DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone at Chimmey Rock National Momument

Gecko10

Reactions
I cannot find anything that would preclude me from flying at the above National Monument (not a park) in SW Colorado. It is not listed on the 10 Banned National Monuments list. Of course I would be doing so in the off season when few if any are there.

National monuments declared no drone zones | 2017-10-02 | ISHN

Don't Fly Your Drone Over These 10 National Monuments - Geek.com

Any help appreciated

If you are launching from outside the monument boundary then that is correct. That said, there is no guarantee that local LE actually understand the distinction.

Reactions: ksmusa
If you are launching from outside the monument boundary then that is correct. That said, there is no guarantee that local LE actually understand the distinction.
Well you got that right. I called the monument, they of course said
"Not no, but he'll no"

I asked them for the color of law or regulation they were referring to and you should have heard the walking and moaning and gnashing of teeth.

Turns out there is nothing that prohibits it.

I just love giving entrenched bureaucrats heartburn and bad dreams.

Reactions: hherbson and Arley
Take a fat kid with you and give him a cheapo remote. If the fuzz approaches, you'll be long gone while he's still waddling towards the parking lot. A bag of Cheeto's would probably make it worth his while.

Reactions: ksmusa
Take a fat kid with you and give him a cheapo remote. If the fuzz approaches, you'll be long gone while he's still waddling towards the parking lot. A bag of Cheeto's would probably make it worth his while.
Heck, you just described me, LOL.

Reactions: hherbson
Since Chimney rock is in north east Nebraska, and NOT SW Colorado, are you sure you are asking the right office? I always heard it was on privately owned land, thus no roads or paths right up to it.
If you have never been there, it is very remote. Last time I was there, all they had was one tiny visitors center that is unmanned for most of the year.
There is no foot path to it that I know of, and you can only drive to within a half mile or so.
I would think you could pull off a flight and not be bothering anyone and have little chance of anyone even knowing you were there.
Look at the site up close with google earth to see what I am talking about.

Since Chimney rock is in north east Nebraska, and NOT SW Colorado, are you sure you are asking the right office? I always heard it was on privately owned land, thus no roads or paths right up to it.
If you have never been there, it is very remote. Last time I was there, all they had was one tiny visitors center that is unmanned for most of the year.
There is no foot path to it that I know of, and you can only drive to within a half mile or so.
I would think you could pull off a flight and not be bothering anyone and have little chance of anyone even knowing you were there.
Chimney Rock National Monument - Wikipedia

I cannot find anything that would preclude me from flying at the above National Monument (not a park) in SW Colorado. It is not listed on the 10 Banned National Monuments list. Of course I would be doing so in the off season when few if any are there.

National monuments declared no drone zones | 2017-10-02 | ISHN

Don't Fly Your Drone Over These 10 National Monuments - Geek.com

Any help appreciated
Since the area is under the management of the USFS, it would seem the the NPS restrictions on drones would not apply.

The Forest Service, in general, do not restrict drone use on the properties they manage.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems | US Forest Service

Sorry, but you are wrong. Chimney Rock National Monument is in SW CO. GULP Apology accepted
Chimney Rock National Monument - Official Site

Last edited:
Reactions: Lapeer20m
Sorry, but you are wrong. Chimney Rock National Monument is in SW CO. GULP Apology accepted
Chimney Rock National Monument - Official Site
I didn’t know that existed. The real chimney rock is in Nebraska. It is a monument and has been a monument longer than Colorado and Nebraska have been states. Excuse me for confusing it with Colorado’s fake! :D

I didn’t know that existed. The real chimney rock is in Nebraska. It is a monument and has been a monument longer than Colorado and Nebraska have been states. Excuse me for confusing it with Colorado’s fake! :D

To be precise - the one in Nebraska is Chimney Rock National Historic Site, not Chimney Rock National Monument, which is in Colorado.

There sure is. You'd think they were hauling radioactive waste.

I did Chimney Rock in Nebraska from both the visitors center and the dirt road that stops at the pioneer cemetery where you can get closer to the Rock. No exclusions at either the visitor center or anywhere around there.
Chip D

I did Chimney Rock in Nebraska from both the visitors center and the dirt road that stops at the pioneer cemetery where you can get closer to the Rock. No exclusions at either the visitor center or anywhere around there.
Chip D
Chimney rock NebraskaLRM_EXPORT_20171210_065812.jpeg

I'm planning on driving through the area on Sat Sept 15th and do a couple of drone flights around it. I think starting my Mavic behind the Butte on the South side and then flying over to the Rock would be pretty neat.
Chip D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mupps64