DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Draining batteries for traveling

So according to that chart, Mavic batteries would be good to go. The question is what do they consider “protected from damage and short circuit”? Would individual carved out section in a hard case cover this?
A couple wraps with electrical tape would do it.

Reactions: Point Zero
So I’m getting ready to travel but Mother Nature hasn’t been conducive(-3 degrees Fahrenheit and 20-35mph winds)for flying my MP in order to drain my batteries for airline safety.
It's completely unnecessary to drain your batteries for travel.
No airline in the world asks you to.
The FAA and other air safety authorities don't ask you to and no airport security check people are looking for it.
It's a total forum myth.

Also, these batteries can't easily (near impossible) turn on accidentally. You have to press, then press and hold for 2 seconds.
When they are powered off, there's more power coming out of your cellphone USB port.

You could print this out and keep it in your pocket. If you have any problems, just pull it out. It'll take much less time than trying to discharge your batteries ;)
Thanks for the information and I printed it out just in case I ever need to show it to them. And that other post about using a power bank for discharging batteries is something that I hadn’t thought of. Simple solutions for the issue.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that you’re supposed to only have them as carry on luggage and ensure that they only have about a third of a charge.
I try to demonstrate a safety attitude by putting tape over the terminals.
The last thing I read suggested not making a fuss over them or drawing attention to them. Just leave them in your carry on bag and let TSA scan them. I’ve traveled to the US and around Australia so far no one’s batted an eye.

I have been traveling around Europe (I live in Thailand), have also travelled to Vietnam. My M2Z comes with me!
After watching / reading DJI recommendations, I discharge batteries to about 45% before I get to the airport - if you don’t, after 10 days they start to discharge to about 50% automatically..
I have never been asked to show their state of charge, I have been asked their power rating, but they are way below the limit allowed on airplanes.
I place I battery in the aircraft and the two spares each in a rubber glove!!
Rubber glove, you may ask?
Well they double up when I need to remove the UV filters.
The rubber grips the camera & filter very well.

Oh yes, to discharge I turn on the controller & phone and the aircraft (Motors arn’t running) and either watch tv, or play with the Go 4 app.
MrSmileygc - check out my Vietnam vid on YouTube.
More vids on MrSmileygc when I get back after my trav

Reactions: Mr. Wood
It's completely unnecessary to drain your batteries for travel.
No airline in the world asks you to.
The FAA and other air safety authorities don't ask you to and no airport security check people are looking for it.
It's a total forum myth.
Just make sure that you have adequate power in batteries to fire up your quad. I had at least one occasion where the security wanted to see the unit fired up. I suspect to ensure that it is what it looks like. It seemed that the X-ray operator was new and the folks who spotted my UAV wanted to show her what a working unit looked like. Only on one occasion but ... It used to be that you had to fire up your laptop computers to demonstrate that they were not "rigged". Maybe the same thing.

Thought about that too. Wasn’t sure if it could decide to ascend for any weird reason since it’d be indoors and we all know what the outcome of that would be....haha. Not good

I sold one of my Phantom 2 Vision Plus drones to a friend. He thought he'd discharge his batteries by idling it in the living room with the props on.

He left it unattended and the controller shut off to save power, just like it's supposed to. The Phantom, upon losing signal, did what it was supposed to do and went into RTH mode and tore up his living room curtains while bouncing off the ceiling a few times.

He finally got a hold of the Phantom after a few minor cuts on his hands. Needed new props after that, too.

I believe they've relaxed the rule some but it was required to take electronics, especially laptops, out of your bags. If you didn't, then they inspected them more closely including turning them on.
I made that mistake around 2004 when I wasn't aware of the new rules since 9/11.

I sold one of my Phantom 2 Vision Plus drones to a friend. He thought he'd discharge his batteries by idling it in the living room with the props on.

He left it unattended and the controller shut off to save power, just like it's supposed to. The Phantom, upon losing signal, did what it was supposed to do and went into RTH mode and tore up his living room curtains while bouncing off the ceiling a few times.

He finally got a hold of the Phantom after a few minor cuts on his hands. Needed new props after that, too.

That's a great story aside from what your friend had to experience!

I am going to be flying to the U.S.A. in March and I am not going to drain my batteries.
I will be taping up the contacts to protect against short circuit. (Cheaper than the covers you can buy.)
What I am going to buy is a LiPo safe bag for each Battery and my PowerBank.
I had the Powerbank with me before and they told me at the airport that I should have a bag for it. The rule was so new that they told me they would let it slide this time.
What I also read, is that the batteries can´t be in your checked baggage. You have to have them with you just in case they do start on fire.

The most important thing I need is to register with the FAA. FAADroneZone

The second most important thing I am taking with me though, is my Bill from when I bought the Mavic Pro.
If I don´t have that, they might want some customs and taxes when we fly back to Germany.

Just make sure that you have adequate power in batteries to fire up your quad. I had at least one occasion where the security wanted to see the unit fired up. I suspect to ensure that it is what it looks like. It seemed that the X-ray operator was new and the folks who spotted my UAV wanted to show her what a working unit looked like. Only on one occasion but ... It used to be that you had to fire up your laptop computers to demonstrate that they were not "rigged". Maybe the same thing.

I could get the lights to come on but I don´t think I could get the props to start in the middle of a No Fly Zone.

You don't need to discharge the batteries but they should travel as carry on and not go in the hold.

I am going to be flying to the U.S.A. in March and I am not going to drain my batteries.
I will be taping up the contacts to protect against short circuit. (Cheaper than the covers you can buy.)
What I am going to buy is a LiPo safe bag for each Battery and my PowerBank.
I had the Powerbank with me before and they told me at the airport that I should have a bag for it. The rule was so new that they told me they would let it slide this time.
What I also read, is that the batteries can´t be in your checked baggage. You have to have them with you just in case they do start on fire.

The most important thing I need is to register with the FAA. FAADroneZone

The second most important thing I am taking with me though, is my Bill from when I bought the Mavic Pro.
If I don´t have that, they might want some customs and taxes when we fly back to Germany.
Read the FAA site carefully. There's somewhat different rules on non-us residents registering.

Taping is OK, but there's no chance of shorts with the battery turned off. And not much chance the battery can be accidentally turned on.

i travel a lot with my drones and i have never drained the batteries, however i got cheap battery covers fro ebay.

This thread has some great info's, thank you to everyone providing the information!

Question that I have now after reading…the amazon link includes a battery cover for the drone itself - does that mean I need to remove the battery from the drone before packing into my carry on? I was not planning on doing that…yikes!

I'm going to Antigua April 1st and will be traveling with my Mavic 2 for the first time as a carry on item. I have a fly more kit and plan on housing all my equipment within it - Original + Fly More Kit (minus car charger).

That includes:
• 1x - Mavic 2 w/ battery (1) attached
• 2x - Battery (2&3) with covers from amazon
• 1x - RC
• 1x - charging hub
• 1x - charger
• 1x - iPhone 6 plus
• 1x - battery hub usb adapter
• 1x - usb to lightning cable
• 1x - usbc to usb transfer cable

I've read elsewhere about these battery bags for travel - are they necessary or the covers from the amazon link above will be fine?

Am I missing anything else?

Thanks a million everyone :)

Been on over a dozen round trips to Maui, and NO special bags used.
I put them in zip lock sandwich bags just for the ease of pulling them out of carry on if needed.
Your Case will be just fine.
It’ll be treated the same as Camera equipment.
Cruise Ships... different story.

You must have them in your carry on and not in hold luggage. No need to drink or put in isolation bags. As long as the terminals are separated no issues (so they cannot short out). You can use electrical tape or. one are simply separated buy the compartment in my bag. Make sure you read this Wave of the future or pain in the air?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25