DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone came in mail today - rushing to take part 107 exam

billem16

Reactions
So I am a part time wedding videographer. Always wanted a drone, because who doesn't?... but now I have a reason. To capture outdoor wedding venues from above to include as an "opener" scene to the wedding videos I produce. Again, this is part-time, weekend work, for really not much $. So my DJI Mav Pro came in the mail TODAY =) ... can't wait to set it up.

SO...
1st.... I will register my drone with FAA's website.
2nd... I'm cramming to study for this part 107 exam because I Really want to use my drone at a wedding in 10 days. I have a good understanding of airspace and sectional charts, but I need to keep studying weather, aerodynamics, etc... I better get some coffee. (TIPS anyone?!)
3rd ... IF I don't have time to take the 107 exam within 10 days or don't feel prepared... is it a VERY BAD idea to still use my drone at that wedding?? 1 - it's at an outdoor venue, vineyard, country type location. 2 - it's within class E airspace, but the E does not dip to the ground (from what I understand, because there is no dashed magenta line, just the magenta vignette). 3 - it is within 5 miles of the class E airport, about 4.5 miles actually. but again the class E starts at 700/1200 ft, I'd be below 400. 4 - it's technically for a commercial purpose, but I mean, if someone were to approach me while using it, I could just simply NOT include it in my video, thus would be recreational flying. 5 - it would not be during the wedding and over people obviously, just 5 hours before the wedding, of the empty wedding venue.

I want to take the 107 exam, but I just don't want to fail at 67% and lose $150 and have to take it again. So I want to be prepared, but not sure if I will be in 10 days.

What you are describing requires a Part 107 license, regardless of whether you use the footage or not.

Take your time and prepare. The world isn't going to end . . . and having a Part 107 doesn't mean you know how to operate a drone, it means you understand the rules you operate within.

Reactions: ksmusa
I can't help with the 107 but I do have a few pointers on your project:
• Practice flying now as much as you can so you do not waste time before the wedding.
• If shooting video, get some ND filters; can't (well, very difficult) get usable video without them.
• Get an extra micro SD card.
• Transfer your recording directly from the SD card to your computer to view/edit.
• If/when Go 4 works well for you, lock it down. Turn off auto-updates to your device and fly in airplane mode. You do not want an unplanned update to make your Mavic unusable on the day you need it.
• Try flying at the location at least a day before the event. You may need to unlock a NFZ but may not find out about it until you try to fly.

Reactions: ksmusa and billem16
It might be tough to argue that the wedding videography just happens to be flying and videoing, at the wedding, recreationally. On the plus side, 10 days is plenty to prepare for and pass the Part 107 test. On the negative side, if you have not done any aerial videography before then you probably should get a lot more practice before trying to do it commercially.

Reactions: billem16
I can't help with the 107 but I do have a few pointers on your project:
• Practice flying now as much as you can so you do not waste time before the wedding.
• If shooting video, get some ND filters; can't (well, very difficult) get usable video without them.
• Get an extra micro SD card.
• Transfer your recording directly from the SD card to your computer to view/edit.
• If/when Go 4 works well for you, lock it down. Turn off auto-updates to your device and fly in airplane mode. You do not want an unplanned update to make your Mavic unusable on the day you need it.
• Try flying at the location at least a day before the event. You may need to unlock a NFZ but may not find out about it until you try to fly.
Very much appreciate your tips and not judging me for being a newb lol. Can you elaborate on Go4? Is that the DJI software? I’m going to set that stuff up tonight or tomorrow. Unfortunately the location isn’t very near me so I will be Road tripping there only the day of.
The airplane mode tip is great thanks!
Yes I’m planning to buy some ND filters, the basic 3 pack of 4, 8, 16. Do you recommend PL versions? Or just plain ND

...Can you elaborate on Go4? Is that the DJI software?...
...Yes I’m planning to buy some ND filters, the basic 3 pack of 4, 8, 16. Do you recommend PL versions? Or just plain ND
• Go 4 is the DJI software that you run on your display device. You will learn about that as you go through the setup routine. A guide that I found useful is at: Syonyk's Project Blog: DJI Mavic Pro: The Missing Handbook: Basic Operations. It may be a bit dated now but I still find it informative.
• I use polarized filters but they can be difficult to orient properly for the optimum polarized effect. No matter how mounted, they will still allow you to slow down the shutter speed to eliminate the jerky motion you will get without them. You may also need a 32 filter if it is a very bright day.

Some additional items:
• There are two formats for video; MOV and MP4. You can use either but MOV is meant for Apple products and MP4 is for PC's. Depending on your software it is probably easier to set the format for the type of computer you will use to view/edit.
• If you are going to shoot video in 4K make sure your computer can support it.

I'm cramming to study for this part 107 exam because I Really want to use my drone at a wedding in 10 days. I have a good understanding of airspace and sectional charts, but I need to keep studying weather, aerodynamics, etc... I better get some coffee. (TIPS anyone?!)
You can find a lot of good FAA Part 107 study resources here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121