the Occusync system?

Yeah typically when the drone goes out of
range it happens all at once. You have full video feed and controls, until you don’t anymore. It behaves this way no matter how and when you lose connection. It’s not like the WiFi drones that sputter and lose signal gradually.

Yeah typically when the drone goes out of
range it happens all at once. You have full video feed and controls, until you don’t anymore. It behaves this way no matter how and when you lose connection. It’s not like the WiFi drones that sputter and lose signal gradually.
no, if you look at the range record tests for Mavic 1 and Mavic 2, you will see that there is an absolute limit not due to signal strength. There are many modders here that have amplified their RC signals to the heavens, and with that once they hit the hard limit as Justin remarked, the drone simply does not fly further and cuts out and RTH.

Usually it takes days or months for us to figure out this limit as signal strength is never so readily high and requires plenty of custom / hack setups but Justin has proven this in days since launch. The good thing is this ends a lot of long distance arms race and e-bragging rights.

no, if you look at the range record tests for Mavic 1 and Mavic 2, you will see that there is an absolute limit not due to signal strength. There are many modders here that have amplified their RC signals to the heavens, and with that once they hit the hard limit as Justin remarked, the drone simply does not fly further and cuts out and RTH.

Usually it takes days or months for us to figure out this limit as signal strength is never so readily high and requires plenty of custom / hack setups but Justin has proven this in days since launch. The good thing is this ends a lot of long distance arms race and e-bragging rights.
Not signal strength .. but distance, just like mobile phones.

The purpose is simple actually...
The mavic pro and the mavic 2 have a hardcoded limit of 17.9km.
This is not the first drone they have done this to. All occusync drones have a hard coded limitation.

The point is, in my opinion to make sure they don't go as far as the other models.

Mavic air 2 should not go as far as mavic 2....

All the wifi drones, like spark, mavic air 1, and mavic mini have unlimited range as long as you do the mods to go further.

I've taken the mavic mini to 14.8km

What mods did you have?

Reactions: QuadCopterAce
Not signal strength .. but distance, just like mobile phones.
It's possible.

May be in the Occusync protocol, the drone will return feedback for the control signals sent out by the RC. If the feedback signal does not arrive in time, the RC will typically re-transmit the signal. If the drone is too far away, the feedback signal will never be able to come back to the RC in time. After re-transmission has been done for a number of times, the connection will be cut. Such protocol is very common in cellular systems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hauptmann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan