DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Downloaded Maps - But available NOT offline

jedpause

Reactions
Hi, checked first, nothing specific answers my problem...

I've downloaded 4 areas for offline use on my Galaxy Note 4 - via WiFi...

When I fly in the areas though there is no visible map, just black.... (my phone does not have SIM card in)

Any pointers....cheers

What country are you in?
Offline maps aren't available everywhere.

What country are you in?
Offline maps aren't available everywhere.

Hi UK - London.. areas dowloaded were basically Surrey area... I see them, can choose the download... have done 4 separate areas each with their own name/description... as soon as I am not on Wifi, they are not there on the small box on screen, just black

I think the app only saves one cache map. And, may disappear if turning app on and off.

How are you downloading them?

I normally just zoom into areas I want to fly at and it automatically stores them for offline viewing. You have to view them as satellite images.

How are you downloading them?

I normally just zoom into areas I want to fly at and it automatically stores them for offline viewing. You have to view them as satellite images.

Hi tried as satellite, Hybrid and map only using hte Download map zone option off the menu (three lines in Go 4)...

I did a test, connected to the MP, connected phone to WiFi... Maps all good... disconnected wifi, and immediately screen went blank.... the area I am in is in the downloaded area.... then I repeated it... but this time the map statyed on screen....

I'll just get a SIM card, or use my normal phone as a wifi spot from now on... but that defeats the whole object... what if I am in a remote spot with no 4G signal!

Make sure phone Airplane mode is Off.
On the map find the area you want to save (cache). Go to the zoom in/out thing of the area.
Turn on phone Airplane mode.
The map is now cached.

Problems, I believe the map will still be there, unless you close the app. Upon reloading the app, the cached map will be gone.

Some have said can save more than one map, but I and others have not,

Have you connected the MP to the app? Try doing that and once it has a few satellites it should show.

I am in UK and here is my method that works fine even when MP is not connected. Turn on Wifi and download map you need, leave Wifi on and go into app to view that area, whilst in the map turn off the Wifi (leave Go4 app on) and browse the area again. Close app completely and come back in with Wifi off and the map is visible. You cannot have Satellite view in offline map only road view. I have three areas stored with this method and they all work fine offline as I do not have a mobile internet connection.

I am in UK and here is my method that works fine even when MP is not connected. Turn on Wifi and download map you need, leave Wifi on and go into app to view that area, whilst in the map turn off the Wifi (leave Go4 app on) and browse the area again. Close app completely and come back in with Wifi off and the map is visible. You cannot have Satellite view in offline map only road view. I have three areas stored with this method and they all work fine offline as I do not have a mobile internet connection.
Interesting - what version of the app do you have and is it Android ?

Someone replied to a thread I created about this and said they don't work with the current app any more as the mapping source was changed from one provider to another.

I am on 4.2.21 and I have just checked and I still have 10 or so maps downloaded and each shows its file size. I have just been into one (not connected to controller or aircraft) and it loads instantly whether on or offline. However when I try to use them when connected they are not there !

I have just checked again and although they are listed when they load they are just an overview of the area and you can't zoom in so basically useless.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato