DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Don't understand FPV view mode

Berf

Reactions
I have an Air2S that I've switched back and forth from FPV mode to normal mode, and I'm not really seeing any difference in the view or how the camera pans etc. Can someone explain to me what differences I'm supposed to see in FPV mode? The manual doesn't do a very good job of describing it.

Unless the Air 2s differs from other drones, in FPV mode have the drone move sideways or turn it side on to the prevailing wind.

My new MA2 has the same problem, still haven't figured it out yet. Thinking about sending it in this winter to be "DJI Care"'d for, hopefully it can be fixed. T

After some tests of FPV mode on a Mini 2, I decided to stick to Follow mode. I do occasionally add some “swoop” in Premiere, but nowhere near the amount that FPV mode produces. Your mileage may vary.

Ok, so now that I better understand FPV mode, here is my issue. When my Air2S is in the Follow mode, the camera still tilts when the drone tilts. So when I switch back and forth from Follow to FPV mode, I don't see any change. Is there some setting somewhere that could be preventing the Follow Mode from working properly?

I'm following this thread closely, I have same problem. T

So I just tried changing FPV mode back to Follow Mode, and now the camera gimbals properly when the aircraft tilts. Not sure why it wasn't working before, but apparently changing it back and forth between the two settings fixed it. Go figure.

Reactions: tlswift58
"Tilt" is ambiguous, the drone tilts in two directions pitch-nose-up/down and roll-right/left.

In follow me the gimbal should attempt to keep the camera at the same pitch with respect to a horizontal plane and horizontal with respect to roll, i.e. it counters the pitch and roll of the drone.

In FPV mode the gimbal should attempt to keep the camera at the same pitch with respect to a horizontal plane BUT the gimbal will NOT attempt to keep the camera level with respect to roll, i.e. the camera will roll as the drone rolls but the gimbal should counter any change in the drone's pitch.

Reactions: SethB
"Tilt" is ambiguous, the drone tilts in two directions pitch-nose-up/down and roll-right/left.

In follow me the gimbal should attempt to keep the camera at the same pitch with respect to a horizontal plane and horizontal with respect to roll, i.e. it counters the pitch and roll of the drone.

In FPV mode the gimbal should attempt to keep the camera at the same pitch with respect to a horizontal plane BUT the gimbal will NOT attempt to keep the camera level with respect to roll, i.e. the camera will roll as the drone rolls but the gimbal should counter any change in the drone's pitch.
Is the roll smooth at least? Let's say you take a hard roll. Will it be jerky or a smooth roll in the footage?

It's "hard". Basically the camera is "locked" with the body's roll so if you roll the body fast the camera will be just as jerky. At least it was on previous models.

I can be vicious, as far as I can make out it follows the roll of the drone almost precisely.
t depends not only on your stick input but also on any side wind,
With the likes of the Mavic Mini and the M2P I use it to see what the drone is having to do to fight the wind i.e. I switch to FPV mode then yaw the drone until I see the horizon tip to the greatest extent, that is side on to the wind and the degree of horizon tip is indicative of the wind strength.

But if you want to see a master at work have a look at the videos of alex_makov . I am pretty sure some of his videos are shot with a 'normal drone' in FPV mode rather than with the DJI FPV drone.
I have flown an DJI FPV drone in wind, head or tail on to the wind is fine but when side on to any wind the video is all over the place.

Last edited by a moderator:
FPV mode on the MA2 (and most likely the A2S as well) was updated at some point. It no longer locks the gimbal to the roll of the body. It is now a more subtle effect and it requires pitch and roll to see it. It's good for those that don't know how to manage pitch and roll for a smooth banked turn, but for those that do it's a bummer.

At about 1:16 in this video I start to turn and you'll see the horizon tilt. This is about as much as you can get it to tilt.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus