DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone blamed for Helicopter Crash in South Carolina

And to date, there's been no evidence to suggest that it did (other than the word of the two people that ended up crashing the helicopter).

We'll see what plays out here. If it turns out that there ends up being no evidence that a drone was involved, it will probably just fade into the background and we won't get a "retraction" or corrected story. It'll just be burned into the subconscious of the general public that a drone brought down some helicopter somewhere.

Yes, I am afraid the Media is just thirsting for a Drone/Plane Crash story and they wont let the facts get in the way. And you're right, if they are wrong there will be no retraction, they owe us nothing, least of all respect.

Reactions: floyd
they turned and saw a white "DJI Phantom quad-copter" drone headed into their airspace, the report states.

I find it curious he was able to name the make and model of the drone

I would like to know if the owner of the helicopter had insurance that covered a non-owner receiving instruction from a private instructor not affiliated with a flight school.

Reactions: Skymax
I am not defending the drone pilot but how do we know the helicopter didn’t fly in the location of the drone. Automatically the drone pilot is blamed.

Do helicopter instructors have to fly in specific areas and if so do they have to register flight plans or can they fly were they want?

that's not how it works, especially with hobby drones.
go buy a FAR/AIM manual and read it. if you're going to get in the national airspace, its your responsibility to learn these things.
different classes and types of aircraft have priority over others.
and was the drone pilot talking to ATC? did he have an ADS-B or mode C transponder? not likely.

go buy a FAR/AIM manual and read it. if you're going to get in the national airspace, its your responsibility to learn these things.
and was the drone pilot talking to ATC? did he have an ADS-B or mode C transponder? not likely.
This was Class G. Neither aircraft needed to be "talking to ATC", nor did either aircraft require ADS-B or Mode C Xpdr.

I would like to know if the owner of the helicopter had insurance that covered a non-owner receiving instruction from a private instructor not affiliated with a flight school.

Not affiliated with a flight school you cannot be a legit instructor, therefore it was not a bona fide training flight and as you probably know the instructor is responsible for everything that occurs no matter that the student (if he was a student), was flying.

I guess you told ‘em! Buy an FAR/AIM manual? Talking to ATC? Altitude reporting transponder? Who are you trying to impress?

It's an information-less article. No info on the actual "crash." I for one believe helicopters should have a floor of 400 feet except when landing, taking off, or hovering. Where I fly, random helicopters will do high speed passes at 200 feet. Irritating .
The incident is in the NTSB database.

As far as what you believe, well FAR 91.119 been in effect for about 50 years. You as a drone operator is the one who has to conform, the Feds are not going to change this FAR just to support a hobby. If you think an aircraft is operating too low over your house there are ways to report it and the Feds will take action.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Exactly! My understanding is helicopters should not fly below 500' (fixed wing not below 1,000') unless they are landing or taking off, and I would imagine if they were training at an elevation of 50' above tree top, that type of training should be done at an airport. That airspace would have been proper for a drone operator.
Wrong - Read FAR 91.119

Not affiliated with a flight school you cannot be a legit instructor, therefore it was not a bona fide training flight and as you probably know the instructor is responsible for everything that occurs no matter that the student (if he was a student), was flying.

Absolutely not true. A flight instructor does not have to be affiliated with a flight school to give flight instruction, endorsements or any other privilege of the certificate.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
So, They didnt get hit by a drone, they supposedly crashed trying to avoid a DJI phantom, It had to be pretty close for them to be able to read the marking on the drone and be so sure it was not any of the HUNDREDS of phantom clones.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
And to date, there's been no evidence to suggest that it did (other than the word of the two people that ended up crashing the helicopter).

That's a disturbing statement - you don't regard a formal pilot report as actual evidence?

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
That's a disturbing statement - you don't regard a formal pilot report as actual evidence?
Brace your self, this may sting a little......
Not every pilot is a model human and incapable of lying to preserve his career.
Just like OJ didnt do it, just like bill clinton "never had sex with that woman" People will create a story to protect themselves from their mistakes. Even some pilots and engineers.

Reactions: joejaxvic123

I didn't say it wasn't evidence (that's why I included it in my statement). I don't consider it strong and reliable information, especially coming from two individuals in a highly stressful situation, coupled with a strong motivation to not be completely forthcoming.

The potential to misremember details or information in such situations is well documented:

Why Science Tells Us Not to Rely on Eyewitness Accounts

The Problem With Eyewitness Testimony

Safety investigators do take pilots' recall into account but it is highly tempered with external evidence. Unless it is corroborated with other evidence, it should be given minimal weight. Quoting researchers in the field relays this idea better than I could in this limited space:

"When memory serves as evidence... there are a number of important limitations to the veracity of that evidence. This is because memory does not provide a veridical representation of events as experienced. Rather, what gets encoded into memory is determined by what a person attends to, what they already have stored in memory, their expectations, needs and emotional state. This information is subsequently integrated (consolidated) with other information that has already been stored in a person's long-term, autobiographical memory. What gets retrieved later from that memory is determined by that same multitude of factors that contributed to encoding as well as what drives the recollection of the event. Specifically, what gets retold about an experience depends on whom one is talking to and what the purpose is of remembering that particular event (e.g., telling a friend, relaying an experience to a therapist, telling the police about an event). Moreover, what gets remembered is reconstructed from the remnants of what was originally stored; that is, what we remember is constructed from whatever remains in memory following any forgetting or interference from new experiences that may have occurred across the interval between storing and retrieving a particular experience. Because the contents of our memories for experiences involve the active manipulation (during encoding), integration with pre-existing information (during consolidation), and reconstruction (during retrieval) of that information, memory is, by definition, fallible at best and unreliable at worst."

Mark L. Howe
Department of Psychology, Centre for Memory and Law, City University London, London, UK

Nope - into the windshield. Ever see a windshield on a Robinson or for that matter a light GA aircraft?
Please someone out there help me understand. Would the gusts from the copters rotors not blow a small p4 away from its path ?

Please someone out there help me understand. Would the gusts from the copters rotors not blow a small p4 away from its path ?
That goes without saying, what you need to consider is what if the p4 passes just OVER the rotors?

Hmmm. This going to be interesting. Seems like DJI should be able to provide the flight log info. Since the copter hit a tree in the end, I suspect a final finding of "pilot error". I'd really like to see the afidavits presented to the FAA. I know if I was the student, I wouldn't lie under oath.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlayTech